PDA

View Full Version : Remington Raider?

TheDualityOfMan
08-08-07, 07:20 AM
Who exactly ARE the Remington Raiders and what do they do? This is what I've heard ( info might be incorrect):

1. They're the very best of FORCE Recon.

2. They're pretty top secret.

3. They do jobs most people couldn't even image exist.

Some of that might be total BS, I'm finding it hard to get ANY information on the subject. I'm a writer and hoping to publish some books about the USMC in the near future. Books that will give the respect and pride I feel you Marines deserve.
For the next few years though I'm just doing research on everything and anything I can find about the USMC.
I came across the Remington Raiders on this site but could find out little more.
If the subject can AT ALL be discussed, I'm very eager to know more about them. However, if it is something that cannot be talked about I understand that.
Thanks very much,
Semper Fi!
You all have my respect with you.

jinelson
08-08-07, 07:36 AM
LMFAO I don't know where you got that info. A Remington Raider is MOS 0141 Administrative Clerk in the old days we called them Remington Raiders because the Corps had bought all Remington type writers. Good luck with your research I hope that explains what they are and why you can't find in info on them.

Jim

DWG
08-08-07, 08:10 AM
Quick thinking and a great cover up, Jinelson! :thumbup: The public, and the enemy, must never know the "true" nature of the covert Remington Raiders! Their secret must be kept!:evilgrin:

How could some one who makes a living out of writing not make the connection of typewriters with Remington. I guess he could be way too young to ever have heard of a typewriter, eh?;)

jinelson
08-08-07, 08:46 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/LMAO.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/ATT1562190-1.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/muttley-vi.gif

davecerami275
08-08-07, 08:48 AM
Who exactly ARE the Remington Raiders and what do they do? This is what I've heard ( info might be incorrect):

1. They're the very best of FORCE Recon.

2. They're pretty top secret.

3. They do jobs most people couldn't even image exist.

Some of that might be total BS, I'm finding it hard to get ANY information on the subject. I'm a writer and hoping to publish some books about the USMC in the near future. Books that will give the respect and pride I feel you Marines deserve.
For the next few years though I'm just doing research on everything and anything I can find about the USMC.
I came across the Remington Raiders on this site but could find out little more.
If the subject can AT ALL be discussed, I'm very eager to know more about them. However, if it is something that cannot be talked about I understand that.
Thanks very much,
Semper Fi!
You all have my respect with you.

please tell me this is a joke

i am waiting for the punch line

TheDualityOfMan
08-08-07, 09:25 AM
No, seriously, I read that one THIS site!!
Yeah, I did think of the Remington Typerwriters but didn't see the connection..
There was someone who said on this site to someone who was wanting to join RECON that if they did really good they could become a " Remington Raider". The person then asked what that was, and the guy said, " They're the top recon marines".
Was that a joke? Or was the guy just BSing. I seriously don't get it.
Feeling like a right dumb-ass now though! Haha! Im not acting like I know anything about the USMC yet. That's why I'm trying to research.
Can some explain what the hell that was about then?

Kegler300
08-08-07, 09:29 AM
Remington Raiders...the backbone of the Corps. :no:

TheDualityOfMan
08-08-07, 09:48 AM
" Remington Raiders... the backbone of the Corps"
^ Haha!!!
I'm feeling more sorry now for the guy that got told he could become a " Remington Raider". I think he totally bought it!!

Even though I've made a fool of myself, I'm gonna keep asking questions. I think the USMC are a bunch of amazing people, and I wanna publish something about them.
Thanks, Jinelson, for clearing that up for me! Everyone elses comment where hilarious so thanks for them too!

Can I ask then, would you guys agree with this statement:

"Recon Marines have a reputation as the best of the best. We bring the finest the Marine Corps have to offer." -- First Sgt. Erik Shirreffs

Would love to hear you guys opinions on that.

DWG
08-08-07, 09:48 AM
There was someone who said on this site to someone who was wanting to join RECON that if they did really good they could become a " Remington Raider". The person then asked what that was, and the guy said, " They're the top recon marines".
Feeling like a right dumb-ass now though! Haha! Im not acting like I know anything about the USMC yet. That's why I'm trying to research.

Sounds like some poolees pulling each others' legs and you got in the middle of it! :D For REAL answers, try the Marine Corps Museum in DC. They have a web site. You can, and will, hear anything and everything on this site!:p

Marine84
08-08-07, 09:51 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Jim - let me have some of those laughing critters!

I even had a warning to hold onto my coffee when I read this one - didn't listen - NOW look at my monitor!

