PDA

View Full Version : Resume`

Accord
08-15-07, 01:12 PM
I need to do a resume` for my time in the Marine Corps up until this point, but I have no idea how to list everything i've done so it looks good.

Basically boot camp, SOI, and then the MEU workup with my current unit.

Marines, how did you list your time at boot camp, SOI, etc. on your resume`?

davblay
08-15-07, 02:10 PM
I need to do a resume` for my time in the Marine Corps up until this point, but I have no idea how to list everything i've done so it looks good.

Basically boot camp, SOI, and then the MEU workup with my current unit.

Marines, how did you list your time at boot camp, SOI, etc. on your resume`?

Write your resume' based on the experience you have as you had it, ie, May 18-Sep, 2007 USMC Boot Camp! Then list the other training the same way. or, simply write USMC From -------to present! If that's all you have in the way of experience then that's all you list as far as work history. I don't think there is a place for "PRANKSTER" on a resume', and that seems to be one of your best qualities.

In all honesty you want your Resume" to make you look like you can walk on water! You want it to reflect that you can do the job you are applying for. You want it to reach out and grab the reader by the eyeballs and say, "HERE'S YOUR MAN FOR THE JOB"! Make all your experience seem to jump out at them. But do not write a book. A Resume' is a short narative of you and your experience, the rest will come out during the interview.

I don't know why you need a Resume' at this point in your Career, but good luck in whatever it is.

Accord
08-15-07, 02:51 PM
Firewatch: Responsible for physical security of hundreds of personnel and millions of dollars of weapons.

Haha.

Frontsight (a civilian tactical training academy) is offering free lifetime memberships to Marines, but you've got to submit a resume of your experience.

Quinbo
08-15-07, 03:08 PM
Received extensive training in leadership, discipline, and team work at MCRD Parris Island.
Trained in the use of explosives and tactical weapons at School of Infantry Camp Lejune.
Continuing training in combat tactics and leadership.
Pursuing off duty education through the Marine Corps Institute.

Rated in the top 1% among my peers and actively seeking further leadership oppurtunities.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try to keep it to one page and if you have a security clearance or college list that as well. Google resume templates.

davblay
08-15-07, 03:22 PM
Very Good Bob! :thumbup:

Osotogary
08-15-07, 03:25 PM
Make all your experience seem to jump out at them. But do not write a book.

Great advise, davblay.
Recruiters and hiring personnel all have told me that with all of the resume's that they have to sift through, on a daily basis, they don't have that much time to grab a beer (Oops, I mean coffee), put their feet up on their desks and read a novel.
Always make it known that there is more information available upon request.
Use a readable font. In other words make your resume viewer friendly.
Best of luck to you.
Gary

jetdawgg
08-17-07, 03:18 PM
http://www.jobweb.com/resources/images/resume3.gif

Sgt Leprechaun
08-17-07, 08:29 PM
Rules of Resume writing:

1: Unless you are writing a resume for the Federal gummint on "Resumix", your resume should be 1 page long. Period. Your resume doesn't have to list every single job you ever held, just the ones that are relevant for the position you are applying for.

2: Be HONEST. Don't 'inflate' your resume. The experience you have, is the experience you have.

3: Save the funky colored paper and cute fonts for love notes and letters to mom. White paper and "Times New Roman" font....anything else invites your resume to fly to the circular file.

4: Flowery prose and words: "Achieved record high results for attention to detail in day to day operations of a critical nature which were of vital importance to the delivery of products and services to the customer base" can be condensed to "Responsible for cleanliness of the break room".

5: "Objective....to be employed in the hand painted hair net industry.." Please. Everyone knows your object is to get hired. That's why you submitted the resume. Leave it out.

6: Managers and HR see literally, hundreds of resumes per day. The ones that get selected are the ones that look professional, say what they have to in one page (not counting cover letter), and make them go "Hmmm..this guy/gal looks right for an interview". The rest get the standard "You were not selected due to keen competition, (You suck) thanks for applying,(You gave the girls in HR a big laugh with your mauve colored paper and emoticons) your resume will be kept on file (in the basement where the rats are) for a period of time (only because the law requires it) in case of further openings blahblahblah...

7: The catch all line "Further references and documentation on request" is a must.

8: Awards: Unless you got something "holy crap", nobody really cares that you were a "Wolf Scout" or "President of the Dungeons and Dragons club". List the "wow" stuff (Employee of the month 13 times in 4 years, Employee of the Year, National awards or recognition, bravery or innovation type awards).

That's about it.

jinelson
08-18-07, 12:40 AM
John what the heck do you need to write a resume for? Just wondering bro.

Jim

thewookie
09-29-11, 09:01 AM
I don't know what is funnier,, that you kicked a thread that hasn't been touched for over four years,, or,, the link you provided says the site is down/unavailable..

Haha,, what a tool. Nice try though,, 10 - 1 there is no profile filed out, either...:no: Go away

sparkie
09-29-11, 10:08 AM
popcorn time.

bootlace15
09-29-11, 10:58 AM
Think I'll just drink a beer. Retired and will never need a resume again.

sparkie
09-29-11, 08:37 PM
It was good to see Daves face again,,,,,,,,,,