PDA

View Full Version : Son Leaving for Boot Camp on 8/27...a Mom's questions...

tohegal
08-17-07, 12:58 AM
Hello Marines,
My son leaves for Parris Island on 8/27. I know he can't bring a stitch of anything with him...but what kinds of items can I send him once I get his address? I was advised never to write any sentimental things on the outside of the box and never to send homemade chocolate chip cookies or stuff like that....but what can I send him? Vitamins? Deodorant? Gum? Shaving cream? Bug spray? Cortisone cream for all the sand flea bites??

Also, this might be a stupid question, but who does their laundry? Is there a laundry room where all the recruits do their own wash?

Also, is there a chance he could be injured at Boot Camp by an explosive or a weapon? Or let me phrase that another way...do they deal with live ammunition at Boot Camp or afterwards at the next phase of training?

Is Parris Island in North or South Carolina? We just drove up and down 95 from Florida back to our home in PA (for vacation) and never saw a sign for Parris Island along the way. Is this for a reason?

We thought it was so awesome though...when we were driving past the Andrews Air Force Base exit...to see right in front of us, taking off, a huge jet plane that said "United States of America" on the side with a flag. We were jazzed that it could've been the President!! I know there are probably a few huge jets that say that on the side... but we thought it was very cool.
:cool:

Any last minute recommendations for my son? He has been running a few miles daily and doing his pushups and pullups...but his hair is on the long shaggy side and he has a goatee. Should he get a hair cut before he leaves? Not a buzz cut...but just a short-guy type cut. I'm not sure he should arrive at BC with his shaggy hair and goatee....I know it'll all be shaved off anyway...but will they have a more favorable impression of him if he is clean shaven when he arrives? These are things that only a Mom worries about!!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Amy

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-17-07, 01:15 AM
It is really best to only send your recruit letters and maybe an occasional newspaper clipping if there is something of real interest to him. Everything he needs will be provided, and anything you send will probably be thrown away, and could get him into trouble.

They will put their laundry in a big bag and it will be done and returned to them. It is all washed at once, so how clean anything gets is up for debate. It beats how we did it in San Diego in the 90's, cold water and cement tables with scrub brushes.

The recruits will go to the rifle range and shoot every day for a week. It isn't really possible to learn to shoot if you don't actually shoot. They will also do a few other things with live ammunition. There is always a chance of being injured in training, but it is small~ particularly at boot camp. Everything is closely monitored and they are well trained before any ammo is given to them. Honestly though, if we trained in such a way as to ensure that there were never injuries during training, our Marines would not be prepared when they go into harm's way.

Paris Island is in SC. I also went down 95 south into Florida and never saw an exit that mentioned PI. But then, it isn't all that close to the interstate. It is very near Beaufort, SC and Savannah, GA isn't far away.

His hair doesn't matter much. Shaving would be a good idea before he went.

tohegal
08-17-07, 01:26 AM
Thanks Echo_Four_Bravo!

rvillac2
08-17-07, 01:38 AM
Hello Marines,
My son leaves for Parris Island on 8/27. I know he can't bring a stitch of anything with him...but what kinds of items can I send him once I get his address? I was advised never to write any sentimental things on the outside of the box and never to send homemade chocolate chip cookies or stuff like that....but what can I send him? Vitamins? Deodorant? Gum? Shaving cream? Bug spray? Cortisone cream for all the sand flea bites??

Also, this might be a stupid question, but who does their laundry? Is there a laundry room where all the recruits do their own wash?

Also, is there a chance he could be injured at Boot Camp by an explosive or a weapon? Or let me phrase that another way...do they deal with live ammunition at Boot Camp or afterwards at the next phase of training?

Is Parris Island in North or South Carolina? We just drove up and down 95 from Florida back to our home in PA (for vacation) and never saw a sign for Parris Island along the way. Is this for a reason?

We thought it was so awesome though...when we were driving past the Andrews Air Force Base exit...to see right in front of us, taking off, a huge jet plane that said "United States of America" on the side with a flag. We were jazzed that it could've been the President!! I know there are probably a few huge jets that say that on the side... but we thought it was very cool.
:cool:

Any last minute recommendations for my son? He has been running a few miles daily and doing his pushups and pullups...but his hair is on the long shaggy side and he has a goatee. Should he get a hair cut before he leaves? Not a buzz cut...but just a short-guy type cut. I'm not sure he should arrive at BC with his shaggy hair and goatee....I know it'll all be shaved off anyway...but will they have a more favorable impression of him if he is clean shaven when he arrives? These are things that only a Mom worries about!!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Amy

Very few things motivate a Recruit more than hearing their name at Mail Call. You should simply write often and inspire others to write to him, too. Remember that they do not have TV, radio, or regular access to newspapers. They would love to hear news of home and friends even if it's just idle gossip. Photographs are nice, too.

