PDA

View Full Version : A serious Marine answers The Call

thedrifter
08-13-07, 12:58 PM
Patriotic Rap Video Sparks Reaction
Monday , August 13, 2007

A video featuring the patriotic rap of a young man who appears to be a Marine has taken the Web by storm. Click here to watch the video. Then tell us what YOU think of his message.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBflQLa75C8

Here is what FOX Fans are saying:

“With tears streaming from my eyes and truth ringing in my soul, I listened to this awesome American soldier and realized he is so right on!” — C.

“Great job, enough said.” — John

”What a patriotic young man! God bless him and all the other young men and women out there who are serving our great country. Keep up the message!” — D.

“This is garbage. Don't waste the space on your front page with this stuff.” — Jim (Lodi, CA)

“Finally, something worthwhile on YouTube. God bless this Marine. May we see more of him!” — Skip (Agawam, MA)

“Play it once a day for the Americans and broadcast it to the entire world.” — F

“I love, love, love, love, love it. Thanks Marine.” — Elma

“He allows me to have trust in our young people. He is the reason why America is a truly great nation.” — M.

“I liked the message, but then I already understood what he was saying and what it was all about. Anyone with any brains knows the enemy is within. Great video and the fellow did a terrific job.” — Polly

“I loved it. It inspired me and made me proud!” — Brenda

“I never thought I would say this, but there now is a rap I really like.” — Tony

“Awesome! Freedom's rally cry.” — Mike

“He has it right! Congress needs to watch this 1,000 times, may be in slow motion, just so they can get it too!” — Mike (Macomb Township, MI)

“If only more Americans had the same amount of pride about our great country our will would be unstoppable in the world. Who cares what color your skin is or what religion you follow? We are at our core all Americans and God help anyone who stands in our way!” — Robert (Dayton OH)

“Awesome! True! He is what makes America great.” — Michelle

“Gave me goose bumps. Right on, man! Our troops are tops!” — Wendy (Cottage Grove, WI)

“All I can say is ‘United we stand!’ I am not big on rap, but he does get the message across and I would proudly stand and fight with this individual any day, anywhere!” &$151; Doug (Pace, FL)

“Send this to our wonderful Congress. Send this to all the Democrats that want to give it all up. Especially send this to all the Democrats running for president. They need to know how most Americans feel.” — C.

”God bless that young Marine! He understands what we are fighting for!” — Mark

“Thank you for providing that video — it really hit me hard. I hope a lot of people watch it and that it affects them the way it did me.” — B.

“Unbelievably beautiful — he should receive a medal of honor for this. Courage takes many forms and he has displayed an unfortunately unpopular courage — the courage to say something positive about our country. Congratulations, sir!” — D

“I watched the young man and listened to his rap message. I don't care for rap very much but this venue seems to be working very well for this young man. He has a very powerful message, one that I think all Americans can be proud of; I think the Marines should be proud as well! Nice job.” — T.

“Great patriotism! Brought tears to my eyes, my son is in Marine Basics right now and for the same reasons.” — Dee

“He said what all Americans should be saying. We have become afraid to say what we believe in and this man has said it right. All Americans should be proud of who we are and should be ready to stand up for our way of life and for the future or our children.” — Jim (Abilene, TX)

“Speak English.” — Gerry

A serious Marine answers The Call
Posted By Uncle Jimbo

I would love to meet this kid. Not only is his message brilliant, but his delivery is stunning. Every time I wonder a bit about our country, somebody like this pops up to remind us what we are really about. H/T Something... and Half of Something.

[Blackfive busting in here. I'm posting the words to this rap/poetry after the Jump. This should be sent to everyone for September 11th.] Jimbo jumping as well, Fox News picked up the video too. If anyone knows who this guy is I would seriously love to interview him.

Free

and She called...
Blacks, Whites...wait
African Americans and Caucasians, Asians, excuse me.
Vietnamese, Philippines, Koreans and Jamaicans or
Haitians, waitin', Hispanics, y'all.

Please be patient
Mexican, Puerto Ricans, Venezuelan, Cuban, v Dominican, Panamanian, Democrats
I beg your pardon, you partied with the late, great Reagan?
Republican, Independent, Christian, Catholic,
Methodist, Baptist, 7th Day Adventist, 5 Percenters,
Hindu, Sunni Muslim, Brothers and Sisters who never seen the New York city
skyline when the twin towers still existed.
But still She called.

