PDA

View Full Version : son in trouble

cameron3533
08-08-07, 06:30 PM
my son is 17 , stationed at pensacola awaiting school. he recently informed me he has got into trouble for under age drinking. know he is realy upset because hes getting court marshelled. me being a marine have mixed feelings. sometimes i wish i didn't sign the papers . i'm so proud of him though. just confused sometime.

SGTBrentG
08-08-07, 06:33 PM
Court Marshalled for drinking??? Wow! NJP for sure...didn't think that would be court marshall offense. Is he telling you the whole story? Not trying to pick, just surprised. I hope he comes out of it ok. You know, one thing I can never understand...if you are old enough to die for your country, how the hell can you not be old enough for damn beer???

hrscowboy
08-08-07, 06:36 PM
He knew he wasnt suppose to be drinkin underage my brother the DI's express this all the time to them. If he got caught its his own dang fault and shouldnt have been drinking anyway, all tho i think it sucks that a man can die for his country but he cant drink a beer anymore.. yelp Sgt i agree..

SGTBrentG
08-08-07, 06:53 PM
I wont disagree that he didn't know and deserves to be punished, but a court marshal seems a little harsh....if he was only drinking a few beers.

JimmyK
08-08-07, 07:10 PM
I just came from PCola a few months ago. Theres a reason we call it the NJP capital of the world. More than likely hes being NJP'd and she got her words mixed up. Dont worry about your son, more than likely he will spend some time on restriction and if hes got any rank that may go too. If not he'll be non-rec for a while. Something like this, this early in his career probably wont affect him later on. What MOS school is you son going through?

yanacek
08-08-07, 07:21 PM
Agree with JimmyK. He's a very young non-rated Marine, and unless someone got injured as a result of the incident, any punishment should be relatively light. It's just too bad that the officers got involved rather than this just being handled by a Staff-NCO.

jetdoc
08-08-07, 07:36 PM
I agree with Tops agreement of JimmK...also I think its unreal that you are old enough to take a bullet or an IED but not old enough drink a beer on base, WTF?

Marine84
08-08-07, 08:39 PM
my son is 17 , stationed at pensacola awaiting school. he recently informed me he has got into trouble for under age drinking. know he is realy upset because hes getting court marshelled. me being a marine have mixed feelings. sometimes i wish i didn't sign the papers . i'm so proud of him though. just confused sometime.

Sounds like he's doing what I saw a lot of kids his age do - first time away from Mom & Dad and they go ape $h!t and think they're invincible. And it IS a crying shame that you can fight for your country but you can't drink a beer when you get done!

Don't worry so much, as long as he was on base, didn't tear anything up or tore somebody's face up - the punishment won't be THAT bad - he has nothing for them to take from him at this point. Go down there, smack him upside the head, tell him you love him and how proud you are of him, and tell him to keep his nose clean.

Messenger
08-08-07, 08:57 PM
Military not being able to drink has been a topic sure to get me angry for many years now.

The very idea that they are old enough to go fight in a war, kill or be killed for less then minimum wage and still not be “old enough” to buy a pack of smokes or drink a beer really P***** me off!

Either raise the age of enlistment or lower the age to drink a #$^# beer. At least when I was in you could have a beer on base in the e club and that seemed to work as well as could be expected.

Everyone has a plan for if they ever win a big lottery jackpot and my plan has been for about twenty years, that if I ever won I would buy the Corps a round.

SIMPER FI !!!

jetdoc
08-08-07, 09:06 PM
Exactly Kim and Messenger.

Haffner
08-08-07, 10:13 PM
Buy the Corps a round...I have never heard a more noble thing in my life!

flojo73
08-08-07, 11:08 PM
There is an old Marine Corps saying," If you havent had office hours than you are not a Marine" .
Good Luck to your Son.

jetdoc
08-09-07, 06:44 AM
Thats right flo, I had my own office hours...twice.

phantomphixer
08-09-07, 07:27 AM
PC Fla. is the new Memphis TN. Aviation schools TME etc. <br />
<br />
I was threatened with CM at least 3 differnt times in Memohis, We had a barracks called Animal House and I fell in with the wrong crowd....

cameron3533
08-09-07, 04:18 PM
thanks for the replys guys i agree that if your old enough to die for your country , you should be able to have afew beers. i'm having one now. i'llget the whole story and keep you guys posted, thanks semper fi

Sgt Leprechaun
08-11-07, 08:45 AM
One of the most assinine policies the Corps ever came up with.