It is extremely unlikely that he will be injured by an explosive or firearm during initial training. As much as we play with very dangerous toys, we've become very good at handling them. Us older Marines are especially watchful of our younger brothers. Perhaps the most dangerous activity is hand grenade throwing. Trust me when I say that the Drill Instructor is VERY close to the recruit when a live grenade is involved. He's practically in the other guys uniform. They ensure that the weapon is handled and employed safely (for our side at least, who cares about the enemy.)

Your son will be in good hands.

tohegal
08-17-07, 01:47 AM
Good to know rvillac2. I will remember that, and just write to him often. And pray for him every time I think of it! Thanks!

Covey_Rider
08-17-07, 03:32 AM
As far as mail is concerned you may be allowed to send him more then just letters. We were allowed to have power bars sent to us and they were kept in the DI's office until events like Physical Fitness Tests etc. It'll be a little while into boot camp before you hear from him because first phase is all about taking them out of the mindset of a civilian and he we will be put on an "island" so to speak in his mind. But yes as mentioned before letters, photos, and news of home and what's going on in the world is always good. While I was in boot at one point we all thought that we were going back into battle with North Korea and that they'd bombed somebody haha. So yeah, news is good.

Tell him good luck from myself and all the other Marines and support him with everything he does and everything will work out.

thewookie
08-17-07, 06:44 AM
I wouldn't send him any cookies or snacks or any stuff like that. Maybe power bars are okay now but he's not going down there for snack time. My DI's had fits when that stuff came in, every great once in a while they let us taste something, maybe once. But usually they made the Marine who received the package regret it was sent to him. We had this guy, Kline, his family sent him a 12 inch, solid, chocolate easter bunny. Oh boy. DI Sgt. Wallace, and DI Sgt. Baker made him open his mouth and then they forced that thing down his mouth like a tree branch into a wood chipper, in practically no time. And then a few weeks later, he was sent a can of Copenhagen. DI Sgt. Baker told him to open his canteen, he then opened the can of dip and told Kline to tilt his head back. Then he poured the whole thing, I swear on my mother, lol, he poured the whole tin in his mouth, and then he had him drink whole the canteen. Or try to. LOL. Kline puked everywhere. (Disclaimer; Kline was a 2nd phase pick up, and not what I would say a stellar achiever in boot camp) LOL

2nd disclaimer - Mamm, I had a unique experience at boot camp (everybody does,) with a crazy and unique bunch of Drill Instructors. This was back a few days ago and probably nothing like what your son will see today. So don't worry, but, don't send him any dip/tobacco or any chocolate easter bunnies, or in his case, No Halloween candy.

Tell your son to shave his face and to get his hair trimmed. He's getting close, and I think it's time for him to start focusing on what he's about to do, and try to get his head (mentally) in the game, as much as possible.

And don't you worry, Mamm, he's in good hands down there and nobody wants to hurt him. They want to make him a Marine.

immaproshooter
08-17-07, 09:25 AM
first off let me mention Ma'am you wont have to worry your son will not even encounter the practice grenades at Boot Camp....that will come in the next phase of training when he goes to Jacksonville, NC to SOI .....i recently Graduated from Parris Island back in May...so any questions you may have for more recent Happenings feel free to PM me and i will be glad to talk to you about everything i experienced...as well as i just graduated from my training at SOI in jacksonville, NC only 2 weeks ago.

Oh, and Ma'am,...try sticking to strictly Letters, news paper clippings and Pictures as well.....your son can ask his Drill Instructors or they will inform them of stuff like Power bars and when they will be allowed to recieve such items from their families if at all

Alphaonethree
08-17-07, 02:55 PM
Amy tell his friends to write him as well. The more mail he gets the better. His life is going to hurt him for a little while. Oh dont worry we all get through it. I have to echo what everyone says about packages, DONT SEND THEM. We had a recruit that thought it would be cool if his mom sent enough CC cookies in for the platoon. Not so cool for him he was barfing cookies through his nose during PT. Do not send him bad news, do not whine or complain about things going on at home. What he will need is positive reinforcment and encouragement from his family and friends. He will have enough on his mind without having to worry about whats going on at home.

Good luck and Semper FI

SgtHMH
08-17-07, 05:04 PM
Don't send food items because the DIs will either make him eat it all at once, then make him work it off. Meaning they like to play games and sweat it out of you. When I was in Boot Camp a guy in my Platoon got a sheet birthday cake, what a day that was. He had to stay in the duty hut and three of us recruits would switch off through the whole Platoon and eat the cake for time. I went in the Duty Hut four or five times, until that whole cake was done. Then the Platoon had to work the cake off, we went to the pit and got bent. Also don't spray the letters to make them smell good, don't send colored envolopes or he will be bent also. Also the more letters you get the more push ups you do, also if you don't get mail you do push ups. Either way you can't win and you do push ups. You do your wash outside on the wash rack as how I did it.

