PDA

View Full Version : New recruit interested in MECEP

cytokin
08-06-07, 07:44 PM
I am/was planning on going into the Marine Corps and then going for MECEP. I found out today from a recruiter that my arm tattoos might keep me from becoming a Marine Corps officer. Could anyone let me know if they think my tattoos will be a problem? I'm 22 and I'm currently a Systems Engineer for a company in MD. I want to be a Marine more than anything.

http://a158.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/55/l_f131f8ffe5bdc9092957d6e199033525.jpg

I hope that it will not be a problem. If anyone can give me some advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Anthony
cytokin@yahoo.com

Zulu 36
08-06-07, 08:23 PM
You need to complete your profile, then someone may answer your questions.

cytokin
08-06-07, 09:17 PM
Profile has been updated, thanks!

thewookie
08-06-07, 09:42 PM
I don't think they're that bad for the general public considering what I see these days, but if the recruiter said they might not like it then I bet he's got good info behind that statement. At least they both match. You can probably still become enlisted, and there's nothing wrong with that if you really want to be a Marine. Once you're in and you're on point they might overlook it. I guess the best case would be to go in enlisted and then see what happens. The worst case is if you can't hack it at boot camp and have to go back to being a system engineer for the rest of your life without ever holding the title. I hear the Marines are looking for a few good men?

cytokin
08-06-07, 09:49 PM
How much would a recruiter know about this though? Who would be the best person to talk to? Is there someone I could talk to that would make these kind of decisions? I currently serve in the Air National Guard and they are cool with the tattoos. I am pretty sure I can definately enlist with them. I currently have a wife and two children, officer pay would help get me back to what my current salary is.

Thanks for the reply!
Anthony

sgt tony
08-06-07, 10:54 PM
You need to go and talk to the recurtier that enlists officers he/she could answer your questions. If the tats are below the sleeve then you would need a waiver. But call and ask for the officer recurtier will get you going the right way.
Best of luck

rvillac2
08-06-07, 11:20 PM
You are absolutely going to have trouble getting into an officer program right now. They would be visible in the service uniform and the Officer Corps holds themselves to a higher standard when it comes to appearance. Your best bet is to talk to the OSO at the nearest MEPS. He should be able to give you a solid answer.

If you're making a decent wage as a Systems Engineer, it's going to take you a while to match what you're getting in the military.

cytokin
08-07-07, 06:30 AM
I know it will take a long time to match wages. I get nothing out of my current job though. Thanks for the help

thewookie
08-07-07, 07:17 AM
How much would a recruiter know about this though? Who would be the best person to talk to? Is there someone I could talk to that would make these kind of decisions? I currently serve in the Air National Guard and they are cool with the tattoos. I am pretty sure I can definately enlist with them. I currently have a wife and two children, officer pay would help get me back to what my current salary is.

Thanks for the reply!
Anthony

Well, even though I think the Marine recruiters (all recruiters) have been known to bend the truth a little, they are Marines. And he'll know because he's in the know, so it's his job to know. This isn't something you're going to get much support on, as Sgt. V said the USMC Officer Corps holds personal appearance a little higher. Can't have it your way, this is the Corps. Not the Guard. Sorry to hear about your pay with a wife and kids but you came here expecting no BS answers and we gave them to you. Good luck.

JCam0331
08-07-07, 10:06 PM
I am/was planning on going into the Marine Corps and then going for MECEP. I found out today from a recruiter that my arm tattoos might keep me from becoming a Marine Corps officer. Could anyone let me know if they think my tattoos will be a problem? I'm 22 and I'm currently a Systems Engineer for a company in MD. I want to be a Marine more than anything.

http://a158.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/55/l_f131f8ffe5bdc9092957d6e199033525.jpg

I hope that it will not be a problem. If anyone can give me some advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Anthony
cytokin@yahoo.com

Those are some pretty big and visible tattoos.

The only person that can give you a 100% no bs assessment is an OSO. God Bless the Recruiter, I'm sure he's a great guy, but there are recruiters out there who attempt to discourage qualified officer candidates from going the O-route and enlisted through lies and half truths.

I'm not saying thats the case for your recruiter, but you're going to need to talk to an OSO if you want to become a Marine Officer.

And the fastest way to become a Marine Officer is to go to OCS through the PLC/OCC program. Not MECEP.

However, should you choose to become an enlisted Marine before you become an officer, then there are several options you can take.

1. As an active or reserve Marine, you can apply for the Naval Academy Prep School, which prepares you for enrollment into the US Naval Academy.

2. MCP - Meritorious Commissioning Program: If you possess a 2 year degree and show great leadership qualities, your CO may nomiate you for this program if he believes your abilities would serve the Marine Corps better as an Officer.

3. ECP - Enlisted Commissioning Program: If you possess a bachelor's degree, you may apply for this program where they will send you to OCS and upon completion of OCS you will be commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant.

4. MECEP - Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program: Correct me if I'm wrong fellow Marines but with all of the enlisted commissioning programs you need to be Corporal or above. This program basically means the Marine Corps pays you to go to college to get your degree. You will attend OCS and once you graduate from this program, you will be commissioned a 2nd Lt.

But...with those two large tattoos, it may be possible that you don't even have a chance with the Officer program. You need to talk to an OSO. Perhaps if you're dedicated enough and never give up, they will see the fight in you and give you a shot. You never know.

Semper Fi and good luck.

JCam0331
08-07-07, 10:10 PM
I know it will take a long time to match wages. I get nothing out of my current job though. Thanks for the help

You know the other 4 branches of service have officers too right?

O-1 pay is O-1 pay. A Marine Lieutenant does not make more than an Army Lieutenant or a Navy Ensign.

