PDA

View Full Version : What is harder in boot camp...the physical part or the mental aspect of training?

steamin3demon
08-15-07, 08:55 PM
i just want to here what Marines have to say about the hardest part of boot camp...was it the physical stress or the whole mental part of training.?

davblay
08-15-07, 09:45 PM
I really only had one bad time while I was in Boot Camp----from the time I got there until the time I left!

Seriously, it is 10% physical and 90% mental, so the mind games was the hardrest thing.

Covey_Rider
08-15-07, 11:48 PM
Due to the fact that you always here it's all mental and not very much physical...It might be true. Yes, like davblay said...10% physical and 90% mental...

Haffner
08-16-07, 01:47 AM
How's about this...

ready?

Experience it!

Gotta get ridda that fear of the unknown. Well, they'll do it for you.

corey lemley
08-16-07, 08:21 AM
SSG Lemley here It's probably 50 50 but if you go with the right mind set
you will be able to overcome both it's the drills job to keep you on your toes
both physically and mentally thats what seperates the men from the boys
and the Marine from the rest. Just accomplish the task at hand and you'll be a mean lean fighting machine Semper FI.

JCam0331
08-16-07, 08:21 AM
Its 50% mental 50% physical.

If you got ITed as much as I did...

Covey_Rider
08-16-07, 08:29 AM
JCam that's true lol. I know I almost lived on that quarterdeck. I even got IT'd when I went in to change for the moto run. Good times good times.

Marine84
08-16-07, 09:05 AM
definitely mental

JCam0331
08-16-07, 12:38 PM
I was always told OCS is mentally easier than boot camp but physically tougher...I know the PT is a lot tougher, but if you throw in all the hours I got quarterdecked...wouldn't it make the physical aspect comparable?

can I get some input from someone who has been to both??

Phantom Blooper
08-16-07, 02:54 PM
The hardest part would be mental....but,the true answer would be your groin muscle after 11 weeks. :evilgrin:

Namvet67
08-16-07, 05:31 PM
If you are in top physical condition you will probably see it as a mental thing. It is very tough physically but the mental part is another ball game. For me it was mostly mental as i had no problem with the physical part of the program. It's up to the recruit on how it will be both physically and mental.

Marine84
08-16-07, 06:41 PM
but,the true answer would be your groin muscle after 11 weeks. :evilgrin:

OUCH!

thewookie
08-17-07, 06:11 AM
If you are in top physical condition you will probably see it as a mental thing. It is very tough physically but the mental part is another ball game. For me it was mostly mental as i had no problem with the physical part of the program. It's up to the recruit on how it will be both physically and mental.

I agree SSgt. If you go there in shape, very good shape then that part should be a breeze. But if you go there unhealthy, you are going to get pounded on both fronts. I really think the physical part is easy, you can prepare your body for that prior to. It's all mind over matter.

jetdoc
08-17-07, 07:52 AM
Its mentally and physically easy, that is unless you're not physically in shape or mentally tough, then it can be difficult.

If you have issues in any of the two above mentioned departments then your friendly Drill Instructors will assist during your 13 week visit to MCRD.

steamin3demon
08-17-07, 09:56 AM
thanks jetdoc that sums it up real good...and thanks to every one else for the good advice.

mcgannph
08-18-07, 06:54 PM
For me it was all mental. The only aspect physically that scared me was the thought of somehow getting hurt and being dropped--which ties back into mental strain thinking about being a medical drop.

I always dreaded the "Incoming's" and "I'm up, they see me, I'm down" games because of the high risk potential of just breaking a bone or something stupid.

Physically, it's really not that tough. Just make sure your lower extremeties are prepared, as the majority of the stress on your body is placed on your legs, hips, ankles, knees, etc.

Alphaonethree
08-21-07, 10:37 AM
The pressure to perform physically translates to mental stress. So if you really think about it its all MENTAL. If you are not in some kind of shape when you go to boot then your mental stress level will be off the charts, Because it is the drill instructors job to motivate you to perform, Part of motivating you is applying mental stress to get you to perform. Like yogi Barra said 50% of this job is 90% mental. Have fun.

WalkingMan
08-21-07, 11:13 AM
i just want to here what Marines have to say about the hardest part of boot camp...was it the physical stress or the whole mental part of training.?

Physical and Mental are two sides of the same coin.

If you pass the entrance physical, you have what it takes physically to get through boot camp.

The rest is sheer will... how bad do you want it?

Some people tell themselves they can't do it, and sure enough... they can't.

Some people, the only way they are not going to make it, is if you kill them, and carry them out in a body bag.

There was a fellow in my platoon who was a real mess when he entered boot camp. I think the only reaon they accepted him, was it was the height of the Viet Nam war, and they were desperate for bodies.

This guy was determined to make it... he would not give up. He couldn't keep up with the platoon, so he *volunteered* for PCP... Physical Conditioning Platoon.

After boot camp and ITR, I went back to MCRD SD for Radio School, and it was my great pleasure to attend this fellow's graduation from boot camp... I barely recognised him, he had changed so much from his former self.

My own weakness in boot camp was running... I did pass the PFT run, puking and holding my side all the way.:)

Now, at 59, I run and pass the USMC PFT-run for my age group with ease, six days every week, and then run a second 2 mile lap, for the Corps, no puking, and no pain.

I have a set of those StabilIcers, for running in the winter, over ice and snow.

They'll have to kill me, and put me in a body bag, to stop me.

Sheer will... no more, no less.