PDA

View Full Version : Rappelling

TrevelyanInc
08-11-07, 08:46 PM
We have plenty of new Marines here, so while it's still fresh in their minds, I ask them what they thought of rappelling, and if they have any tips for the poolees.

Old Marines are welcome to answer as well.

SlingerDun
08-12-07, 01:49 AM
It's a hell of alot easier than ascending that same rope and if your allowed to burn it "aussie" style the ground seems to appear quicker. Oh and the view is better.

--->Dave

Marine84
08-12-07, 03:00 AM
I had a BLAST! I had trouble jumping off face first (that was the first time I had purposefully jumped off anything that high) and had to do that again but, got it right the 2nd time. I wanted to let go of the rope at the small of my back and grab it above me. Once I learned that they weren't going to let me fall, I was OK but, I caught hell from the time I got off on the ground, allllllllllllllllllthe way back up to the top of that tower and ANOTHER DI took over from there until I jumped again. Then had to go BACK up to the top to scale the wall backwards - didn't have a problem doing that.

Quinbo
08-14-07, 02:51 PM
Most wish there was more of it. Some are glad they never have to do it again.

rvillac2
08-14-07, 06:50 PM
SGT V! ON RAPPEL!!!

I loved it. Still do.

Not only is it a basic skill, it serves as a confidence builder, too. The recruits need to realize and have faith in the rope and your belay man. We won't let you fall. As with everything in boot, PAY ATTENTION and you'll be just fine.

sparkie
08-14-07, 07:59 PM
I never liked to jump out of a perfectly good chopper. Oh, Well. Get over it.

I tell myself.

hawks
08-14-07, 08:04 PM
If you are talking about rapelling at boot camp, its easy. DO NOT be afraid. Trust the equipment 100%, you get checked like 10 times to make sure it's on right and noone has ever gotten hurt. Just hold your right hand out straight and fly down. I went down the hell hole which was bad ass. It takes like 3 seconds to get down. The fast roping in the beginning you do is pretty cool. Just have confidence.