PDA

View Full Version : Married Life in the Marine Corps.?

SladeReaper13
08-10-07, 11:14 PM
Hello, I was wondering if any of you could possibly provide me with some information about how it is like to be married in the Marine Corps. If you could provide this information and some tips for my girl to read it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Future Recruit Kellison
MOS-7212
Ship Date- 072309

sparkie
08-10-07, 11:21 PM
The Marines aint issued you a wife yet,,,,,, ;]

Phantom Blooper
08-10-07, 11:46 PM
I, Poolee Showershoe, take you the United States Marine Corps to be my lawfully wedded life,
knowing in my heart that you will be
my constant friend,
my faithful partner in life,
and my one true love.
On this special day of arriving at the MCRD,
I will give to you
in the presence of God and all those in attendance at DEP my pledge&sacred promise to stay by your side as your faithful servant
in sickness and in health,
in joy and in sorrow, as well as
through the good times and the bad .
I further promise to love you without reservation,
honor and respect you, give you my 110% and
provide for your needs as best I can.
I will protect you from harm,
comfort you in times of distress,
grow with you in mind and spirit,
always be open and honest with you,
and cherish you for as long as we both shall live!!!!!!!! :evilgrin:

Marine84
08-11-07, 09:49 AM
She's right dude! Whatever it is that she's thinking about .....................it's right. You will never be able to pledge enough love or anything else.

Seriously though, there are verrrrrrrrrrrry few that can make (have made/are making) it work but, they are few and far between. You will see more of the Marines than you do Susie back home on the block. You're human, $h!t happens, you get mighty close to the ones you're around more. Even if you're married going in, it's that way. Eventually, Susie will have a hard time being left alone alot because you'll be gone doing your Marine thing. It's hard.

I never understood why anybody wanted to be married or have some sort of significant other while being in the Corps. It was like they threw me into a GREAT BIG CANDY STORE!

SladeReaper13
08-11-07, 07:25 PM
I understand what your saying but i want to make the Corps. My life but she is my life now and we have talked about this since we were little tiny things pretty much. So I cant just leave her behind. I made a commitment to her as I am making a commitment to the Corps. We both understand the difficulty of what this new experience is going to be like. I would just like some information of what sort of things will happen. She would join the Corps. with me but she can't cause she has lazy eye in one eye and they can't give her a waiver for that.

Future Recruit Kellison
MOS-7212
Ship Date- 072309

jetdoc
08-11-07, 10:57 PM
I can give you my take...being married and being in the Marines was tough for us. Obviously its mostly family separation that sucks the most. I've been married for 27 years now and the time in the Corps were some of the more challenging years for sure.

You can make it, lots do, but as a young couple, and especially how much everyone is being deployed now, its going to be a challenge, IMO.

Goodluck, I hope it all works out.

SladeReaper13
08-12-07, 07:58 AM
Thank you Very Much.

Old Marine
08-12-07, 08:54 AM
If you are in love with this girl, marry her. I married my high school sweetheart and she served 20 years in the Marine Corps supporting my every move. When I retired she stood by my side and reviewed the parade with me. She even received retirement papers from the CG at MCRD, San Diego. We have now been married for 52 years and have had some bumps in the road, but mostly enjoyed every minute of it. In 1956 when we were married we ate a lot of cereal, but cereal was cheap then. Remember that both of you have to be pretty mature if you plan on making a go of marriage whether it be in the Corps or in Civilian life. Hope you have a wonderful marriage.

sparkie
08-12-07, 09:01 AM
There is only one thing that makes a marrage work, whether in the Marines or not. Selflessness. Period. Ego and selfishness will kill anything. Love your wife, no matter how you "feel". Thats your sworn job when you are a husband. And good luck.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-12-07, 10:11 AM
A sense of humor, the ability to combat being lonely and bored, self reliance, composure, and a good sense of situational awareness. All of these traits will prove to be of value for either one of the parties in the marriage, but most esp. for those who "Also serve, who stand and wait".

And...know this, the Corps comes first 99 percent of the time. The Corps is a demanding, and fickle, mistress. She demands all of your time and attention, all of the time.

I've been with my wife over 20 years, now. Deployments, moves, four kids, and the various tragedies and triumphs that fall in between. She's my best pal, confidant, and I'm damn lucky she's put up with me. It CAN be done, but sacrifices on both your parts will have to be made. When you get married, it's no longer all about "You"...it should be about "US", and what's best for "The good of the order".

Marine84
08-12-07, 11:36 AM
If you are in love with this girl, marry her. I married my high school sweetheart and she served 20 years in the Marine Corps supporting my every move. When I retired she stood by my side and reviewed the parade with me. She even received retirement papers from the CG at MCRD, San Diego. We have now been married for 52 years and have had some bumps in the road, but mostly enjoyed every minute of it. In 1956 when we were married we ate a lot of cereal, but cereal was cheap then. Remember that both of you have to be pretty mature if you plan on making a go of marriage whether it be in the Corps or in Civilian life. Hope you have a wonderful marriage.

You get a standing ovation !!!!!! :banana: THAT is what it's all about! Some marriages these days don't last 52 DAYS, much less YEARS!

Haffner
08-12-07, 06:48 PM
Tips for being married in the Corps:

1) Comissary only.
2) Ramen.
3) Peanut butter & jelly.
4) Cereal.

Well, that being said, if there's some love inbetween items 1-4, you should be good to go!

Mind you, however, once you pick up Cpl and have 2+ years in, you can add 5) Occasionally eating nice.

SladeReaper13
08-13-07, 10:43 PM
Thank you all for this information. You all have been very informative about this situation. And again I thank you all for the help.

sparkie
08-14-07, 08:29 PM
I married my wife for the money,,, Marine Corps money. I was dating for about 3 months and I got WesPac orders. Now I didn't figure on coming back, and I wanted her to have the $200,000 double indeminity. Trouble was, I came back after a year and had to get to know her all over again, like we first met. What a lovely woman. Been married 37 years now with 3 kids. God was so good. Wish all marriages were ,,,,,,,,,,

Old Marine
08-15-07, 08:58 AM
Don't believe all the crap about which should come first.

This is my list.

1. Family
2. Corps/Job
3. Country

ROHO
08-15-07, 09:08 AM
Make sure she will be in it for the long haul, you being a Marine, you may be seperated for long periods of time. That slick toung devil "JODIE" will be a lurking. I should know he took my girl and gone when I was on a med float back in 93. Like I said make sure both of you are committed to making it work.