Semper Fi

bulldogssemprfi
08-17-07, 08:13 PM
he is in good hands and he will all way remember this that he left for bc, it would be a good Ideal if he cuts his hair and shave,but the drill sgt will yell at every one any ways does not matter what they look like or what color they are so mam don't worry about the small stuff because when you go and see him at grad, you will see how pround he is juct to look at him you will be able to tell. at that time and second will last you a life time and for him he will be a Marine for ever no matter what so don't worry just be pround that you have brought up a man and a Marine. ps God bless you for giving us one more Marine in are world

Ironrider
08-17-07, 08:25 PM
I agree with my Brothers here....mail,mail and more mail. From anyone, it does wonderful things for morale.:marine:

CHOPPER7199
08-17-07, 08:51 PM
Yo, mail and more mail, but please no lip smugges or smelling envelops. Gee, tell all the gals that. Hated that chit. lmao

tohegal
08-17-07, 11:15 PM
I've heard about the "no sweets" rule....I can only imagine what hell it is when a recruit gets homemade cookies from Mom! I will not do that to the platoon..or to my son! So, the overall consensus is letters from home, from everyone....and no stinky kisses or hugs written on the outside! Are photos of our pets ok to send? The dog is really going to miss him...and vice versa. I don't want him to be punished for having a picture of the dog....so I won't send one if that is something the DI's don't like.
I am so proud of him already...I can't even imagine what Graduation Day will be like. I'll be the one crying my eyes out and laughing with joy at the same time.
Thanks Marines...for all of your great answers. You helped a lot!!

immaproshooter
08-17-07, 11:23 PM
with all due respect Ma'am....you'll be crying along with everyone else in the stands.....

tohegal
08-17-07, 11:38 PM
You're right...we will all be crying.

Alphaonethree
08-18-07, 08:35 AM
I have to correct my fellow Marine SGT HMH. Recriuts laundry is not done in cold water on the concrete wash rack anymore. There laundry is, Get this ! Picked up and done for them and then returned to them OMG. Gone are the days of cloths pins on you cover brim and bottles of Wisk with a scrub brush. :!: :!: :!:

Marine84
08-18-07, 09:07 AM
I have to correct my fellow Marine SGT HMH. Recriuts laundry is not done in cold water on the concrete wash rack anymore. There laundry is, Get this ! Picked up and done for them and then returned to them OMG. Gone are the days of cloths pins on you cover brim and bottles of Wisk with a scrub brush.

:scared:

Marine84
08-18-07, 09:14 AM
You're right...we will all be crying.

Graduation ceremonies get me too and I don't even have kids (of my own) going through it! It's an AWESOME show! I've been on both sides of it (on the Parade Deck and in the stands) and it is WAY better from the stands. You will have SUCH a good time! OH! And get a new memory card for the camera - one that has more space. :)

SgtHMH
08-18-07, 03:36 PM
What do they do in Boot Camp now a days ? they don't polish boots, brass, wash cloths, spit shine shoes, I guess they have alot of pit time. What is the name of the "Wiskey Locker" then, if there is no use for Wisk ? Dang I got bent for damp cloths as did others in my Platoon, that where in my foot locker. Now they got wall lockers I guess LOLOLOL. Sending out there cloths to be done LOLOL what or where did the Corp go to. I remember shaving out of the metal helmet and learning how to field bath out of it. I guess times have changed, or I can call my self part of old Corp LOLOL. Do you still slap the letter out of the DIs hand, meaning like clap your hands together and pull it out of his hands to get it ? Also do you still do push ups for the letters and the color of it ?

Semper Fi

immaproshooter
08-18-07, 04:38 PM
nope....sorry Sgt..you are definitely Old Corps....

immaproshooter
08-18-07, 04:39 PM
our platoon spent hours field daying the house though....or scuzzing the deck alot....

tohegal
08-18-07, 09:44 PM
Ok, here's another question for ya'll. My son has been doing a lot of running, and his knee is bothering him. I'm sure it is nothing serious....it's not constant pain, but it feels better if he runs with it in a wrap. Should I take him to our family dr before the 27th, or leave it alone and let him go on to PI? He has never had any serious knee issues, but when he was 12, he had Osgood Schlatters (which is some kind of growth plate issue that many adolescent boys get). His ship date is now so close...his recruiter is telling him to stop running and stay off the knee as much as possible. Is this good advice? Any other suggestions?? Thanks.

mcgannph
08-18-07, 10:26 PM
tohegal,

About the knee. Honestly, if it was me, I wouldn't play around with that--if you get injured on Parris Island you go to MRP (Medical Rehabilitation Platoon)...and that is something that I'm sure your son definately does not want to be in. I had a friend who graduated with me who had been in MRP for 2 months, and on the island since October of 2006 (I graduated August 2007).