Agree with all the postings. This should just be an NJP and not a courtmartial unless there is something more to the story. It's a blip, but nothing he shouldn't be able to overcome. Drive on...and one day it'll be a good sea story!

bootlace15
08-11-07, 09:36 AM
where theres a Marine,theres beer and fighting,while either drunk or sober,thats what were here for. We do it better than anyone. Some of us still do!!!!!!!!!

Just look at some of the things that we fight over on this site. How many times do you see BRB gotta get a beer. Then we say something stupid and get banned. Oh well you drink,you pay. LMFAO wheres 10Z? Hes still a friend and Marine..............

bootlace15 out

jason9987
08-13-07, 01:29 PM
Its a shame how harsh the punishments are for drinking, I unfourtunatley got caught drinking recently, I dont have anything else bad on my record I have the highest grade in my class and was the class leader, and they say that theres a good chance I'll lose my rank(Lcpl) 1/2 pay for 2 months, 45 days restriction and 45 days extra duty, I was supposed to graduate pretty soon also. between the loss in rank and 1/2 pay, this is going to cost me about $4000. just because I got drunk once. But I guess I gotta live with the consequences.

MOM4RMARINES
08-15-07, 09:41 PM
That sounds a bit drastic. I have heard many stories on under age drinking in the USMC. Hey my son had 2 restrictions back to back in 2003. He lost 50 % of his pay and was de-ranked. He says now, he benefited from getting those restrictions. Taught him a lesson. He still drank, but thank God was never caught again! He is 22 now, and actually has slowed down a bit on the drinking.

I wonder if there is more to the story than you have been told...

Sometimes the guys leave out a small bit of info to parents.

logans105
11-07-07, 06:00 AM
wow..before my son joined the corps we decided here at home in NY that if he was old enough to join and fight and maybe have to kill someone someday then he was old enough to drink, so instead of having him sneaking off to the woods or other places to drink with the boys we talked to the parents of his closest friends (they all hang out here anyway) and said, if they want a beer they can drink at our home, but...they all hand over their keys, they conduct themselves like young men and not fools and they stay the night all with our sons father and myself here to make sure nothing stupid happens..the boys all held to their word to us and after being able to do this they all told us that the mystery of drinking wasn't such a big deal anymore...so..since my son's enlistment in the corps and being stationed at Camp Lejeune he hasn't been involved in the drinking that goes on, he said that he's seen some pretty stupid behavior and it's just not worth what they do to you if your caught causing trouble outside the base...I guess it's just all in how you handle things, he's under some pretty great people there and he respects them a great deal, so does he drink, hell yes but only in moderation and that way he enjoys the "privileges" that he's given by his higher ups... I don't think the corps cares so much about the having a few beers on base, it's the knuckleheads that go off base and get into more trouble than it's worth...

SgtJimc
11-09-07, 02:18 PM
Unless he screwed some General's daughter or "borrowed" an airplane, I am sure he'll only get office hours. A Court Martial sounds extreme for this.

Big Jim
11-09-07, 04:37 PM
In California, I've Heard About A Bill Being Looked At Discussing The Very Subject Of Underage Service Men Being Allowed To Drink If They Are Indeed Enisted! I'll Follow It And Let You Know The Progress. But I Also Agree, If You're Old Enough To Die For Your Country, You Should Damn-well Be Old Enough To Drink A ******* Beer! These Stupid-ass Laws Need To Be Revised!

sharma
11-24-07, 11:49 AM
my son recently left for his first deployment. totally proud of that boy but i gotta tell you he got in so much trouble on his last liberty. he too got a big fat ticket on his new crotch rocket. due to the lack of license he had it impounded and lost forever. then he used my car....totalled it and got himself a DWI. he got in a boat load of trouble. he's not being court marshalled though and i'm glad for that. he did get in plenty of trouble though fortunately though his career is not over....just a little muddy for a while.

miclash1
12-14-07, 08:29 AM
i am going thru this with my son NOW. i can't get it thru his thick head that it is not a good idea to get another tattoo while home on leave. i just called him and read him this thread, and all the responses all the sgt's made regarding this topic. he still seems to not listen. he said the thing i am missing is that it all depends on where and what it is of. he also said he read all the rules and spoke to his DI before leaving PI, and they said it is no big deal. i just put a call into my son's recruiter to see if he can knock some sense into his head. i don't want to step on my son's shoes and i want him to make his own decessions, but i don't want him to mess everything up. he has worked so hard, and wanted this so much. i would hate to see him (*&^%$) up now...... is there anything you guys can help me with. something tangable that i can print out and show him?

thanks

michael

Nimrod1193
12-14-07, 09:44 AM
I went over this with my son before he left for Boot, especially since he's going into a position that requires a security clearance. I told him that the two things that will get his clearance yanked out from under him in a dead second are booze and bounced checks. I don't anticipate any problems over either with him; he's always had a good head on his shoulders.

