PDA

View Full Version : Americus natives work in Iraq

thedrifter
08-06-07, 03:20 PM
Americus natives work in Iraq

By Michael J. Ross
AMERICUS TIMES-RECORDER (AMERICUS, Ga.)

Several Americus natives are serving in civilian roles in Iraqi to support the U.S. military and make life better for the people of Iraq.

Tim Ammons, 35, is serving in Baghdad as a telecommunications technician in support of the Multi-national Force Iraq (MNF). He also worked in Kosovo from 1999-2004.

“The hardest part of being overseas is missing your family and friends. I am fortunate that I have a couple of my friends from home here but it is always hard leaving home to come back here,” explained Ammons via email.

“The hardest thing I have ever done in my life was leaving my wife and kids behind to come here. Ultimately that separation cost me my marriage. There is an extremely high divorce rate among private contractors and military personnel and that is really unfortunate but is a fact of life,” said Ammons.

He explained that the support of his friends and family has given him the strength to endure the trials and tribulations that come with working in foreign countries.

Ammons said he has grown to enjoy the simple things of life.

“It is always wonderful to get a phone call from family and friends, and it is like Christmas morning when you get a care package in the mail,” he said. “It's the small things that really help morale. Just knowing that someone is thinking of you when you are here is a tremendous help.”

Ammons said his mother reminds him often that Sumter County is constantly praying from its sons and daughters that are serving in Iraq or Afghanistan. “I would like to thank everyone for being so supportive of us over here and most importantly our troops who put their lives on the line every day to defend our way of life and freedom.”

Ammons is the son of Brenda Ammons of Americus and Jerry Ammons of Oglethorpe. He will come home in September for two weeks for a rest. He hopes to come home for good in April 2008.

Eddie Harper, 30, is a mechanic that maintains and repairs the Marines fleet of helicopters. He is the son of Billy and Jeanne Harper of Plains. He is currently stationed in the Al Anbar province.

“I enjoy the work I do. I get to help the Marines and help teach the newer ones about the aircraft,” said Harper. “It was hard the first six months I was here but after that it has been easier. I miss my family and just the everyday things people back home take for granted like spending time with friends, going out to eat at a restaurant or having the weekend off.”

Harper explained that he works 12 hours a day, seven days a week. He realizes that is difficult on his family not having him at home to assist with daily tasks, chores and business. He said sometimes he is sad that he has to miss out on family events like birthdays, weddings and holiday gatherings. If everything goes well, he will be home Christmas, he explained.

“I ask everyone back home to support the U.S. Military. Whether they agree or disagree with the war doesn't matter as long as they support the troops because they don't have a choice. This is their job. This is their career,” said Harper. “They get up every morning to defend the people back home so they can continue to go about their normal lives.”

Harper said the troops fight for the freedom of each of American, whether he or she supports the war or not.

“If people would like to send care packages to the Marines, go to the website www.anymarine.com.” Harper said he plans to work in Iraq about another year.

Ellie