PDA

View Full Version : Marines and submarines.

Osotogary
08-11-07, 12:02 AM
I can't recall seeing any movie(s) made that showed Marines being assigned to duty on submarines. I'm thinking that since Marines are part of the Department of Navy that this duty could have existed in the past and, perhaps, the present.
Have Marines ever been assigned to submarine duty?

ssgtt32
08-11-07, 04:51 AM
I think the Raiders were inserted by submarine once, but other than that I do not recall if Marines ever served on a sub!

Maurice

Old Marine
08-11-07, 08:18 AM
No "Bubble Heads" in the Crops.

Osotogary
08-11-07, 09:07 AM
I stand corrected! It just dawned on me that there was a movie titled "Gung-Ho", starring Randolph Scott, that showed Marines in a submarine but for transportation only.
Thanks for the replies.
Gary

a4ever
08-11-07, 04:05 PM
Marines are not or have been stationed aboard Sewer Pipes..... oops, Submarines.

jinelson
08-11-07, 05:40 PM
Gary check this out its from a discussion on the origins of OORAH!!!

Jim

Right after Korea in 1953 the 1st Amphibious Reconnaissance Company, FMFPAC can be credited with the birth of "OORAH" in the Corps.

Specifically, where it came from was when Recon Marines were aboard the Submarine USS PERCH, ASSP-313. The Perch was an old WWII diesel boat retrofitted to carry UDT and Amphib Recon Marines. If you remember the old war movies, whenever the boat was to dive, you heard on the PA system, "DIVE,DIVE", and you heard the horn sound "AARUGHA", like an old Model "A" horn.

Sometime in 1953 or 1954, 1st Amphib Recon Marines, while on a conditioning run on land singing chants, someone imitated the "Dive" horn sound "AARUGHA", and it naturally became a Recon Warrior chant or mantra while on runs. It is sort of like the martial arts yell and adds a positive inference to the action. And this became part of Recon lexicon.

Former SgtMaj of the Marine Corps, John Massaro, was the company gunny of 1st Force in the late 50s and when he tansferred to MCRDSD as an instructor at DI school he took "AARUGHA" with him and passed it on to the DI students and they , in turn, passed it on to recruits.

Just as "Gung Ho" became symbolic of the WWII Raiders, so did "AARUGHA" become part of the new "running Marine Corps."

Over time, "AARUGHA" EVENTUALLY CHANGED TO "OORAH". The official Marine Corps Training Reference Manual on the history of Marine Recon is titled "AARUGHA", giving credence on the orgination of the 'POSITIVE RESPONSE' accenting anything that is meant to be good and uniquely Marine Corps.

It is part of Marine Corps language, like "Pogey Bait", "SOS", etc.

3077India
08-11-07, 06:39 PM
One of my favorite USMC bumper stickers said, "Sub-MARINES go deeper." :p

greensideout
08-11-07, 11:17 PM
Interesting question Gary. I have never met a sea going Marine that served on a submarine, but I don't really know.

Osotogary
08-12-07, 12:40 AM
Thank you for all of your replies.
Jim, the origin of "OORAH" I had heard before but had never seen it in print. Thanks.

ssgtt32- You were right about the Marine Raiders.
On 17-18 August 1942 the Marine Raiders commenced the memorable raid on Butaritari Island, Makin Atoll, Gilbert Islands. The Raid commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Evans F. Carlson was made from the submarines Nautilis and Argonaut.

That's about it, not unless I missed something.

Sgt D
08-12-07, 02:59 AM
Before they were turned into MARSOC, Force Recon conducted amphib assaults out of subs. I don't know if they still have that capability. Allot has changed since the MARSOC turnover.

Bruce59
08-12-07, 07:32 PM
Marines working off subs, yes. Marines stationed on subs, no.
In 1960 and 1961 I was with 3rd recon and we did operate off subs. The sub would bring us to about 2 miles off a beach at night and surface we would put our rubber boats on deck at a angle, the sub would wash the deck enough so we could paddle off, then the sub would submerge. We would go do our mission come back and wait for the sub to come back up to pick us up. And a sub in the middle of the night blowing its tanks to come up or down is a very loud. Marines are not stationed on subs because every man on a sub has to know every other mans job, and there is not any room on a sub, we had 25 Marines on board and it was crowded, But that have great food.

Bruce 1883755

http://wallofhonor.bravehost.com

LCPLE3
08-13-07, 10:33 AM
Navy Submarine Delivers Marine Company to the Beach

U.S. Navy Submarine Delivers Marine Company to the Beach PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii (NNS) -- The submarine's ability to deliver a punch from the sea took a giant step forward recently when USS Kamehameha (SSN 642) launched a full company of Marines from First Battalion, Third Marines in a nine-boat raid off Marine Corps Base, Hawaii. Submarines have long been associated with inserting special forces personnel in small teams.

The very unusual exercise marked the first time a submarine has served as a clandestine delivery platform for a force of this size since World War II.

The exercise provided valuable lessons on gear storage and staging, communications, navigation and mass launches and recoveries. By JO1 Chad B. Holmes, COMSUBPAC Public Affairs
<STYLE type=text/css>.fa_inline_results, .fa_inline_results.left { clear: left; margin-right: 20px; margin-top: 10px; width: 220px;}.fa_inline_results.right { margin-left: 20px; margin-right: 0;}.fa_inline_results h4 { margin: 0; font-size: 12px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #c3d2dc;}.fa_inline_results ul { list-style-type: disc; list-style-position: inside; color: #3769DD; margin: 0 0 15px; padding: 0;}.fa_inline_results ul li { margin: 0; padding: 0;}.fa_inline_results ul li.title { color: #333; list-style-type: none; font-weight: bold;}.fa_inline_results ul li.articles { color: #333; list-style-type: none;}</STYLE><!-- BEGIN WIDGET: FA RELATED RESULTS -->