Apache
12-14-07, 11:44 AM
Been there-Dne that
Hand delivered by the "locals" to the C.O. at 0300 !!!
Very ugly
Ended up
Yelling-screaming-extra details
Nothing permanent. However I did learn to avoid capture

Adikt916
12-14-07, 10:43 PM
Is it true that veterans coming home from Iraq under the age of 21 are going to be allowed to drink? :marine: :beer:

Is it it just BS commin down the grape vine? :cry:

Wyoming
12-14-07, 10:47 PM
What's the legal drinking age?
How would the 'new' rule be enforced?

This is like, one of those, like, questions - Bloop, your turn!!!

Phantom Blooper
12-15-07, 12:16 AM
Like I am like totally shockeeeeeed!

Here is the scoop that I have found to date so far.

In 1997, the Marine Commandant issued a policy which restricted on and off base drinking for Marines stationed overseas to age 21, even if the host-country had a lower drinking age law.
But in September 2006, the Corps lowered the drinking age for Marines in Japan to 20 to reflect the local drinking age.
With respect to the "special circumstances" rule, I should point out that all of the services require the installation commander to get special permission from their respective service headquarters in order to lower the drinking age for these special events. For example, if an Air Force Installation Commander wanted to lower the drinking age requirement for a party to celebrate the Air Force's "Birthday," he or she would need permission of the office of the Air Force Chief of Staff. Because a commander would be literally "sticking their neck out," (in case something happens), in my experience, such permission is almost never requested.
However, The Marines may have a different philosophy. In April 2007, the Marine Corps Commandant signed off on MARADMIN 266/07 (http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradmin2000.nsf/37f49138fc3d9c00852569b9000af6b7/bbd146b2303e4fa7852572c20046aee4?OpenDocument), allowing 18-year-old Marines to drink in foreign ports if the host nation’s law allows it. The message also gives the "green light" for Marine Corps commanders to have parties on base where 18 year old Marines can drink, during infrequent special occasions, such as a unit's return from combat deployment, or during the Marine Corps' Birthday Ball. The directive mandates that commanders "ensure that appropriate controls are in place to prevent endangering Military service members or the surrounding community," during such events.

In my personal opinion I agree that the drinking age would be hard to enforce and would create more alcohol related instances and maybe needless deaths.
As long as MADD are lobbying Washington I don't foresee a legal lowered drinking age on the CONUS military installations.

The cliché that if you are old enough to die for your country you are old enough to drink can be taken and deciphered as twofold. If one has a beer or two and can stop without trouble or can drink and maintain without pizzzing on the Colonel's trouser leg,I personally see no reason why you can't drink at 18,19,or 20 legally on base stateside without being refused in a organized club system. In my opinion the problem is control and who cannot maintain the level of alcohol to a semi safe level without getting behind a wheel or handlebars and taking ones life or innocent people and taking the drinking off base.

Fighting is part of Marine Corps hood (SIC) but in my again personal opinion and speaking with lessons learned and age it is okay to fight but much cleaner and safer to fight sober. Not preaching because I always have liked a cold brew and a warm shot!

If a Marine or serviceman is out in town and the Marine at eighteen can purchase beer or spirits legally and the civilian counterpart of the same age is denied.....the fight is on!

Keeping the Marines that imbibe safe and limited to drinking on the base could be a logistical and safety nightmare that I don't see to be changed in CONUS in the near future. For the male Marines and female Marines wanting to party at a club or hotel out in town and can't be served because of age the fight is again on! I would like be totally Shockeeeeeed if the CMC changes this throughout with an ALLMAR to include stateside Marine Corps installations.:beer:

:evilgrin:

Phantom Blooper
12-15-07, 08:32 AM
I remember the days......

yellowwing
12-15-07, 08:48 AM
Good point. When we drank on base at the E-Club or at barracks, we were much safer than out in town. (and the locals were safer too) ;)

There was a shop whose SSgt took his 3rd shift crew out to the beer park at 0 dark thirty. They were fairly quiet and polite to the MPs that came out to run them off.

