PDA

View Full Version : Switching MOS to Rotary-wing Crew Chief 6172, 6173, and 6174

jellyfish2183
08-13-07, 12:48 PM
I haven't been here for a while. I think I need to visit the forum more often to renew my motivation as a Marine. It is very difficult to stay motivated in my unit (who shall remain nameless),...

yellowwing
08-13-07, 01:24 PM
And while on this deployment, we're doing quasi-infantry billets instead of our respective MOSes.
Sounds like you will get your chance to get behind that bigass 50 cal.

Attitude, you may not be in your dream job. But hell, be determined to be the best HE Mech in the FMF. That will get you noticed and a lat move later in your career will be easier.

Until then do your job, your fellow Marines are depending on you.

jellyfish2183
08-14-07, 01:55 PM
Been there, done that... Way too many times Acutally, if it weren't for the fact that our field training is so uncoordinated by the higher up, we would've actually enjoy firing the .50 cal. You're...

onux16
11-16-08, 11:22 AM
I hope I'm not late to the party. I just googled some stuff and found this link.

Jellyfish2183, I'm an H-46 Helicopter Crew Chief (MOS 6172). Supposedly after two years in your respective billet you'd be able to lat move. Instead of talking to NCO's again, who seem to show little support based on what you've told us, try getting a hold of a career planner to discuss your future as a Marine. He or she will be your best source of information on whether you can lat move. Worst case scenario, you'll have to wait until reenlistment time. I do know the FMF is always looking for Marine crew chiefs, and HMX-1 will take seemingly anyone.

Look for the Crew Chief - MOS? (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29278) thread on these forums. I have contributed a lot of information about the training that goes into being a crew chief. If you have any questions about the job, I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability. On a final note, if you don't qualify for crew chief duties, try becoming a helicopter mechanic (O-Level flightline, not avionics, airframes, or anything D-Level or I-Level). After some training and qualifications you need to earn, you're squadron can award you with Aerial Observer, which lets you do similar duties to a crew chief in-flight, including the .50 cal and day/night traffic calls as well as earning USMC Combat Wings.

PaidinBlood
11-16-08, 11:46 AM
Good luck to you, but bear a few things in mind. If you come looking for advice and hear something you don't like-don't talk ****. Just take it or leave it. He's right, until the day you check out of your terrible unit, the other Marines are counting on you. I have seen so many people EAS or lat-move out of the unit and just drop their pack. I have also specifically seen a nasty virus spread through my old battalion and it sounds like you have it. No commander ever had 100% approval rating from his troops and if he did I would worry. I promise your Battalion commander or whoever it is that you hold responsible is not to blame for your "terrible" NCOs. I've been chasing a cutting score that is always 1700+ when it opens, and I don't blame or hate anyone. Kissin @$$ is not and never will be a requirement to get promoted. Pro/cons are huge but they have to justify giving you anything less than average. Quit giving them the ammunition. Good luck to you and hope to see you on our side of the house one day.

JohnEaceHunt
11-16-08, 11:11 PM
Fish. Please keep the Faith about becoming a CrewChief. When I was at the end of my tour, I was able to extend to become a CrewChief, and succeded. It all has changed now, from Vietnam, but the...

PaidinBlood
11-17-08, 07:49 AM
ha. Seen plenty wash out just at ITB and even more come unglued in the field. Seen arty, MP, MT, and all other kinds out in the middle of the city, and it ain't quite that easy. They got rocked on the same streets we walked, untouched. But yeah, I've heard it is pretty freakin hard to get in your job, so be proud, just not ignorant.. ;-)

BrockXSampson
05-24-11, 12:19 AM
So I'm on the MSG program and just LAT moved from an avionics tech to 6173 53's Crew Chief. Already have a pretty good idea what to expect from pensacola as i've already been there and such. Anyone have any insight on what to expect in regards to the mos itself (i.e. how the shops tend to operate). I've learned the hard way that schoolhouses seldom do this for you. Any info I'd really appreciate.

Sergeant M
05-24-11, 04:30 AM
Unfortunately, there are no Loadmasters on Rotary Aircraft. I was Aircrew and it can be a very difficult training program. You must have high ASVAB scores to start, and be willing to put up with A LOT of crap before even hitting the fleet again.

onux16
05-25-11, 03:34 PM
Brock,
As far as training goes, I included a link in a post a few above yours. It's about the traning (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29278).

As far as the way shops operate, they are all given certain areas to work on. If you're trying to become a crew chief, focus on O-Level maintenance for now. They are the Remove-and-Replace guys. You will be flight line, the shop responsible for everything that is NOT electronics, airframes, or hydraulics. It's easy to make friends from another to shop; it's easy to make enemies from another shop. Just respect their domain and know who to speak with (and how).