DWG
08-08-07, 09:54 AM
By the way Duality; beware of a creature that haunts these halls that goes by the name Marine84; she may tell you anything! OOPS! :scared: Too late!:D

TheDualityOfMan
08-08-07, 09:54 AM
Haha! Yeah that was my 1st post and I think maybe this forum isn't the best place to be looking for comprehensive information about USMC!!!!!
Glad I gave you all a laugh though! Haha!

yellowwing
08-08-07, 09:57 AM
CARLSON'S RAIDERS (http://www.usmarineraiders.org/songcarlsonsraiders.html) had a lot to do with shaping Force Recon, not Remington. :)

Please feel free to tell more folken what every Marine knows and has known for over 231 years. :usmc:

Marine84
08-08-07, 10:01 AM
I'll tell 'em anything? You guys are way worse than me!

And, don't get discouraged Man - believe it or not, this IS a good place to get info. Is that ALL you're interested in writing about - recon? If so, you're going to have to wait for one of them to come through.

TheDualityOfMan
08-08-07, 10:03 AM
Will do! Haha! Thanks yellowwing, that's maybe what the dude ment to say rather than " Remington" Haha!
I think the Marines deserve more respect than they currently have. I want to write a book that's technically accurate though, that's why I'm giving myself a couple of YEARS to get my information in line.
I'm right at the beginning of things and right now KNOW NOTHING!! I think you can all tell! Haha!
But I'm very keen to learn about your corps. so that I can do you all justice.

So, do you guys believe the quote I put above. I'll post it again:
"Recon Marines have a reputation as the best of the best. We bring the finest the Marine Corps have to offer." -- First Sgt. Erik Shirreffs

Do you think that's founded or not?

Thanks for the encouragement Marine84!! I'm not so sure what area I wanna focus on yet. I'm just looking into Recon right now.

You guys got any personal preferences about what you'd like to be written about you? Anything you feel needs to be said?

DWG
08-08-07, 10:14 AM
American History Forum puts on a WW2 seminar every year in Sarasota (Feb). It's always attended by a former Marine Raider (pre runner to recon) by the name of Ed Bearrs. He is the Historian Emeritus of the National Park Service. I believe he now lives in Virginia. He is a Civil War Historian for the most part but the man has more historical knowledge stored in his head than a library, from all eras. Contact me if you are interested in the seminar.

jinelson
TheDualityOfMan I echo Marine84's post, this is the best site for comprehensive information on our Corps. Im sorry if I made you feel ridiculed or unwelcome because you are certainly welcome. Its just that your thread tickeled me. Please stick around and follow some of our finest young American patriots through their senior year of High School while in DEP and then achieve the proudest day of their life. If you read here long enough you will know and understand why we are a such tight family and why we are so proud.

OORAH!!!

Jim

Marine84
Being the ONLY female that plays with these guys on a regular basis................

I think if the 1st Sgt thinks Recon is the finest of the finest, I'm sure they are but, if you ask the rest of us, we'll ALL tell you that OUR own MOS was the finest of the finest. Recons ARE pretty bad a$$ but it takes ALL of us to make that big Green Machine work.

yellowwing
08-08-07, 10:20 AM
...You guys got any personal preferences about what you'd like to be written about you? Anything you feel needs to be said?
Yes, tell them all that yellowwing was the greatest warrior to have served from 1983-1989! :marine:

DWG
08-08-07, 10:22 AM
Yes, tell them all that yellowwing was the greatest warrior to have served from 1983-1989! :marine:

So, he's writing a comic book? :banana:

Chumley
08-08-07, 10:24 AM
Duality,

One quote frequently found here should put you on the right track

US Marine: No better friend, No worse enemy.

Recon should have it's own chapter(s). They are the most thoroughly trained and tested and therefore the ideal, not intended to slight anyone. You're not getting answers because every Marine, in our own minds, no matter what the actual MOS we had, we believe we will prevail always. Don't overlook any of the characters who make up the Band of Brothers. I'd take any US Marine on my side anytime over anyone, without knowing anything else about them.

Good luck with your research...I might suggest enlisting in the reserves if you truly want to know the deal.

C

TheDualityOfMan
08-08-07, 10:24 AM
Wow that's all really great.

Don't worry, Jinelson, you didn't make my feel unwelcome! I just felt like a right ass for having asked such a dumb question!
It was cool you all laughed, I was hysterical at myself too! Haha! I'm gonna be spending about two or so years on research, and this is only the beginning.
I'm gonna keep using this site for information then, and I hope you guys can give me a hand learning about your corps.

I'm hear to listen to you all!!
God know I need to learn!! HAHA!!!

Chumley, that's all great!! KEEP IT COMING GUYS!!!

Chumley
08-08-07, 10:25 AM
We're apparently synched '84.

yellowwing
08-08-07, 10:34 AM
Well, okay if he's not writing a comic book. :(

Check out the YouTube clips of the Chef at Large guy and the US Marines (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHLTLZ4thvs&mode=related&search=).