Anyhow, tell your son to also make sure he stretches his knee, because often it isn't the actual knee that is hurting when you run, but the ligaments that run along the inside and outside of your knee. That happened to me at boot camp and I was scared to death during the first few weeks because I had never had knee pain before and did NOT want to get dropped and spend a second longer than I had to on PI.

Some kid there had had the same issue as me before and taught me some stretches--didn't have knee pain again.

Tell your son to lie on his side and pull his leg back by the ankle as if he was trying to stretch his quadricep, except just hold it and it should stretch the tendons in the knees.
Also, while standing, have your son put his leg up on a table or something and overextend the leg at the knee to stretch the ligaments and tendons.
That's what I did anyway and it cleared up the pain where it felt like my knee was locking up.

tohegal
08-18-07, 11:27 PM
Thanks Mcgannph,
I will pass along the info and suggestions, and I will probably just have his knee looked at this week, just to be on the safe side.

Amy

rvillac2
08-19-07, 01:47 AM
Ok, here's another question for ya'll. My son has been doing a lot of running, and his knee is bothering him. I'm sure it is nothing serious....it's not constant pain, but it feels better if he runs with it in a wrap. Should I take him to our family dr before the 27th, or leave it alone and let him go on to PI? He has never had any serious knee issues, but when he was 12, he had Osgood Schlatters (which is some kind of growth plate issue that many adolescent boys get). His ship date is now so close...his recruiter is telling him to stop running and stay off the knee as much as possible. Is this good advice? Any other suggestions?? Thanks.

I had Osgood's too. It shouldn't bother him as an adult. If his knee is seriously bothering him, it's either injured or stressed.

If it is not constant pain or doesn't linger after he's worked out, I wouldn't worry about it. If you decide to see a doctor before he ships, all of his records will need to be disclosed and they'll really scrutinize things.

He won't be able to wrap it in PI (unless that's another thing that's changed). My suggestion would be to take it easy until he ships. If he can pass the IST run, then he will be fine working his way up at PI. He can work on maxing out his crunches and pull ups.

tohegal
08-19-07, 02:14 AM
Gotcha. He is not hobbling around or anything like that...but it does linger after he is done running. He was never a runner in the past...only started really running about 4 months ago. I should've taken him to a shoe store to be really fitted for good running shoes. We went the Famous Footwear route, which saved money, but possibly contributed to his injury.

Are the running shoes (or go fasters) issued at Boot Camp of really good quality for running? I think I read somewhere on here that they are New Balance. Do they have good support? They will be wearing the crap out of them I assume...and they won't have any soles by the end of the 13 weeks!

Arrghhh...just what we needed this week...an issue to complicate things. I think I will call his recruiter and speak to him about it to ease my mind.

Thanks all.

mcgannph
08-19-07, 06:16 AM
We actually were allowed to wear knee wraps in boot camp for PT. It may have just been our platoon, but as long as the leg wrap was the same color as your skin, there wasn't a problem with wearing one.

Also, on the go faster's, they are New Balance's. When you get there, they'll see if your son's foot has a high arch, no arch, or a normal arch. Then they'll give him a shoe/insert for that type of foot.

I was "diagnosed" wrong, and once I received my go faster's, had to turn them back in for a different pair, as the ones given to me for an apparent high arch felt extremely uncomfortable. Tell your son to make sure all of his stuff is comfortable--especially boots, as you'll wear the hell out of those. Don't worry if a processing drill instructor gets upset for "wasting time" and not just going fast. I'd much rather get yelled at in the first few days then have problems later on and possibly have to buy new boots or shoes.

immaproshooter
08-19-07, 09:57 AM
you do get new balance and myself being semi flat footed got a pair that really helped me ive aways had problems running...and as far as the wraps go it is strictly upto the indiviual DI's ours wouldnt hear of it we had people ask many times and they laughed at em and told them to suck it up.....or that they could be sent to medical and let they navy doc's take care of them..which usually meant light duty and you get made fun of for being on that or getting dropper to medical platoon depending on what they see fit...

SlingerDun
08-21-07, 02:33 PM
Hello Marines, Any last minute recommendations for my son?Yep, forget about the sippy cup and booty jammies and cut the cord. He's in for an abrupt transition complete with a new set of Doppelgänger mothers. :evilgrin: