PDA

View Full Version : Injured Marine Honored In Morristown

thedrifter
08-13-07, 09:41 AM
Injured Marine Honored In Morristown

POSTED: 8:49 pm EDT August 12, 2007

MORRISTOWN, Ohio -- The bands played, cheerleaders cheered, and folks lined the streets as the parade marched through Morristown -- all for a local soldier.

His closest friends call him T.J., fellow Marines know him as Lance Cpl. Timothy J. Tharp, but the people of Morristown call him hero. "It makes everybody proud. Anybody that serves our country and comes back, it's amazing," said Morristown resident Bo Olexo.

The fact that Tharp can even stand on his own two feet is the result of intense medical care, hard work, determination, and lots of support. His sister Amber said she'll never forget when her parents got the call that her brother was hurt.

"It was pretty rough because you know, you think the worst. You don't know what really happened until you hear it from them," said Amber Tharp.

Three days later they found out he'd been hit by a roadside bomb while on foot patrol in the middle of the night.

Tharp said he can't talk about exactly where he was, or what they were doing, but said he didn't even know what hit him.

"It was fast and loud. I knew something blew up. I just didn't know anything happened to me," said T.J. Tharp.

He's been to hospitals all around the world for care, and he's come a long way. There were times though, he feared he'd never walk again.

"I'm speechless about it. You know, it wasn't that long ago I was in a wheelchair. And I wasn't about to quit. You can't keep me down," said T.J. Tharp.

Now he's showered with the support of his hometown . People lined up to tell him how proud they are of him and how thankful they are for his service and sacrifice. It was enough to bring a tough Marine to tears.

Tharp is expected to make a full recovery. He'll be home through the end of August, before going back to duty in California. He said he has about a year left in the Marines, then he plans to come back home and go to college.

Ellie