PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Qual

smjone4
08-09-07, 08:09 PM
Does anyone know for sure if you rate a pistol qual if you have a hmmwv liscense? I was told by a couple people yes but wanted to make sure. I have no clue where to look for stuff like this either. So anyone who knows I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Zulu 36
08-10-07, 02:35 AM
Does anyone know for sure if you rate a pistol qual if you have a hmmwv liscense? I was told by a couple people yes but wanted to make sure. I have no clue where to look for stuff like this either. So anyone who knows I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I think every Marine should be pistol qualed anyway, not just fam fired in boot camp. The Air Force qualifies all security forces on the pistol as well as rifles, etc. One may not necessarily carry a pistol in combat, but at least you have the skills to do so if required.

In Desert Storm, as a security police flight sergeant, I carried an M-9 along with my CAR-15.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-10-07, 09:22 AM
A HMMWV license does not mean you will need to qual with a pistol. You need to be in a billet that rates a pistol.

I agree with Zulu in part, but I believe every Marine should be issued a pistol. It isn't usually the weapon of choice, but if you need one and don't have it, you're in for a bad day.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-11-07, 08:36 AM
I agree that all Marines should be issued a pistol, preferably in .45 caliber and not the POS 9mm junk we have now.

That being said, carrying a pistol is purely 'billet' related and driving a hummveee may or may not, fall under that umbrella.

Realistically, a long gun is better. The pistol should be your 'choice of last resort'.

Accord
08-12-07, 12:24 AM
Does anyone know for sure if you rate a pistol qual if you have a hmmwv liscense?
No, you will not rate a pistol qual. If you deploy and you're a driver, you'll most likely get an M4.

The latest trend in the Corps is to now just issue M4's to those in a rank or billet that would have normally rated a pistol in the past. So instead of getting a pistol or a pistol and an A4, you'll just get an M4 if you deploy as a driver in your grunt unit.

rheinmark187
08-16-07, 04:42 PM
that's another thing. I see a sgt. major who works at camp victory swaggering with his sweet m4. While I carry a rattletrap 240g and my radio operator has an m16a4. Shouldn't Marines who stand a chance of using a new, lighter m4 rate it over the Sgt. Major. It's ass backward thinking.

Dave Coup
08-16-07, 08:21 PM
that's another thing. I see a sgt. major who works at camp victory swaggering with his sweet m4. While I carry a rattletrap 240g and my radio operator has an m16a4. Shouldn't Marines who stand a chance of using a new, lighter m4 rate it over the Sgt. Major. It's ass backward thinking.

That's been an ongoing thing since I was in Nam (Not M4 or anything like that) but we'd see REMF E7's, E8's with Shot Guns that would have come in real handy in the bush. I guess some things don't change.

Dave