PDA

View Full Version : Lose the Chest Hair

thedrifter
08-05-07, 10:23 AM
Lose the Chest Hair
Strategy Page

August 5, 2007: Once again, the U.S. Marine Corps has released updates for its rules on how marines must appear when on, and off, duty, and what they can wear. Most of these rules apply to appearance while on duty. For example, it's now officially OK for male marines to shave their heads. But Mohawks and other "unusual" styles are explicitly forbidden. Female marines must have hair that is at least a quarter of an inch long. Marines can only wear one wear one ring per hand, and you cannot put those hands into your pockets, no matter how cold it is. At least if you are on base. While in the field, that's another story. In fact, most of these regulations are ignored in the combat zone. Not a good idea to rag a guy about his appearance when he's carrying a loaded weapon and an aggressive attitude.

Marines are not allowed to drink and walk at the same time. At least not on base. Sideburns must be squared off, not coming to a point. Male marines may not have chest hair protruding from T-shirts. No dental bling (gold or silver caps, or precious stones) either. If it's permanent, then you can keep it if you already got it. But no new stuff allowed.

Off duty, female marines cannot show a bare midriff, or too much butt. No underwear as outerwear, and so on. This might be tough on recruiters. The Marine Corps appearance regulations are regularly updated to deal with changes in fashion.

Ellie

GySgtRet
08-05-07, 01:08 PM
General Conway is bringing back things the way they were when I was in from 73 - 93. It is not a shock at least to me it isn't. The Marines of today have been brought up differently because of the era but the Commandant is just brining back some of the old liberty and duty regulations.

:flag: :usmc:

Dave Coup
08-05-07, 01:10 PM
Nothing wrong with those in my opinion. Maybe I'm too old fashaioned/Corps.

SF

Dave

SkilletsUSMC
08-05-07, 01:48 PM
Except for shaved heads being in, none of these rules are different from even the day before. That being said shaved heads were still OK, even if technically out of regs.

Dave Coup
08-05-07, 02:17 PM
Good to see you back Skillets. SF

Dave

SkilletsUSMC
08-05-07, 02:50 PM
Good to see you back Skillets. SF

Dave

:beer: :beer: :beer: Good to be back!

Zulu 36
08-05-07, 04:56 PM
Except for shaved heads being in, none of these rules are different from even the day before. That being said shaved heads were still OK, even if technically out of regs.

Back in 1971, a shaved head was considered an "eccentric" haircut. In Motor T school, one of my classmates got a haircut and one of the corporal instructors got in his case about needing more of a haircut. My friend got mad and shaved his head in protest. The corporal ran him up for office hours.

The school CO was pretty cool about it. One of the sergeant instructors told the boss he saw the haircut before shaving and considered it well within regs (which it was). The CO told the young PFC not to do it again, told the corporal to lighten up, and that was end of it.

My XO in Vietnam was nearly naturally bald all over. He shaved what little he had left. Of course no one b*tched at him. :D

crate78
08-06-07, 08:11 AM
All of this reminds me of a story I once heard about two Air Force Lieutenants, one each male and female, who were found stark naked in the back seat of a car parked in a remote area of their base. Overly ambitious Air Police wrote them up for being out of uniform.

The two Lieutenants hired a sharp attorney, and when they appeared before the Provost Marshall, their attorney pointed out a clause in the uniform regulations under "Sports" which stated, "any attire is permissable if it is appropriate to the sport in which one is engaged".

The case was thrown out.

crate