PDA

View Full Version : The few, the proud ...

thedrifter
08-12-07, 06:54 PM
The few, the proud ...
... The paintballers show the Marines a different battle
By RICH FREEDMAN/Times-Herald staff writer
Vallejo Times Herald
Article Launched:08/12/2007 08:27:07 AM PDT

The U.S. Marines are looking for a few.... good .... paintballers?

Apparently, and lifetime Vallejoan Angel Fragoza was more than happy to accommodate our men in green.

Fragoza and his eight teammates of Dynasty, the nation's No. 1 paintball team based in San Diego, recently gave the Marines a lesson in close-in combat.

It's not so surprising, perhaps, since paintballs are flying a few thousand a minute while players are diving, dodging, leaping and keeping as stealth as possible.

It also makes sense considering the Marines just signed on as a major sponsor of the National Professional Paintball League.

Still, it was eye-opening for the well-trained marines to get indoctrinated into the high-speed world of paintball.

"Every time we play the Marines, they think they're big and bad," Fragoza said. "But they get out there and find out in 15, 20 seconds that they're not that bad."

Granted, "the real world is different," Fragoza said. "They play for keeps out there."

Yet, he noted, having played in "millions of scenarios" through 10 years of professional experience can be helpful for the military.

"They're gung-ho, then they figure it out," Fragoza said. "They'll say 'thanks' and start asking us for autographs, which is weird."

It's been eight weeks since the 27-year-old was home in Vallejo, having traveled to various tournaments out of San Diego. He's in town for three weeks, spending much of this coming week at Town Park in Corte Madera, teaching aspiring players at a youth paintball day camp.

It's all about instructing the sport's next generation, one which looks good enough to replace Fragoza more sooner than later. The ripe old age of 27 may be prime for a ball player, but it's near fossil for paintball.

"I'm 10 years in this industry and that's a long time to be in it," Fragoza said. "The kids are definitely getting younger, smaller and faster. I'm hoping I can pull off a couple more years."

There are some 35-year-olds toiling in the pros, Fragoza said, but his knees are already feeling the agony of running, jumping and tumbling. More tourneys are played on Astroturf, he added, which is basically green concrete.

That's why, he said, he's looking ahead by starting his own clothing line - "The man, the myth, the legend" - that includes paintball headbands plus nonpaintball attire.

"We'll see where that venture takes me," Fragoza said, laughing that he's been a "one man sweat shop" at his parents' house sewing the headbands.

"It's the one thing I remember from high school," he said of home economics at Vallejo High School.

Meanwhile, he'll continue as one of the stellar players on the nation's top team that's never finished below third in a tournament. But the window is closing, Fragoza said.

"There are close to 10 teams now that actually have a chance at beating us," he said. "Before? There was one that would give us a run for the money."

Paintball is getting noticed more, Fragoza said, with a new one-year deal with ESPN and featured segments in the motion picture, "Failure to Launch" and a LeBron James' Sprite commercial.

It also helps that other celebrities like William Shatner and Robin Williams "love paintball," said Fragoza.

"It's finally getting mainstream," he said.

Steroids? Not this sport, said the 5-foot-9, 165-pound Fragoza.

"You have to be small and quick," he said.

If you go ...

What: Paintball Camp with Angel Fragoza

When: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m.

Cost: $200 per session

Where: Town Park, Pixie and Redwood Ave, Corte Madera

Info: (415) 927-5072

Ellie