You might want to talk to an Army/Navy/Air Force OSO. They might be more lax on the tattoo regulations.

cytokin
08-07-07, 10:35 PM
Thanks for all of the comments. I'll call the local OSO tomorrow; hopefully they will give me some more information about this. I never should have got those tattoos huh? Maybe I could interview with someone there. I think I would be a great addition to the Marine Corps.

I do not want to be an officer in any other branch but the Marine Corps. My father wants me to stay with the Air Force, he's been enlisted for 24 years in the Air Force and thinks I'm crazy to want to join the Marine Corps, or maybe he's just crazy?

Thanks,
Anthony

JCam0331
08-08-07, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all of the comments. I'll call the local OSO tomorrow; hopefully they will give me some more information about this. I never should have got those tattoos huh? Maybe I could interview with someone there. I think I would be a great addition to the Marine Corps.

I do not want to be an officer in any other branch but the Marine Corps. My father wants me to stay with the Air Force, he's been enlisted for 24 years in the Air Force and thinks I'm crazy to want to join the Marine Corps, or maybe he's just crazy?

Thanks,
Anthony

What do you want to do in the Corps? If you want to be a fighter pilot, the Air Force obviously offers that. If you want to be an Infantry Commander, the Army obviously needs those and I don't think you'd be any less proud as a platoon leader in the 75th Rangers or another elite Army Infantry Unit than as a platoon commander in the Corps.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but those tattoos will make it darn near impossible to be selected. Maybe if you ran a 300 PFT and had straight up 4.0s in college you might have a chance.

But then again - speak with an OSO.

thewookie
08-08-07, 09:50 AM
Well it sounds like you have a good attitude about it so go see them and find out in person. The best answers come from the source, in person. Trouble can be getting to the source sometimes. I don't think your Dad is crazy he's just proud of what he did and I'm sure thinks it that it worked for him, it'll work for you. But you have to follow your own path, if you REALLY want to be a Marine Officer do what it takes and make it happen. They can take those tattoo's off. Won't be invisible but how bad do you want it? Anything gained comes at a price, nothing is free or easy but that's why it's worth it in the end.

JCam0331
08-08-07, 09:58 AM
www.MarineOCS.com (http://www.MarineOCS.com)

go there and register. Speak with fellow applicants, candidates, new Lieutenants and there might even be an OSO or two there that can help you.

SgtHMH
08-08-07, 04:49 PM
Well if you want to be a Marine Officer and the Tattoos are the problem. The only thing you can do is go see a skin Dr. and have the Tattoos removed with the Lazer Gun Tattoo Remover. Get the treatments and the tattoos will be gone and no more problem. It is up to you if you want to take care of this problem on your body, then become a Marine Officer. The Corp is now not liking Marines having Tattoos below short sleve length on the arms and also below shorts length on the legs. There is a order on this that came out from Headquarters Marine Corps on Tattoos. Your best bet is the Skin Dr. with the Lazer that removes them.

Semper Fi

JCam0331
08-08-07, 05:37 PM
Thats a huge price to pay to become a Marine Officer. If you really want it THAT bad

jetdoc
08-08-07, 05:54 PM
check this link out. I posted the actual order in another thread but can't find it now...busy at work.

http://www.marines.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/BC011292443EE73F852572BD0002214D?opendocument

jetdoc
08-08-07, 07:31 PM
Here is the actual Marine Corps Order:

http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradmin2000.nsf/37f49138fc3d9c00852569b9000af6b7/ec7256307ac62075852572a3007c12fc?OpenDocument

cytokin
08-08-07, 07:38 PM
According to the maradmin.. I'm fine.

jetdoc
08-08-07, 07:56 PM
Thats how I was taking it. BTW dude, it only took me about 45 minutes of digging through my old posts to find the link...you're welcome.

;) I am a tattooed one as well, just a couple more than you, hehe. Goodluck.

JCam0331
08-08-07, 08:01 PM
According to the maradmin.. I'm fine.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but theres a Marine I worked with that I encouraged to look into the Officer Program. He had tattoos of similar sizes on his forearms like yours, and the OSO told him no way.

But hey, when there's a will, there is a way.

It will be a LOT tougher for you than it is for people with no tattoos. But if you desire it that much, anything is possible.

Marine84
08-08-07, 08:23 PM
HAHAHA! I talked to this kid in a few PMs - I had no clue what they even meant. When he told me, I told him that the Navy may be interested in him. You got spunk kid, I'll give you that.

cytokin
08-09-07, 07:38 AM
Sorry - thanks for looking that up for me.

Thats how I was taking it. BTW dude, it only took me about 45 minutes of digging through my old posts to find the link...you're welcome.

;) I am a tattooed one as well, just a couple more than you, hehe. Goodluck.

jetdoc
08-09-07, 01:43 PM
Thats ok, just messing with ya.

So does it matter about the tattoos if you're going to be an Officer or Enlisted?

JCam0331
08-09-07, 03:22 PM
Yes. He can very likely get a waiver for enlistment for those tattoos. <br />
<br />
But to be an officer with such large tattoos it would require something just short of a miracle for a selection board to...

SlingerDun
08-09-07, 04:47 PM
Could anyone let me know if they think my tattoos will be a problem? I was interviewing a new client and asked why her former farrier was no longer working on her horses. Are your horses dangerous, ill mannered, any behavioral problems whatsoever? She said no, and he did good enough work but he had spider web tatoos on his elbows and crocodile tears squirtin from the corner of his eye. Assuming he had done penitentiary time, she fired him. Its not fair but fair is a word most Marines learn to quickly extract from their vocabulary when they agreed to play by somebody elses rules. Burn those tatoos off or join another club.

--->Dave