PDA

View Full Version : "If I Were Commandant" ....

GyGUSMCRet
03-25-03, 06:25 PM
Years ago, Leatherneck magazine had a column titled, "If I Were Commandant."

They published, in this monthly column, articles written by readers as to certain ideas they had about the Marine Corps, e.g., if I were Commandant, I would bring back the battle jacket; if I were Commandant, I would get rid of that useless raincoat; if I were Commandant, I would go back to the seven pay-grade rank structure, etc.

I dunno when Leatherneck dropped that column from their lineup, I retired in 1972, it may or may not have been gone at that time, and I don't recall ever picking up a Leatherneck again until the last three or four years--and it was gone at that time.

As I recall, it was a useful, and sometimes very interesting feature of Leatherneck. Some of the ideas folks had were pretty good, and others were asinine, still others somewhat humorous.

Thought it my make for an interesting topic here on Sgt Grit's....

So, if you've got some ideas on how you would change your Corps--have at it; otherwise, just ferget the whole thing!

DickG
;)

JChristin
03-25-03, 06:29 PM
I'd be the first "Woman Marine Commandant."

well overdue.

semper fi,
jchristin

Osotogary
03-25-03, 07:40 PM
I guess I'd look for an outstanding NCO to run the whole show!
Seriously, I don't know and I am not qualified to be taken seriously in this matter but it is an interesting question. I personally know some wonderfully qualified and gifted, hard Corps Officers but my soul lies with the NCO's.
Gary

Sgt Sostand
03-25-03, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by JChristin
I'd be the first "Woman Marine Commandant."

well overdue.

semper fi,
jchristin

hmm i dont know about that. dont get me wrong but a woman have to many mood swings (PMS):bunny:

SheWolf
03-25-03, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Sgt Sostand

hmm i dont know about that. dont get me wrong but a woman have to many mood swings (PMS):bunny:

:D Would YOU want to face a battalion of PMS'ing women???
Might be a good thing ya know:cool:

JChristin
03-25-03, 08:28 PM
yaaaaa,

those poor male Marines who had ever made discouraging jokes about women Marines...oh the payback would be ever sooo sweet, especially during a hot flash!

semper fi,
jchristin

obieone
03-25-03, 08:37 PM
If I was the C.M.C. I think I would never forget one of my men that gave the ultimite sacrifice under my command.

Sgt Sostand
03-25-03, 08:48 PM
all i can say is hahahah LOL

JChristin
03-25-03, 09:03 PM
i feel another hot flash coming on...

locked and loaded!

wait...i'm having a crying fit!

If I were Commandant, I'd reactivate everyone on leatherneck.com

ha ha ha, stand on line!

obieone
03-25-03, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by JChristin
i feel another hot flash coming on...

locked and loaded!

wait...i'm having a crying fit!

If I were Commandant, I'd reactivate everyone on leatherneca ha ha, stand on line!

Where does the line form up and please do not stand in the way there could be a stampede

SHOOTER1
03-25-03, 09:12 PM
I for one, never had a problem (working under a women) heck ya lets give it another try.:yes: :evilgrin:

wrbones
03-25-03, 09:17 PM
As CMC, I'd be something of a jerk from an enlisted man's point of view. Training, Training, Training. What didn't go to combat readiness and effectiveness would go straight to training. A Marine would become THE deadliest fighting instrument the world has ever thought of..

I would change the rules of engagement by hook or by crook. If they're in a combat zone with a weapon and not on our side, they're meat.

Give the kids enough to live on fer cryin' out loud. If they're doin' they're jobs right, nearly everything they've got is goin' back into the Corps anyway. Give them enough to live on.

Did I say Training?

mrbsox
03-25-03, 09:28 PM
Cussin...

Can we CUSS Gen. 'bones.... can we, huh, huh, can we huh

:banana: :banana:

greensideout
03-25-03, 09:36 PM
Bones, you're HARDCORE! LMAO

Oh, sorry Sir!

