PDA

View Full Version : R. Lee Ermey's home, memorabilia damaged by fire

Ed Palmer
08-05-07, 08:36 AM
Actor R. Lee Ermey's home, memorabilia damaged by fire
Valley Press on ^ | Saturday, August 4, 2007. | VERONICA ROCHA

Posted on 08/04/2007 5:56:41 PM PDT by BenLurkin

PALMDALE - Movie and military keepsakes were damaged when a fire broke out Friday inside a memorabilia room at actor R. Lee Ermey's Palmdale home, authorities said. Ermey, a retired Marine best known for hosting the History Channel series "Mail Call" and for portraying Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in Stanley Kubrick's 1987 Vietnam War drama "Full Metal Jacket," was away from home attending a charity event at the Camp Pendleton Marine base.

No one was injured in the fire that started just before 3 p.m.

"I don't know if I should tell my husband or wait until he comes back home," said Ermey's wife, Marianila.

Ermey said she and her granddaughter were inside the home when a neighbor knocked and told her smoke was coming out of the house. The neighbor had called 911.

Marianila Ermey said she grabbed her granddaughter and her dog and ran out of her home.

"I didn't know if I should grab clothes or what," she said.

The memorabilia room contained books, military items and a uniform Ermey wore in "Full Metal Jacket." The keepsakes seemed to sustain mostly smoke damage, she said.

She said the fire and smoke damage to the home and to her husband's memorabilia could top $300,000.

(Excerpt) Read more at avpress.com ...