The SSgt nicely asked the MP to talk to the Shift Supervisor while his lads put their beers down.

The Supervisor came out and reminded the SSgt that the Beer Park was closed at midnite per Order of the CG.

The SSgt replied, "Ah, but the General never said what time it reopens!"

The Supervisor answered, "Okay your responsible, remember to keep it down." :marine:

Phantom Blooper
12-15-07, 08:55 AM
I always have liked a cold brew and a warm shot!

[/QUOTE

[QUOTE]
we were much safer than out in town. (and the locals were safer too) ;)

Yeah, wing I wanted to edit mine to read:I always have liked a cold brew and a warm shot and a good fight! But alas,my time ran out for edit.:beer:

CHOPPER7199
12-15-07, 11:00 AM
Did we not call it, 3.2 at 1 time. lmao

TheMicKid
07-18-08, 09:10 AM
Great News for the Marines at Pensacola who lost a Rank for drinking under age.

Last night I got a call from my son..
He was told that we would get his current rank back retroactive from back in Aug when he lost it for drinking underage. Increasing his time in rank from 2 months to 11 months.

He said that he was told that the commander who demoted the marines for drinking under age in Pensacola, did not have authoritity, or something to take a rank from them.

I am guessing a Marine challenged the reduction in rank, and won. So they looked back at all the Marines who lost rank in Penscola, and are giving it back to them, retroactive to the date lost, and giving them the difference in PAY. NJP on their record was all that should of been done. This is great for all of them... IMHO

The one problem, is the effect that it might of had on some of the Marines, such as not being able to get their green belt, not haveing seniority, etc..

But still good news.... I am not sure if CAMERON3533 is still watching the forum...
and contrats :thumbup: to JASON9987

I am interesting to hear if anyone knows more detail on what actually happen in Pensacol?

hrscowboy
07-18-08, 09:40 AM
Buttom line is even tho i believe that if your old enough to die for your country your old enough to drink a beer the law is the law and Marines have been told numerous times not to be drinkin underage or face the UCMJ, What part of an order do Marines not understand about underage drinking..

USMC8286
10-06-09, 03:19 PM
What ever happened?

Apache
10-06-09, 03:36 PM
Agreement with all previous posts.
1) Is that all ? acouple beers?
2) Cryin shame on old enough to be shot at but-----
3) Been there done that------same problem
My Captian told me the problem was I got caught ! dummy.
4) I survived to fight another day and so will he.:thumbup:

DocGreek
10-06-09, 03:53 PM
:evilgrin:....FROM JUNE 2008, TILL TODAY???.....WHO GIVES A SH1T???
LIKE I SAID BEFORE..."let it be!!"...please post something in the "open squad bay", or in "chesty's hootch"...WE'LL LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR POSTS!!!....SEMPER FI...Doc Greek...:flag:

mach1usmc
01-08-10, 08:56 AM
Underage drinking to me is NOT something to be punished for. Unless there are mitigatng circumstances ie- destruction of Gov't property, DUI, assault etc I usually just make them pour it out and I move on. I can't think of ANY Marine that hasn't participated underage drinking and many go on to be fine officers or SNCO's. I think it's just such a knee jerk reaction to slam kids for stuff like that these days.

On the other hand if your son is getting CM'd for drinking there has got to be more to the story than what he's telling you. This might be a multiple offense situation or something else happened including drinking.

Good Luck.

Juicemang
01-08-10, 09:29 AM
I never got into any trouble while on active duty (maybe because I was 21 when I hit the fleet), but I will say this. Whenever I was on duty or just hanging out around the barracks, I would often see younger Marines getting busted by the duty for underage drinking. It made me proud to see that, much more often than not, the SDO or OOD would simply make them either pour the booze out, or just give them a talking to and leave them be.

If Marines aren't hurting themselves, each other, or government property, or driving, why the hell would you NJP them for drinking on base? Drunk on duty, or students coming to class drunk is one thing. Marines drinking off duty and doing absolutely nothing wrong is another.

I think, in due time, the law will change.