GyGUSMCRet
03-26-03, 08:25 AM
If I Were Commandant...

Remembering past sometimes politically incorrect Marine Generals--Butler, Shoup, Puller, etc....

I hope I would have the nuts to stand up to PC and uphold Marine Corps tradition and continue to endorse the raising of our colors wherever Marines have taken the objective assigned to them! Those whose feelings might be hurt by this can just GFYs!!!

From the book, A Fellowship Of Valor, by Col Joseph H. Alexander, USMC Ret, 1997, Harper Collins, we learn the following regarding the flag raising in Seoul, Korea on 27 Spetember, 1950...
"...Leathernecks (Pfc Leguire shown) raised the American flag over the U.S. Embassy with a greatcheer. It felt so good they repeated the process at the French--and many other--embassies."

"An envious Army officer from Almond's staff chided Chesty Puller: 'Ever since that flag-raising picture on Iwo Jima got published, I'm convinced you Marines would rather carry a flag into battle than a weapon.' Puller regarded the man icily, 'Not a bad idea,' he growled, 'a man with a flag in his pack and the desire to run it up on an enemy position isn't likely to bug out!'"

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/judiearnold/iraqflag.jpg

GyGUSMCRet
03-26-03, 08:45 AM
Note:
I will continue to post here at Leatherneck.com--I now am only able to do so using IE browser only (not able to use Netscape 7.o) and also had to establish a new e-mail addy as previous two are unacceptable--also I am now using GyGUSMCRet as username--previous usernames have been gunnyg and gyg1345--once the present user name is screwed up....that's it.

DickG
Non illigitamus carborundum,

Sparrowhawk
03-26-03, 09:03 AM
If I were the Corps Commandant

I would give all enlisted personnel a 72 hour liberty pass...

see you got to think like a grunt, before you cna be an effecctive
Commandant .... LOL

Barrio_rat
03-26-03, 10:42 AM
A beer machine in every barracks and a.... oh yeah, that one's taken!

I say, get the chevrons back on the covers.

Many of you have had some good ideas. To Bones, Gen Gray did some major turn around in the Corps on many of those very issues - I think it helped the Corps, over all and made it even better.

JChristin, it's a nice thought but that possition is reserved for this one (it may be long over due, but it takes time and timing is everything) ;)

If ya notice, she's already working on her face cammo - LOL

Sgt Sostand
03-26-03, 10:54 AM
Nice Pic Barrio_rat :)

JChristin
03-26-03, 11:53 AM
Rat:

I'll just get the CMC office in order for your daughter. She's a beauty and will make a fantastic CMC.

For today’s urban warfare: I would issue an order to shoot every anti-war protester up the tail pipe who burns our beautiful American flag.

semper fi,
jchristin

Barrio_rat
03-26-03, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the compliments... The girl has a great deal to live up to though... First she's gonna be the first female PBR rodeo champion then she'll have to work on her career in the Marines.. LOL nah, I haven't set the bar to high or anything... hehehe

I like yer idea there, JC.. but in the state of portland, that's a lot of shootin - and they frown on that over there. Tell ya what, when the whistle pig population gets low, send 'em over here - us rednecks need something to shoot at - we call it venting!

LOL

JChristin
03-26-03, 12:20 PM
Hey Rat,

We can gather'em up, take them to my old heavily forested ranch up in Washington Gulch, just west of Baker City - out Pochohanis Road, up in the Blue's. Today, we'll just call it a "bonding" experience. We use to call it Baker County justice. That is until law enforcement was investigated.

I’m from the wonderful state of Eastern Oregon too. Jeff Foxworthy is a sly city slicker compared to the eastern Oregon redneck! We’re the ones who placed the “red” in neck.

semper fi
jchristin

wrbones
03-26-03, 03:12 PM
Wel, I was thinkin'. Make the individual Marine the most ferociuos weapon ecer thought of and then give them a 96.

Like say in 'Frisco or LA or even Seattle for example......

....I hear there's some pretty girls on the west coast...

...some of them are even carryin' protest signs.....