PDA

View Full Version : There and back again

thedrifter
08-17-07, 08:50 AM
There and back again

JENNIFER HLAD
August 17, 2007 - 12:21AM
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Any homecoming is a time of celebration. But for Cpl. Brian Borzek and Marisa Maloney, Thursday was especially sweet.

Borzek, a Marine with 3rd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, returned from Iraq on Thursday - and immediately popped the question.

"It just felt right," he said.

Maloney, who said she generally does not like surprises, said yes.

"It's awesome," she said, still wiping away happy tears. "I had no clue; everyone kept it (a secret). I was just crying, in shock."

Borzek said he had been planning the marriage proposal the whole time he was in Iraq, and he even bought the ring there. He also arranged for their families to be there for the big moment.

Borzek was one of about 170 Marines who returned home to their family and friends Thursday after a seven-month deployment to Iraq. The unit's work reached "across the counter-insurgency spectrum," said Lt. Col. Jim McGrath, the battalion's commanding officer.

During the time the Marines were there, McGrath said, the 750 men were able to control their small area - about the size of Main Side Camp Lejeune - and expand out and secure two other areas.

"We were one of the few battalions that was able to expand our area ... to four times what it was," he said.

The Marines "really understood the mission," and knew it was important to "focus on winning the trust and respect of the people," he said.

The deployment was Lance Cpl. Chad Estel's third, and his second since he began dating Charlene Manak, she said.

The two are engaged to be married in November, she said, and though being apart was difficult, Manak really began to get antsy last month, she said.

The last few hours were the worst, she said, because of the anticipation.

Margaret Brunecz said she had many sleepless nights while her son, Pfc. Dustin Macfarlene, was gone.

It was difficult when he left, she said, but the hardest was after his close friend was killed.

"We're so blessed to have them home," she said.

When Lance Cpl. Larry Delph left Camp Lejeune, his wife, Luz, was four-and-a-half months pregnant. He returned Aug. 9 as the father of a nearly 2-month-old baby.

Delph originally found out his wife was pregnant when he was doing training in California, he said.

"I was in shock," he said. "I think I'm still trying to let it settle in."

Delph said it was difficult to leave his wife, but he knew she was strong.

Luz Delph, a teacher at Jacksonville High School, taught until the last day of school. She gave birth to Tomas the next week, on June 19.

The pregnancy was not bad, she said, but "being by myself was terrible."

Coming home to an empty house every day "was harder than I thought" and became harder after Tomas was born, she said.

Having her husband home is nice, she said, though he is at a disadvantage.

"He's still learning to be a dad," she said. "I had adjustment time already - he's having that now."

But, she said, "He's learning well."

Contact Jennifer Hlad at jhlad@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, ext. 8449. To comment on this story, visit www.jdnews.com.

Ellie