From the bowels of Ground Zero she sent this 911 distress signal.
Because She was in desperate need of a hero,
and didn't have time to decipher what to call 'em,
so she called 'em all Her children.
The children of the stars and bars who needed to know nothing more than the fact that she called.
The fact that someone attempted to harm us
this daughter who covered us all with her loving arms.
And now these arms are sprawled across New York City streets.
A smoke filled lung, a silt covered faced,
and a solitary tear poured out of her cheek.
Her singed garments carpets Pennsylvania Avenue and the Pentagon was under her feet.
As she began to talk, she began to cough up small particles of debris
and said, "I am America, and I'm calling on the land of the free."
So they answered.

All personal differences set to the side
because right now there was no time to decide which state building the Confederate flag should fly over,
and which trimester the embryo is considered alive,
or on our monetary units, and which God we should confide.
You see, someone attempted to choke the voice
of the one who gave us the right for choice,
and now she was callin'.
And somebody had to answer.
Who was going to answer?

So they did.
Stern faces and chiseled chins.
Devoted women and disciplined men,
who rose from the ashes like a Phoenix
and said "don't worry, we'll stand in your defense."
They tightened up their bootlaces
and said goodbye to loved ones, family and friends.
They tried to bombard them with the "hold on", "wait-a-minute's", and "what-ifs".
And "Daddy, where you goin'?".
And, "Mommy, why you leavin'?".
And they merely kissed them on their foreheads and said "Don't worry, I have my reasons.
You see, to this country I pledged my allegiance
to defend it against all enemies foreign and domestic.
So as long as I'm breathin', I'll run though hell-fire,
meet the enemy on the front lines,
look him directly in his face,
stare directly in his eyes and scream,
"I AM AMERICA! WE WILL NOT BE TERRORIZED!
WE WILL NOT BE TERRORIZED!
I REFUSE TO BE AFRAID!
I'LL FIGHT YOU ANY COUNTRY, ANY CONTINENT, ANY TERRAIN.
I'LL FIGHT TO MY LAST BREATH!"

And if by chance death is my fate,
pin my medals upon my chest,
and throw Old Glory on my grave.
But, don't y'all cry for me.
You see, my Father's prepared a place.
I'll be a part of his Holy army standing a watch at the Pearly Gates.
Because freedom was never free.
POW's, and fallen soldiers
all paid the ultimate sacrifice
along side veterans who put themselves in harms way.
Risking their lives and limbs just to hold up democracy's weight,
but still standing on them broken appendages anytime the National Anthem was played.
You see, these were the brave warriors that gave me the right
to say that I'm Black. Or white.

Or

African American or Caucasian,
I'm Asian, excuse me.
I'm Vietnamese, Philippine, Korean, or Jamaican.
I'm Haitian, Hispanic

Y'all, Please be patient.
I'm Mexican, Puerto Rican, Venezuelan, Cuban,
Dominican, Panamanian, Democrat
I beg your pardon, you see I partied with the late, great Reagan.
I'm Republican, Independent, Christian, Catholic,
Methodist, Baptist, 7th Day Adventist, 5 Percenters,
Hindu, Sunni Muslim,

Brothers and Sisters We're just Americans.
So with that I say
"Thank You" to the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines,
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!

Ellie

thedrifter
08-16-07, 07:05 PM
‘BadAss Marine’ from poetic video identified
By Michael Hoffman - Staff writer
Posted : Thursday Aug 16, 2007 19:48:24 EDT

Call off the manhunt. The leatherneck whose patriotic spoken-word performance in a YouTube video called “BadAss Marine” that has received well over 400,000 hits has been found.

Staff Sgt. Lawrence Dean II, an instructor with the Center for Naval Aviation Technical Training at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, N.C., has been identified as the poetic Marine.

A national search began this week after Fox News and multiple blogs posted Internet stories pleading with the mystery man to step out of anonymity.

Dean, who spoke to Marine Corps Times on Thursday, said the video clip was filmed a year ago on a cell phone after one of his students asked him for help explaining to his family why he was joining the Corps and risking being sent off to war. In the midst of the student’s final room inspection, he performed the spoken-word poem, which many mistakenly refer to as rap, he said.

