PDA

View Full Version : Four fallen New York State Marines honored

thedrifter
08-06-07, 08:25 AM
Four fallen New York State Marines honored
Updated: 8/5/2007 5:28:07 PM
By: Jessica Mokhiber

ALBANY, N.Y, - Four fallen Marines - Captain John McKenna, Sergeant Michael Uvanni, Corporal Joseph Tremblay and Lance Corporal Mike Glover - gave the ultimate sacrifice fighting to freedom. All four lost their lives in Iraq.

US Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant Christopher Hale said, "All four of them are great guys. It's a tragic end, but it's the job we do and this is our way of honoring their sacrifice and their family's sacrifice."

Hale says Marines aren't accustomed to showing their emotions but this was a time for them to pay their respects. Hale served alongside McKenna, who was from Clifton Park. He was killed last summer in Fallujah.

"Capitain McKenna. I was his right hand man and working with him was a fine honor. He let you know right away we were friends. He always made you feel at ease. He was a prankster, and he will be missed. He was a great guy," said Hale.

Family members also had the chance to pay their respects to the fallen Marines. John McKenna was the only one from the Capital Region, and his family attended the service, saying the Marines support helps them get through the difficulty of losing a loved one.

John McKenna III said, "Both for my son and for Lance Corporal Mike Glover as well as the other two Marines, who were killed in an earlier deployment, it's certainly an honor to be here and have the Marines recognize John for what he did. Absolutely."

McKenna said he wants people to remember his son's humor, as well as his comradery with the Marines, who he truly felt were his brothers.

"People have asked me wasn't it terrible to have him die so far from home and I answer that it was really tough to lose him but he was with his family, his fellow Marines," said McKenna.

Ellie