PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a Female Marine but i have a problem

tinyder88
08-15-07, 10:36 AM
I have a question for those being a woman and a marine. See i have really started to think about Joining the Marine Corps but the thing is one day i am all for it and the next day i'm not. I want to join for money, to get on my feet, to get in the best physical condition i can be in, and to be one of the toughest group of people in the world. I just resently got divorce very hard on me (he was a marine) i still struggle emotional with it in fact i have kinda lost control over my emotions. (like i snap at people and i never used to do that and i cry when ever i have to talk about something that concerns the heart). I know the marines brake you and then build you back up and thats what i want is to be built back up to be stronger then i have ever been and to fully be able to control my self. The thing is i am afraid i might be one of the few that get broken and can't be built back up and completly loose it in boot camp. I also think that maybe i am thinking to hard on it and making boot camp out to be worse then it is. I want to know what the woman think i should do. I also wna to know if anyone has gone through something similar.
Amy

SGTBrentG
08-15-07, 10:45 AM
I'm not a woman and I'm not trying to be ugly, but you don't need to join the Marine Corps. You want to join for money? That's laughable. You don't need the Marine Corps, you need counselling.

tinyder88
08-15-07, 10:48 AM
Lol ya the money parts pretty fun i guess i just thought about how the might sound lol. I was married to a marine and i know that no one joins to be rich lol. Instead of money i should say security.

jetdoc
08-15-07, 11:36 AM
Sounds to me Tiny that you perhaps need to get your personal life together first, get your head together. You need to put your divorce behind you and get that part of your life straight.

Once that is in order then I'd look at the Marines, that is if you still want to go in. You could just THINK you want to go in because of many reasons, being married to a Marine could be one.

Once you are thinking clearly you may have a different perspective on life, good luck.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-15-07, 11:41 AM
Please capitalize the word Marine. It is one of the basic rules of the site.

Now that we have that out of the way- Joining the Marines isn't going to take away the pain you're feeling. That is something you have to deal with. The Marine Corps won't make you rich, but you won't starve either. But, it isn't about that either. If you have the burning desire and drive to be a Marine, then do it. But, if it is something you would have never done if you hadn't gotten the divorce, then go do something else.

Tegan
08-15-07, 12:13 PM
I think you need to get your personal life together before you join the Marine Corps. When your at bootcamp you want to be focusing on your training.

GySgtRet
08-15-07, 03:46 PM
Amy,

If you have doubts about being a Marine then please do not. If you have those doubts you could be responsible for killing other Marines. Like Tegan suggests, foucus at bootcamp don't let another thought enter your upper brain housing group. Oh by the way you didn't mention this, but are there any or the possibility of any munchkins?

SgtHMH
08-15-07, 05:40 PM
You ever seen the movie Private Benjamin staring Goldie Hawn in it ? Well if not you need to rent the movie and watch it. When you join the Marines or any Branch of service for that matter, being male or female you have to have your mind set on the training your going through. Some of the things you do in Boot Camp can get you hurt or killed or someone else hurt or killed. You have to climb things, shoot things, throw things that blow up. There are alot of mind games that are played on you, which does not matter if your male or female. It is something that will be in your face if you are not giving your all and putting out 110 %. This goes for both males and females and the eyes are on you all the time. This is why all the talk of the clear mind set on it all because not only you are affected others are too.

Semper Fi

JCam0331
08-15-07, 05:52 PM
Amy,

If you have doubts about being a Marine then please do not. If you have those doubts you could be responsible for killing other Marines. Like Tegan suggests, foucus at bootcamp don't let another thought enter your upper brain housing group. Oh by the way you didn't mention this, but are there any or the possibility of any munchkins?

To be perfectly honest and with respect Gunnery Sergeant, if this lady chooses to join the Marine Corps and signs up for an MOS such as admin or something, the chances of her getting another Marine killed are none to none, especially as a female.

Ma'am, I just suggest you think it through. The Marine Corps is not for everyone. And I don't say this in with the holier-than-thou attitude that recruiters and some Marines take.

Its not for everyone not because you won't be able to make it through training. I'm sure you will. It sucks but its very doable.

I'm saying its not for everyone because the lifestyle can be stressful in many different ways.

Why do you want to be a Marine anyway? There are other branches of service that offer the same security and better benefits. I think you'd be very suited for the Air Force.

I don't look down on the Air Force. I respect the job airmen and pilots do obviously, but the Air Force is known to be less physically demanding than the other branches of service.

JCam0331
08-15-07, 05:54 PM
I'm not a woman and I'm not trying to be ugly, but you don't need to join the Marine Corps. You want to join for money? That's laughable. You don't need the Marine Corps, you need counselling.

How many teenagers sign up for the Marine Corps every day for 2 things solely:

1. Because they think it will be badass and cool
2. For the money

its not that laughable.

Tegan
08-15-07, 06:18 PM
It does not matter what kind of job you have in the Marine Corps. There is stress in every job just different levels. BUT there is enough to where you need to have most of your personal life figured out before you go. It helps to be able to go to bootcamp with nothing on your plate so you dont have to worry about things at home.

Marine84
08-15-07, 07:14 PM
Tiny - DON'T join the Corps! If you think you can make it through - by all means, have at it and good luck to you. And, don't listen to JC - there WOULD BE a possibility that you could get pulled out of that cushy Admin chair and have to go pull MP duty for a while IN a combat zone. It doesn't sound like you're emotionally ready for something like Marine Corps bootcamp much less a combat zone.

