PDA

View Full Version : Are antidepressants a disqualifier . . .

matthewrove
08-14-07, 09:27 PM
Is taking antidepressants a disqualifier to becoming an officer? What about seeing a therapist/psychologist for garden variety depression?

Thanks.

davblay
08-14-07, 10:18 PM
Duh

matthewrove
08-14-07, 11:57 PM
Thank you davblay.

Marine84
08-15-07, 07:59 AM
I would think so also - I mean, there are things that happen (like being in combat) during some enlistments that make Marines HAVE to take anti depressants. If something freaked you out bad enough in civilian life, military life WILL NOT be for you.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything but, why would you want to join at 29? You'll make more money finishing law school and going that route.

matthewrove
08-15-07, 06:36 PM
I'm not trying to be mean or anything but, why would you want to join at 29? You'll make more money finishing law school and going that route.
I appreciate your candor. It's not that I want leave law school. It's just that once I am finished I want to be a Judge Advocate for the Marines. I have a desire to serve my country and I am attracted to the fact that you are a Marine first and a JAG second. It's rare in our day to find an institution that dares to demand of its people fidelity to the organization and fidelity to the ideal of serving others.

But I understand that the Marines have had enough experience at this thing to know what kind of people make successful Marines and what kind of people don't. And if I fall into the second group I defer to their wisdom.

sparkie
08-15-07, 07:27 PM
Take some St.John's Wart,,,,or,,,, Heck, Now I'm getting depressed.

SgtHopperUSMC
08-15-07, 10:09 PM
Then again it could be what you need.... The Marine's build both mind and body. Those pills are not forever. I went through some depression myself. You'd be amazed at how many people could use them. Keep in mind it is a chemical imbalance most of the time. You are not crazy.

Haffner
08-16-07, 02:07 AM
Antidepressants are a disqualier all around, not just for shiny collars.

Phantom Blooper
08-16-07, 05:44 AM
Although it might be a good idea to take some anti-deppressants to be around some officers or canidates that ask dumbazz questions!:evilgrin:

Haffner
08-16-07, 10:29 AM
Haha, oorah, SSgt.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-16-07, 11:57 AM
Call the OSO. I would say it is a disqualifier, but sometimes odd things happen to get those professional degree types into the military. The Navy jumps through hoops to get doctors, lawyers, and chaplains- so the Marine Corps may do some odd things to get lawyers. Calling can't hurt anything.

Alphaonethree
08-21-07, 11:17 AM
Heres what you do. Stop taking them just before you go, By the time you get there you wont need them anymore. You wont have time to be depressed.

Zulu 36
08-21-07, 02:00 PM
Heres what you do. Stop taking them just before you go, By the time you get there you wont need them anymore. You wont have time to be depressed.

Well, "just stopping" antidepressants is not a good idea. Many of those drugs require you to weaned from them under the supervision of a physician and/or a shrink.

I tried cold turkey once and it was not good. About a week later I was in the ER thinking I was having a heart attack when it was just an old fashioned whopper of a panic attack. Then I was weaned from them, and that ended up not being good either. Back on.

sparkie
08-21-07, 06:32 PM
St Johns Wart,,,, And Vitamin B stress tabs,,, Mega dose... Take it from someone who was locked up in the VA,,, Padded room and all. I'm probably the only one here who has been declared sane,,,,,,, Have you?
You wanna change out the chemicals in your brain?/// Run, Forrest, Run. And Zulu is right,, never stop a dose,, Wean off. Stop some of them, and you may kill yourself.

Did you know all of those teen high school shooters were on perscribed drugs? Ritolin don't kill you. It kills others.