PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Drill Instructor pics

SgtSpurlock2141
08-14-07, 10:25 AM
Hello all-

I'm putting together a presentation titled "Implementing the Marine Corps Leadership Traits and Principles in a Manufacturing Environment- Can It Work?". I'd like to get a good picture or two of a Drill Instructor getting right in the face of a recruit. Ideally the Drill Instructor would be yelling and the recruit would have that deer caught in the headlights look.

If anyone could help out, that would be great. Obviously I'd want to have your permission to use the photo in the presentation with the appropriate credit given. I am also writing a full blown article that will be submitted to a trade magazine where I may also want to use the picture.

Thanks and Semper Fi-

Matt

bootlace15
08-14-07, 01:10 PM
you gotta be ****ting me. A sgt in the Corps. and you can't find a picture of a DI...............Give me a break...................

bootlace15 out

SgtSpurlock2141
08-14-07, 01:44 PM
you gotta be ****ting me. A sgt in the Corps. and you can't find a picture of a DI...............Give me a break...................

bootlace15 out

I certainly appreciate your obvious well thought out and helpful response. Apparently you didn't read my request very well as I'm looking for a particular type of picture along with permission to use it in a public presentation and in print.

Since you don't have what I need, you are more than welcome to simply shut your hole and stay out of my thread.

Quinbo
08-14-07, 03:41 PM
http://www.talkingproud.us/ImagesPhotoGallery/Serve/DrillInstructor.jpg

Quinbo
08-14-07, 03:44 PM
http://www.corpsstories.com/070322-2.jpg

Osotogary
08-14-07, 06:45 PM
SgtSpurlock2141-
I scurried over to usmc.mil and searched for "Drill Instructor" and looked for images; a total of 177 images were listed. There may be an image that you can use. I believe that all the images are downloadable.
Gary

Osotogary
08-14-07, 06:53 PM
Additionally, usmc.mil has 98 images when searching for "Poolee".

SgtSpurlock2141
08-14-07, 08:29 PM
Thanks a million gents!!

PerXes
08-14-07, 11:00 PM
This is a photo of my Senior Drill Instructor..I guess I can't really give you permission per se, Sergeant, but I doubt he'd mind. http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jonescpp/Videos/n82401075_30325992_6112.jpg

Osotogary
08-15-07, 06:01 PM
Additional info.for you, SgtSpurlock2141.

Business Nugget
by Robert Morris
Former Marines Dan Carrison and Rod Walsh have co-authored Semper Fi (published by AMACOM) in which they suggest what the business world can learn from the United States Marine Corps. That is, “Business Leadership the Marine Corps Way”:
How to attract a greater number of candidates to identify “the few” to hire
How to use your own “best and brightest” to conduct interviews
How to determine which candidates are most compatible with your organization’s core values
How to accelerate the orientation of “recruits” (e.g. use of a “boot camp”)
How to measure performance of everyone accurately
How to provide on-going training for personal as well as professional growth
How to devise and then implement an “up or out” program
How to maximize and then sustain morale (“top to bottom”)
How to develop mental and physical “fitness”
How to maximize leadership at the senior-level
How to make effective use of “small”
Ten strategies for “victory” in any competitive marketplace
Throughout Semper Fi, Carrison and Walsh correlate specific situations in the Marine Corps with those in the business world. At the end of each chapter, they provide a Leadership Strategies Checklist.” Here are some key points:
Rotate the company’s top performers through a tour of “recruiting duty”.
Reward them with a “tour of duty” as a company trainer.
Constantly remind all employees that they are “the best”.
Cultivation of leadership within each individual begins from Day One and is an investment of time and resources that does not immediately bear fruit.
Standardize the promotional requirements so that all supervisors have the credibility and respect of the rank and file.
Employees who feel cared for will care about the company.
Keep your people fully informed.
Always lead by personal example.
Make use of peer evaluations at all levels of the organization.
Issue a corporate Core Values Card (or have those values printed on the backside of each business card.)
Carrison and Walsh suggest that, “If all employees in a company, from the CEO to the line assembler, believe that they work for the best company in the industry, that they are without peer, and that those who work for the competition do so because they are not qualified to work for the best in the business, then an applicant may be motivated to join for reasons other than money.”
In the final chapter, they discuss ten “winning strategies”: Instill Courage, Study the Past, Create a Sense of Mission, Keep Goals Realistic, Sustain a Competitive Culture, There Is No “Peacetime”, Know Your Enemy, Command from a Forward Position, Expect Victory, and Convince Everyone “You Must Not Fail.” Lest these strategies seem simplistic, consider how powerful their implications can be. For example, moral courage simply will not tolerate inappropriate behavior. Only with employees possessed of intellectual courage will an organization have the innovative thinking, prudent risk-taking, and breakthrough achievements it must have to prosper.
Executives who “command from a forward position” get out from behind a desk and leave the office to walk the shop floor. They visit other facilities, meet with small groups of employees to brief them on company news, attend initial meetings with prospects, call on customers, attend tradeshows, and in countless other ways “fight side-by-side with the troops” there in the “trenches”...whatever and wherever those trenches may be. Carrison and Walsh conclude: “Imagine an organization in which the majority of its creative and intelligent people walked around all day with the thought ‘I must not fail’ in the back of their minds. Such an organization would be formidable indeed.”
It remains for each reader of Semper Fi to determine what is most relevant to her or his own organization. Whenever groups of people are assembled with a common purpose, there will always be a need for leadership. With more than 200 years of experience developing leaders “throughout the ranks”, the Marine Corps has suggestions worthy of consideration.

capmarine
08-15-07, 07:43 PM
since we are all Marines on here let's try to be a little kinder.someone with just 6 posts should know better than to treat a fellow Marine with such distain.an apology to a Vietnam veteran would be nice,Sgt.

SgtSpurlock2141
08-15-07, 09:16 PM
since we are all Marines on here let's try to be a little kinder.someone with just 6 posts should know better than to treat a fellow Marine with such distain.an apology to a Vietnam veteran would be nice,Sgt.

I will take this to PM's which is where this comment should have been made.

Alphaonethree
08-23-07, 05:41 PM
Ok there is a book out there called Corps Values, Applying Marine leadership and values to manufacturing.

SgtSpurlock2141
08-23-07, 06:13 PM
Ok there is a book out there called Corps Values, Applying Marine leadership and values to manufacturing.

I gave my presentation this past Tuesday. It went over VERY WELL. Now I'm going to turn it into a 1/2 day workshop for a Conference in May.

Thanks for all the positive help out there.

Also- I'll look this book up that you mentioned in your post.

Thanks-