Dean said he wrote the inspirational poem after his grandmother asked him whether he would go to war if called.

“The best thing I could come up with to explain it to her was [the poem] ‘She Called,’ ” he said.

The 3 1/2-minute poem starts slowly with the first verse, “She called. …”

Dean’s voice builds with intensity and emotion as he refers to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks as a calling and thanks the military’s men and women for looking past race, religion and political affiliation and fighting for Americans’ freedom.

“Thank you to the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines, for preserving my rights to live and die for this life and paying the ultimate price for me to be …free!” he rhymes.

Commandant Gen. James Conway watched the video after his spokesman saw it and sent the link to him Wednesday morning.

“I was never a fan of rap until today,” Conway said after watching it, according to his spokesman, Lt. Col. T.V. Johnson.

Dean, whose stage name is Life, said he started performing his spoken-word poetry three or four years ago. He has a local following in the eastern North Carolina region, performing at local churches and clubs, along with events at Camp Lejeune and Cherry Point. He’s even performed at the House of Blues in New Orleans.

He used to perform under his given name until he was announced at a poetry club event as “Life” because almost all of his lyrical poetry revolves around his personal life experiences, he said.

“At first, I was looking around to see who was going to stand up, but then I realized they were talking about me and the name just kinda stuck,” said Dean, a KC-130 avionics technician who has spent 12 years in the Corps.

Dean said he found out about his newfound national celebrity when Gunnery Sgt. Anthony Wetherell, who works with him at Cherry Point, told him he was the lead story on Fox News’ Web site.

“I really couldn’t believe it because [the video] was recorded a year ago,” Dean said.

The history on who originally imported the video on YouTube’s Web site is also hazy, since the original poster, “studman20673,” has not responded to e-mails.

Then last October, Matthew Denton, who didn’t know Dean at the time, posted a link to the video on his personal YouTube site after his brother found it while searching for inspirational clips.

During the first year it was up, under the title “BadAss Marine,” it received “a few hundred clicks a week,” Denton said, but no one knows what spurred its recent popularity.

Cpl. Mike Griffith, who works with Dean at Cherry Point, said the spontaneous national following is long overdue. He said each time Dean performs, he leaves the stage to standing ovations.

“Life talks with such an aura, it moves you,” Griffith said. “You’re just hearing it and at the same time you are just like, ‘That’s so true.’ ”

As for Dean’s reaction to all the attention: “I’m just real proud of the situation. I think the Marines I work with are even more excited about all of it than me.”

www.militarytimes.com/multimedia/video/badass_marine/

Ellie

thedrifter
08-17-07, 11:05 AM
Exclusive Interview with Video-Making Marine
Posted By Uncle Jimbo

Update: Just in- Another co-worker of SSGT Dean's forwards his My Space page In deference to accuracy and at the request of many of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, I have added a T to the SSG in SSGT Dean's rank. Ooh rah, Eat the Apple......never mind. Semper Fi.

Most of you saw this video when we posted it earlier this week, and most of you wrote to say how wonderful it was. It contained many heartfelt sentiments about what being an American and an American fighting man means. The artist was unknown, until now. Ladies and Gentlemen I introduce you to SSGT Lawrence E. Dean II. A reader who may claim her kudos in the comments if she wants to, alerted us that SSgt Dean was the artist and he worked with her husband. She sent along B5 contact info and then let me know we needed to coordinate with the Cherry Point PAO and Mr. Mike Barton was very helpful and facilitated a phone interview w/ SSGT Dean. Here is the coolest thing, the piece is titled And She Called, well She is his Grandma and the piece is his explanation to her of why he would go to war. She inspired the video, but the reference in the video itself is about America calling. WOW! It was great to talk with him and I wish him the best in what could be a second career. Semper Fi!

Here is my interview with the Staff Sergeant Download InterviewSSGDean.mp3 FOX is looking for him, ABC is looking for him and the scoop goes to.........Blackfive. Woo Hoo.

UPDATE: Andy Denton who along with his brother Matt posted the video have also been in touch with SSGT Dean and have an alternate version of the piece here...

http://www.andydenton.com/2007/08/15/new-version-to-bad-ass-marines-prose/

My Space
profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=58860450

Ellie