PDA

View Full Version : reenlistment question

jinan1
08-17-07, 02:32 AM
Former marine looking to reenlist. I spent 8 years in the corps and have a re-1a code. I got out in 1997, I then joined the airforce reserves in 2001 and got out in 2004. I have a total military active time of 10 years. Would I qualify for the PSEP program or any other program for prior marines. My mos was 0331 but I'm looking into the critical mos of counter intelligence. I also was jump qualified and was a drill instructor! would I keep my rank? Can you negotiate with meps? please any help would be great.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-17-07, 08:02 PM
First, look up your local active duty recruiter. They'll be able to give you the skinny on reenlisting and the whole bit. Keeping your rank will depend on lots of things, if you were a SNCO don't bank on it.

Finally, be PERSISTANT. Don't let up and keep after the recruiter to get you back on active duty. Oh, one last thing, once you sign that contract, you are immediately back on active duty; be prepared to report to your next duty station with only "Delay for travel".

yanacek
08-17-07, 08:11 PM
You cannot negotiate with the MEPS Liaison. The MEPS is only there to conduct processing.

Once you are found mentally and physically qualified, you will have a brief interview to document your prior service and what you would like to do IF you are permitted to reenlist. HQMC make the decision on everything--rank, MOS, duty station, term of enlistment, bonus eligibility. The recruiter, the MEPS Liaison, and the RS Operations section will be able to give you a pretty good idea though. In my experience, their is little room to negotiate with HQMC. It's generally "take it or leave it."