ALPHABET4SHORT
02-24-10, 03:37 PM
as a junior Marine and stationed in New Orleans for my first duty station it sucks being under age in this city. my NCO's and SNCO's in MOS school always told us we aren't telling you guys not to drink if you are able to serve your country you should be able to drink what you want your all grown men and women just if your going to drink make sure you drink responsibly don't out on town get a room out in town and drink play music but stay in your motel room. see you guys on monday--(end of liberty breaf)

jerryk
02-24-10, 03:55 PM
take me to the brig i want to see real MARINES

hrscowboy
02-24-10, 05:34 PM
thank you mothers of america and MADD this is how all this crap got started..

Gator347
03-04-10, 11:10 AM
I knew a SSgt that when he was in Okinawa, He & and his wife would throw cook-outs for some of the younger Marines (Newbies). Two of them got stopped by the MPs who were only 19 yrs old.

He (SSGT) got busted to SGT and it took him 3 yrs to get it back.
My son was also told that any NJPs pretty much ends a RE for first timers.
I also have a niece who is a Lt JG that was in in Pensacola. She said, "They flunked recess because they don't play"

They'll NJP at the drop of a hat.

egbutler1
03-04-10, 02:05 PM
I just came from PCola a few months ago. Theres a reason we call it the NJP capital of the world. More than likely hes being NJP'd and she got her words mixed up. Dont worry about your son, more than likely he will spend some time on restriction and if hes got any rank that may go too. If not he'll be non-rec for a while. Something like this, this early in his career probably wont affect him later on. What MOS school is you son going through?
Damn that bug Jimmy it gets me everytime!

Supersquishy
03-04-10, 02:11 PM
My son was also told that any NJPs pretty much ends a RE for first timers.

Hogwash!, don't believe everything you hear and pass on bad info.

It depends on the event and time period.

LetUsNvr4Get
03-05-10, 07:04 AM
Whoever said a single NJP ruined your chances for RE-Up needs to check their facts. I did pretty much the exact same thing that this young Marine did. I was in my school at 29 Palms and got busted for underage drinking along with being out-of-bounds for the weekend in an off-limits section of Southern California. Not going to say I wasnt a little scared myself, standing in front of the Major with fresh clean crisp collars already. I didn't know what to expect. But all in all in the end, i got what i had coming to me, and it made me a better Marine for it. I was NJP'd, placed on restrictions, and non-rec'd for 6 months. But its like my Co Gysgt told me, "you only have two ways you can go from here, you can either become that sh*tbag Marine, p*ssed off at the Corps for screwing you over, or you can learn from it, and come back, work towards meritorious promotion and get back on track."

I have every confidence that your son will take this as a very hard lesson learned, but in the end it will make him not only a better Marine, but a better man and a better person because of it.

After all didn't the Man himself, Chesty, say that "you weren't a Marine until you'd been NJP'd twice?"

I wish your son all the best in his career and life in the Corps.

Semper Fi
JJ

Oh yea forgot to mention that I am on my 2nd enlistment and I had ZERO trouble with my re-enlistment even with my past transgressions

Gator347
03-05-10, 01:40 PM
http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN0330-09.aspx

FY10 ENLISTED RETENTION GUIDELINES
MOVE INTO AN OPEN MOS IF REENLISTMENT IS DESIRED.
4. MUST HAVE A CURRENT 1ST CLASS PFT.
5. MUST HAVE NO ASSIGNMENTS TO THE MARINE CORPS BODY COMPOSITION PROGRAM OR MILITARY APPEARANCE PROGRAM.
6. MUST HAVE NO NJP, COURTS MARTIAL, OR CIVILIAN CONVICTIONS.

Just saying.....

Supersquishy
03-05-10, 02:09 PM
http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN0330-09.aspx

FY10 ENLISTED RETENTION GUIDELINES
MOVE INTO AN OPEN MOS IF REENLISTMENT IS DESIRED.
4. MUST HAVE A CURRENT 1ST CLASS PFT.
5. MUST HAVE NO ASSIGNMENTS TO THE MARINE CORPS BODY COMPOSITION PROGRAM OR MILITARY APPEARANCE PROGRAM.
6. MUST HAVE NO NJP, COURTS MARTIAL, OR CIVILIAN CONVICTIONS.

Just saying.....

Thats for competing for boatspace in a closed MOS. Just saying...

Gator347
03-23-10, 11:34 AM
Super....

Don't you think Boatspace is going to be VERY tight?

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2010/01/marine_jobcuts_012509w/

Corps slashes 300 jobs in cost-cutting move

I am just repeating what my son has been told. I hope it's all BULL

But it looks like things are getting tight.