Its in several parts, but Anthony Bourdain discovers many astute insights to the US Marines that helped evacuate him and many other civilians from Lebanon recently.

TheDualityOfMan
08-08-07, 10:40 AM
Thanks so much for that link, yellowwing!

And, hey, I dunno EXACTLY what I'm gonna write about yet but I could try get you name in somewhere!! Like as a Marines nickname or something.
I'd have to work that one into the story somehow. I'll let you know closer to the time!
That link was great though! Thanks for your help & support man.

Marine84
08-08-07, 08:51 PM

Next to his Woman Marine counterpart (don't know which part yet) - MOI :angel: and we'll call it a love story with all the ass kissing that will go on - LOL! :banana:

yellowwing
08-08-07, 08:56 PM
Okay then, you were the greatest warrior to have served from 84-88! ;)

It will make a fine comic serial. Much better than Sgt Rock! :thumbup:

Marine84
08-08-07, 09:06 PM
yeah, yeah that's the ticket! But, I want it to be known I'm a WOMAN. LOL!

WalkingMan
08-09-07, 05:46 AM

Talk about funny...

I ran a Google search, using the thread:

"remington raider" marine corps

...and the first three hits weredefinitions of Remington Raider... the fourth hit, was this thread... you, asking the question.
:)

ivalis
08-09-07, 06:03 AM
Never Retreat...........backspace

DWG
08-09-07, 06:23 AM
Okay then, you were the greatest warrior to have served from 84-88!

It will make a fine comic serial. Much better than Sgt Rock!

You mean better than "Wonder Woman"! Call it "Wonder Marine Woman". Camo bikini with the Vulture/8 Ball and Hook emblems! :thumbup:

Jarhead1975
04-27-12, 02:31 PM
Hey Jinelson, I was a Remington Raider (0151/0141/0161) and we were the best of the best LOL but certainly not Recon, maybe an admin assigned to a recon Hq unit, but that's about it. Yes we could make people disappear, make you a hero, or a slime. A good Admin clerk can be a powerful asset. Though the 1stSgt called me a Remington raider I never actually get to use the Remington typewriter, we were using IBM Selectric s by then. They were huge green monsters. In 1978 At Hq FMFLant, they introduced the "word processors, IBM computers with Word programs. Won't know if any other unit got them before us but that was the firsat time I saw them. Now to my knowledge it is all computerized.

Jarhead1975
04-27-12, 02:34 PM
They are hush hush unit. LMAO Seriously though, We "Remington Raiders" are the Cpl Radars of the Marine Corps.

Jarhead1975
04-27-12, 03:01 PM
Granted the jobs of those in the different MOS may be different, but it takes all MOS's to make up the Mean Green Machine. Yes, Grunts may joke about wing wipers, and Admins, Admins may call a grunt "dumb" (though there is nothing dumb about a grunt). But only we have the right to do so, we have all gone through the same Basic Training and serve on all the same bases, and when the bullets start flying it doesn't matter, we all bleed the same. I served as an Admin clerk. If I screwed up the records, grunts did not get paid, did not eat or get the gear theyy needed to do the job. Bottom line, it doesn't matter what your job is, its part of what makes the Corps run.

Jarhead1975
04-27-12, 06:00 PM
Well said Chumley. Duality, I too hope that you were not ridiculed by my comments. One thing you will find is that most Marines hasve a sense of humor, yes there are a few gruff ones, but for the most part most of us like to have fun every now and then. At the 1st MarDiv I worked in an office where several grunts worked as Admins (The term Remington Raiders was still being used, though that brand of typewriter was not) we got to joking around one day, they were saying how much better Marines grunts were. So I typed a note: While you are wasting your time reading this message, one of my snipers is zeroed in on your dumb ass. Good bye." Just remember, no matter what MOS, do not understimate a Marine.

Deduke
04-28-12, 10:15 AM
You guys got any personal preferences about what you'd like to be written about you? Anything you feel needs to be said?[/QUOTE]

This is from the USMC Archive at Quantico.

"Of the approximately 5000 Marines who went into ( the Combined Action Program) less than half survived. It has been estimated that 70% were wounded once, 40% were wounded twice, and approximately 65% received decorations for heroism. In 1968, the Combined Action Program comprised less than 3% of all U.S. personnel in the I Corps area, yet they accounted for 43% of the eneny KIAs. This program was the smallest combat unit existing in Vietnam, but it was also the most highly decorated."

sgthebert
04-28-12, 12:31 PM
Proud to have been a Remington Raider (0161)!!! That's exactly the term the Senior DI used when he annouced my MOS that fateful day in 1974!

Jarhead1975
04-28-12, 04:58 PM
Roger that. Semper Fi