PDA

View Full Version : Winter: Marines getting results in west Iraq

thedrifter
08-15-07, 07:50 AM
Winter: Marines getting results in west Iraq
By Rod McGuirk - The Associated Press
Posted : Wednesday Aug 15, 2007 6:26:22 EDT

CANBERRA, Australia —Marines have achieved “very significant results” in restoring security in western Iraq by engaging with locals, Navy Secretary Donald Winter said Aug. 15.

Winter said an example of success in Iraq was western Anbar province, where Marines have principal responsibility for security.

“I think that we’ve seen a great lessening of tension there, reduced attacks, and a general support of the coalition efforts to provide peace in the region,” Winter told reporters in the Australian capital, where he held discussions with local defense officials.

“And we just hope that that is replicated throughout the rest of Iraq,” he added.

Asked if the cited progress in Anbar was evidence that the deployment of more U.S. troops was working, Winter replied: “I think in Al Anbar, we’ve seen some very significant and positive results.

“I think it’s a positive indication. I’m not sure to what extent we can use that as totally exemplary of what’s occurring in all areas of Iraq, because I’m not sure it totally represents the situation elsewhere.”

Winter said Marines, in recent months, were focusing on “engagement with the local population, and I think that that has helped very significantly.”

Winter’s comments came as four suicide bombers struck nearly simultaneously in northwestern Iraq late Aug. 14, killing at least 175 people and wounding 200 more. The death toll was the highest in a concerted attack since Nov. 23, when 215 people were killed by mortar fire and five car bombs in Baghdad’s Shiite enclave of Sadr City.

Ellie