PDA

View Full Version : Recon Marine Duties

TheDualityOfMan
08-08-07, 11:40 AM
Heya, as you may or may not know, I'm currently doing research into the USMC with plans to write a book about the corps. in a few years time.
I've not decided on a definitive idea for my storyline yet, so am just giving myself a wide area to research.

At the moment, I am looking into the RECON marines.

My first base question is, what kind of duties does a RECON marine generally fufill? ( P.s, please don't just say " reconnaissance" Haha! I mean more specifically.)
There used to be a list of RECON Marine duties on Answer.com, but the link is broken.
I figure you're the best people to ask about this.
Thanks!
Greatest respects to you all.

( P.s, answers from both Recon Marines, non-recon and those simply with knowledge is welcomed!)

davecerami275
08-08-07, 12:38 PM
Hint: Marine is a proper noun and proper nouns area always capitalized

TheDualityOfMan
08-08-07, 01:59 PM
^ Okay, I'm quite aware of that, but Im typing on the internet!! I think proper gramer etc. can be slightly relaxed!
Thanks for the tipe though Dave.

aviator101
08-08-07, 04:13 PM
Oh man here comes the assault of pi$$ed of Marines and Poolees, I'm heading for the bunker. Who's with me?

jetdoc
08-08-07, 04:20 PM
^ Okay, I'm quite aware of that, but Im typing on the internet!! I think proper gramer etc. can be slightly relaxed!

Not about using the title Marine buddy. Incidentally what is "tipe"?

:D

Zulu 36
08-08-07, 04:30 PM

Well, not really. Admittedly some of our members are a bit lacking in education, often through no fault of their own, and their posts are somewhat tough to read. Also, some times posts are full of Marine slang and acronyms. Sorry, but most of us are Marines and that is part of our vocabulary now.

However, we do ask those who can write well, to do so. Spelling and grammar do count, particularly if you are a writer and looking for research on the Marine Corps. Establishing the old bona fides, you know.

We are very particular about certain words being properly written at all times, such as Marine, the Corps, and so forth. Even our less gifted writers follow that rule.

Basically the rule is: This part of the site is not the chat room and proper writing, according to your abilities, is requested.

You can come up now 101. :marine:

Stevens444
08-08-07, 06:13 PM
haha, Recon Marine. Goodluck with that mate. I'm looking into the same thing. But you just can't pick to become one in your MOS. You have to earn it mentally and physically. It's alot harder than you think. If you think joining without doing any prior workouts is going to get you into Recon think again. I would give you all the information on becoming one. But right now I am just too damn exhausted from training to become a Marine, and be in Recon. If I dont make Recon, oh well. I'll be a damn good Infantry Marine. See you all in the fleet soon. Semper Fi.

Alphaonethree
08-23-07, 11:19 AM
Read a book dude.

yellowwing
08-23-07, 12:06 PM
Of all people, Rolling Stone had a great article on Recon in the Iraq invasion, Generation Kill. The author ended up writing a book out his embedded experience. Look it up.

FistFu68
08-23-07, 01:57 PM
:evilgrin:Dually-Boy,"IF I TOLD YOU THE DAILY DUTIE'S OF A FORCE-RECONNAISSANCE MARINE (FMFLANT) I'D HAVE TOO KILL YOU THEN":evilgrin:

gwalters
08-23-07, 02:17 PM
Tankers are the true heros.:flag: