PDA

View Full Version : i need some advice

xero
08-16-07, 08:26 PM
i need your help i used to cut myself thinking it was cool i am mentaly ok this all took place when i was 13 and now i am 16 and i have already decided to join the Military and on hopefully joining the USMC i am curently in NJROTC i need to know if i can join knowing that i have cuts if not is there any other way please let me know.......Thank For Taking Time To Read This Sir/Ma'am

Zulu 36
08-16-07, 08:34 PM
i need your help i used to cut myself thinking it was cool i am mentaly ok this all took place when i was 13 and now i am 16 and i have already decided to join the Military and on hopefully joining the USMC i am curently in NJROTC i need to know if i can join knowing that i have cuts if not is there any other way please let me know.......Thank For Taking Time To Read This Sir/Ma'am

When you say you "cut" yourself, how many times, where, and how deep. Juvenile cutting is not usually because it's "cool."

xero
08-16-07, 08:39 PM
maybe only like only 10 cuts on my shoulder and only deep to leave light scares

Phantom Blooper
08-16-07, 08:42 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-harm

I am not sure I would think based on the definition above that you should ask a recruiter. But in my opine visible scars or not visible unless Marine related (war,injury)would be grounds for psych DQ.:evilgrin:

Zulu 36
08-16-07, 08:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-harm

I am not sure I would think based on the definition above that you should ask a recruiter. But in my opine visible scars or not visible unless Marine related (war,injury)would be grounds for psych DQ.:evilgrin:

This pretty much sums it up. I have some experience with juvenile cutting as my now 14-year old daughter did that while living with her mother. Now that she is with me, she hasn't done it since. But she still has issues.

xero
08-16-07, 08:53 PM
Thank you both Zulu and Phantom just talk to my recruiter

Haffner
08-16-07, 09:02 PM
Zulu, believe it or not -- in some cases, and more so in some areas, it can easily be misconstrued by younger ones to think cutting is cool.

Teens work by association. EG: a certain style of music becomes very popular, the teens emulate their dress, speech, actions, mannerisms, extracurricular(sp?) activities. You see it all the time, predominantly with emo music.

Not saying that was what you were like or anything, Xero, just making my point.

sparkie
08-16-07, 09:20 PM
my wife cut me once, Does that count? Seriously,,,, Get over it,,, Sometimes,,, What your recruter don't know,, won't hurt you.Most of times that isn't true But sometimes,,,,,,,,

Phantom Blooper
08-16-07, 09:38 PM
Xero tell the recruiter....it will save you embarrassment futher down the road. Make sure he knows and defers to MEPS what you should or should not do. As stated before honesty when applying is the best policy. Hate to see you enlist get past MEPS and get pulled out of a MCRD and sent home.

Least a recruiter can do is make you apply for a waiver...time consuming but worth it in the long run. Read some old poolee post in the forum about making it all the way and getting pulled for fraud. Not starting off on the right foot. Tell on yourself...:evilgrin: