View Full Version : Passing on tradition

thedrifter
08-17-07, 08:39 AM
Passing on tradition
Fishing event sparks memories of fallen Marine

August 17, 2007
By Hank Beckman Special to The Sun

Sometimes a picture says it all.

This one showed 5-year-old Tommy Gilbert proudly holding up the first fish he ever caught at Herrick Lake.

His face is half hidden by a smallmouth bass and his grandfather stands next to him, beaming at the youngster he's taught to fish.

Tommy grew up to be a sergeant with the U.S. Marine Corps. On Aug. 11, hundreds of well-wishers and youngsters turned out where Tommy caught that first fish to take part in the inaugural Sgt. Thomas Gilbert Memorial Day of Fishing.

Gilbert, a 2000 graduate of Downers Grove North High School, was killed in action Oct. 25, 2006, in the al-Anbar province of Iraq. He was 24.

Gilbert's father, Michael, spoke of the importance of the outdoors to his son, who once took down a mountain lion with a bow and arrow.

"He wished more kids had the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors as he did ... the purpose of this day is youth and education, to show them an appreciation of the outdoors."

Children from all over the area lined up to learn about fishing from members of the DuPage County Forest Rangers and the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance.

Sponsors included Operation Homefront Illinois, the DuPage Marines League and Bass Pro Shops of Bolingbrook.

Lunch was courtesy of the Dog Stop of Chicago.

Proceeds from the event are earmarked for other events sponsored by the Sgt. Thomas M. Gilbert Memorial Foundation.

Michael Gilbert left no doubt that he supported the military's efforts in the Iraq, especially the recent surge.

"The purpose (of the U.S. effort) is to provide the Iraqis the freedoms we have ... and it's (the surge) working. The month he died, there were about 100 deaths a month ... in July, there were two."

Michael Gilbert stressed the volunteer nature of the modern military.

"We should remember all those serving overseas ... he had a choice. He didn't have to go," he said.

Thomas Gilbert volunteered to serve in Iraq after serving in Africa in a terrorist-fighting unit; his five best friends volunteered with him and one of those buddies was on hand.

Andrew Music, a native of Flint, Mich., said Thomas Gilbert was "the best friend I ever had. He was more of a brother to me. He took me under his wing about the outdoors. He would be having a ball today."

Family members remembered the young man everyone called "Tommy."

"He was a sweet kid," his grandmother, Joann Cooper, said.

"He was the dictionary definition of a role model," said cousin Kalyn Cooper. "You could only remember good things about this kid. He taught his cousins about the outdoors and taught my little brother fishing. He was a reliable friend."

Former Chicago Bear Dennis McKinnon also showed up to pay his respects.

"My brother is a 31-year veteran of the Army," McKinnon said. "When I hear of a fallen soldier, I think 'He's our brother.' This affects their families and their lives."

For the young anglers, it was a day to remember.

Brandon Andac, 10, was excited about "the third fish I ever caught."

Cameron Schwebl, 4, caught his first fish and vowed to "catch some more."

Chad Reynolds, 9, had a smallmouth bass fall off his line as he was reeling it in, but promptly caught a crappie on his next cast. He said his secret was casting near the weeds.

As for the grandfather in the picture, he's still fishing.

"I started him fishing at five, and he was a natural," George Cooper said.

"By the time he was a teenager, he was teaching me."

Ellie