PDA

View Full Version : Marines honor 65th anniversary of landing at Guadalcanal

thedrifter
08-10-07, 07:20 PM
U.S. service members, soldiers from various South Pacific countries, World War II veterans, government officials and Solomon Islanders gathered Aug. 7 to honor the 65th anniversary of the battle of Guadalcanal.

The ceremony was held at the Guadalcanal American Memorial, which overlooks the South-Pacific Ocean as well as the vast jungle terrain where more than 7,000 Americans and 30,000 Japanese lost their lives during WWII.

The Guadalcanal campaign in 1942 was the first major American Pacific campaign in WWII, and the first time the 1st Marine Division conducted combat operations as a division.

"I'm walking on hallowed ground here and I'm honored to have the opportunity to be here today," said U.S. Marine Corps Brig. Gen. John A. Toolan Jr, principal director for the Office of the Deputy under Secretary of Defense. "As a United States Marine, you can imagine this is very special to me."

Various government officials from the U.S., Solomon Islands, Australia, New Zealand, Korea, New Guinea and the United Kingdom were also in attendance and laid wreaths at the memorial in remembrance of the fallen warriors.

"We wish to commemorate the unselfish sacrifice of those who brought peace to our shores and let us not forget those who are still serving in other dangerous parts of the world," said Solomon Islands Prime Minister Hon M. Sogavare. "We are forever grateful and determined to keep their memory alive."

Before World War II, not many people knew about the small island of Guadalcanal near the Australian coast, but after the six-month battle, Americans became very familiar with the events that unfolded here from Aug. 7, 1942, to Feb. 9, 1943, said U.S. Ambassador to the Solomon Islands Leslie Rowe.

Several people in attendance were WWII veterans who served in the day-to-day fighting which took place there. They crossed thousands of miles of the South Pacific Ocean to pay their respects and visit some of the battlefield memorials and reconnect with other veterans.

"I'm more scared here addressing you all than I was out in the bush in 1942," said Owen 'Buz' Miller, a U.S. Army veteran who served with the 147th Infantry Regiment. Miller was chosen to speak on behalf of the countless war veterans who could not make the long trip. "On behalf of all the veterans, I thank you for remembering us all. You have our most profound thanks."

Solomon Island veterans, who served the U.S. and her allies as 'coast watchers' and scouts were also recognized at the memorial. Warriors such as Sgt. Maj. Vouza, who was made an honorary sergeant major by General Vandegrift and who earned both a Marine Corps Legion of Merit medal and a Silver Star medal, were acknowledged for their support against the Japanese in a separate ceremony following the main ceremony.

The memorial observance was attended by the 53-year-old Toolan, who led Regimental Combat Team 1 through Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom I and II.

"General Vandegrift said about 45 years ago that the scouts saved Guadalcanal and Guadalcanal saved the pacific," said Toolan, from Brooklyn, N.Y. "I feel honored to remember those who served here sixty-five years ago."

The day was also an opportunity to honor another fallen warrior at a dedication ceremony later that day.

A beachside memorial was constructed to honor U.S. Coastguard Petty Officer 1st Class Douglas A. Munro, who posthumously received the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest medal for combat, for his actions during the Guadalcanal campaign.

Several Marines from the Camp Pendleton-based 1st Marine Division and the Hawaii-based Marine Forces Pacific Band made the voyage out to the remote island to provide support and represent the division with the official Marine colors.

"It is an honor for me to be here at this memorial where so many Marines fought viciously and died for their country," said Cpl. Joshua L. Vee, a motor transport operator with 2nd Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment who served as a colors bearer for the ceremony. "I don't know any other Marine who has gotten the opportunity to come to this historic place for the Marine Corps. I will remember this for the rest of my life."

The island became a day of remembrance for numerous veterans from many different countries and branches of service who participated in the battle of Guadalcanal.

Every year there is an observance for the anniversary of the Marines landing at Guadalcanal, although the last one of this size and level of support was 15 years ago during the 50th anniversary of the Marines landing here, according to local government officials.

As the Marine Forces Pacific Band played 'Taps' in honor of the countless lives lost in battle, Marines like Vee fought back tears. The ceremony closed with the playing of the Marines' Hymn.