Sorry, you asked....................

sparkie
08-15-07, 07:23 PM
I wanted to be a female Marine too,,,, The recruter wasn't buying....;]

SgtHopperUSMC
08-15-07, 10:19 PM
Sounds to me Tiny that you perhaps need to get your personal life together first, get your head together. You need to put your divorce behind you and get that part of your life straight.

Once that is in order then I'd look at the Marines, that is if you still want to go in. You could just THINK you want to go in because of many reasons, being married to a Marine could be one.

Once you are thinking clearly you may have a different perspective on life, good luck.Ditto.... Do it for you. Give it time and you will see things better. I went through a divorce also.

tinyder88
08-16-07, 06:40 AM
I just wanted to thank all of you. I wanted honest and i knew i would get that from Marines. Alot of what was said i had already been thinking and some other things openned my eyes. I don't think i will give up the Marine Corps but i will put it aside in my mind for now.
Thank you all again

Amy

SGTBrentG
08-16-07, 07:27 AM
JC...It is most definitely laughable for a person to want to join the Marine Corps, or any other branch of the military, for the money! Your base pay equates to 9.98 per hour. That's IF you work a standard 40 hour work week. Fortunately, we have brave young men and women, such as yourself, who are willing to defend our nation and dodge bullets and IED's for a lot more reasons than money. Thank you, God bless and Semper Fi!

JCam0331
08-16-07, 08:17 AM
I most certainly didnt join for the money...

but did you factor in BAH, BAS, Combat Incentive Pay, Hazardous Duty Incentive Pay, Sea Pay, Seperation from Family Pay, extra money for each dependant you have, complete health and dental coverage for yourself and your dependants?

You can't look at base pay Sergeant. You need to look at estimated average salary, which about.com has complied

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/pay/2007Pay/blsalenl.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/pay/2007Pay/blsaloff.htm

A salty 4 year Lance Corporal can figure to be raking in approximately 38,000 a year.

A seasoned Staff Sergeant with 10 years in can figure about 57,000 a year

A boot 2nd Lieutenant is looking at about 48,000 a year. Or 59,000 a year with 4 years of prior enlisted service

An experienced field grade officer - say a Major, with 12 years in is looking at over 100,000 dollars.

Check it out for yourself.

SGTBrentG
08-16-07, 08:57 AM
JC-I think that you have missed my point. I realize there are numerous benefits and allowances, such as the whopping $225 per month combat pay. I realize there is medical and dental. My point was simply that if a persons first listed reason for joining the military is the money, they need to evaluate their thought process. You and I, and every Marine on this board, know full well that if our motivation was for money, we would not have been Marines. I wouldn't trade being a Marine for all the money in the world, but the money doesn't even make my list of reasons why. What I gained being a Marine can't be bought. I think the debate of money and whether or not you get paid appropriately for what you sacrifice is another thread. Semper Fi.

Zulu 36
08-16-07, 12:36 PM
JC-I think that you have missed my point. I realize there are numerous benefits and allowances, such as the whopping $225 per month combat pay. I realize there is medical and dental. My point was simply that if a persons first listed reason for joining the military is the money, they need to evaluate their thought process. You and I, and every Marine on this board, know full well that if our motivation was for money, we would not have been Marines. I wouldn't trade being a Marine for all the money in the world, but the money doesn't even make my list of reasons why. What I gained being a Marine can't be bought. I think the debate of money and whether or not you get paid appropriately for what you sacrifice is another thread. Semper Fi.

Amen, bro. I never gave money a thought. In boot camp it was almost, "We get PAID too!!!?" (Sorta, kinda. Pvt was $143/mo then).

jetdoc
08-17-07, 08:07 AM
I joined for the money, but then again I was but a poor high school kid, hehe

RLeon
08-24-07, 12:48 AM
I would normally agree but the Gunny has a point. Think about the REMFs that are in charge of getting beans and bullets to the line or fixing vehicles and aircraft. They screw up, they get Marines...

davblay
08-24-07, 01:24 AM
I joined for the money, but then again I was but a poor high school kid, hehe
Yea me too. The starting pay was $123.30 per month gross, and that was raise for me! 56 bucks every two weeks was better than i was making at home!

Camper51
08-24-07, 08:44 AM
Dang I got cheated.. I only got $102.50 a month when I joined...

Back on subject - Join our Corps only if that is what you really want to do. Not for money, not for glory, not for men (although I think that was 84's reason, ha ha ha) and certainly do join for your own pride and honor...

JCam0331
08-24-07, 09:35 AM

I know exactly what you mean. The only point I was trying to make was plenty of people join the military for the solid income and not out of pure patriotism. And they have a valid reason for doing so because our compensation is competitive with the private sector.

JCam0331
08-24-07, 09:37 AM
Perhaps, but honestly I cant see how you can screw up being a supply or admin clerk that bad...I mean what are you gonna do? forget to issue SAPI plates to someone?

Marine84
08-24-07, 10:24 AM
not for men (although I think that was 84's reason, ha ha ha)

I was looking for a few good men my damned self! You better believe it!

rvillac2
08-24-07, 11:05 AM
Perhaps, but honestly I cant see how you can screw up being a supply or admin clerk that bad...I mean what are you gonna do? forget to issue SAPI plates to someone?

I guess we've forgotten about the USA 507th Maintenance Company.

Phantom Blooper
08-25-07, 09:18 PM
I want to be a Female Marine but i have a problem

Me too!:banana:

Marine84
08-25-07, 09:27 PM
LOL...................yeah Phantom and it looks like a naked mole rat!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

sparkie
08-25-07, 09:35 PM
How could such a lovely creature be a problem? Mother Nature is never wrong.

Marine84
08-25-07, 09:40 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha!