PDA

View Full Version : Instructors open Lance Corporals Course

thedrifter
08-09-07, 04:49 PM
While the Corporals Course has built leaders for years, a group of Marines here has started preparing devil dogs before they earn their blood stripes.

During Aug. 2 and 3, 47 lance corporals from all over Camp Pendleton participated in a two-day "Lance Corporals Course" at the 22 Area Media Center .

"The course gives lance corporals the information they need to know before going on to corporal," said Sgt. Maj. Barry L. Casciotti, the sergeant major of Combat Logistics Regiment 15, 1st Marine Logistics Group.

"My team of instructors worked hard to make the Lance Corporals Course possible. I would like to thank Sergeant Scott G. Johnson, Corporal Mayra N. Rojas, Corporal Carleigh J. O'Quinn, Corporal Travis P. Magofna, and Corporal Jeffery J. Herman, for volunteering their time," said chief instructor Sgt. Thomas L. Parsons, ordnance maintainer with CLR-15.

While the instructors covered 12 Marine Corps subjects, they made sure to highlight arguably those most important for an aspiring NCO.

"Basic leadership, core values and troop information are the three areas we are trying to focus on," Casciotti said.

"I've seen a lack of mentoring of NCOs to junior Marines, also with Marines setting their own standards, not the ones set by the Marine Corps," said Johnson, a motor transport mechanic with CLR-15. "That is why we put the lance corporal's course together."

The instructors kept the classroom a fun and motivating learning environment by maintaining structured atmosphere laced with humor. The positive, upbeat tone seemed to keep the Marines focused on the lesson instead of just going through the motions. The results of the teaching style were clear when all the lance corporals actively participated during the guided discussion.

"It has been the two most productive days while in the Marine Corps since boot camp," said Lance Cpl. Dennis E. Alexander, a bachelor's enlisted quarters manager with CLR-15. "The instructors put an appealing spin on the training and were enthused about teaching us."

The NCOs put forth many hours of hard work to develop the Lance Corporals Course to help better the junior Marines and keep the Corps strong.

"In the future, I could see the Lance Corporal's Course [going] every month," Casciotti said.