PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the PLC

Jacob Mason
08-05-07, 02:05 AM
I have several friends at school (I am currently going into my Sophomore year in college) who are in the Platoon Leader Class. Our school is too small to have ROTC, so this is the best option for those who want to become Marine officers I believe. I have been considering this program because, well, being a Marine would be an awesome thing to do both personally and for my country.

Anyway, I know what is required during college, but I can't find any info on how long you are expected to serve after graduation. I do not have plans for a career yet, so I am not sure that I want to make a really long-term commitment at this point.

I know that technically I could probably do the program and avoid being in the service at all, but that would defeat the purpose. I am guessing that there is some sort of standard contract that the graduates of PLC enter into. Does anyone know about that? Thanks.

ammermda
08-05-07, 07:46 PM
There are several different types of contracts out there right now. The most common/standard is the same as enlisting. Upon acceptance of a commission, you will serve for four years active, followed by four years in the reserves. If you decide to stay in after your initial four years, you "career designate." Your service obligation becomes "indefinite." You do not re-enlist like the enlisted Marines do.

That is the basics. However, there are contracts out there now that will send you immediately to reserve status, and also some National Call to Service contracts that will garuantee a particular MOS.

Ask your friends in the PLC program and talk to an OSO.

JCam0331
08-05-07, 08:28 PM
I have several friends at school (I am currently going into my Sophomore year in college) who are in the Platoon Leader Class. Our school is too small to have ROTC, so this is the best option for those who want to become Marine officers I believe. I have been considering this program because, well, being a Marine would be an awesome thing to do both personally and for my country.

Anyway, I know what is required during college, but I can't find any info on how long you are expected to serve after graduation. I do not have plans for a career yet, so I am not sure that I want to make a really long-term commitment at this point.

I know that technically I could probably do the program and avoid being in the service at all, but that would defeat the purpose. I am guessing that there is some sort of standard contract that the graduates of PLC enter into. Does anyone know about that? Thanks.

I'm in the PLC program so feel free to PM me. I've got boatloads of time on my hands...and the Lieutenant may be pretty busy so I'll try to help you as much as I can.

Basically here's the deal:

Your commitment to the Officer Program:

When you put in the paperwork for the PLC program as a college sophomore, you will be attending the PLC Split program. Next summer you will attend 6 weeks of OCS called PLC Juniors, and the summer after that you will attend another 6 weeks of OCS called PLC Seniors.

Signing the paperwork is not much of an obligation. If you are selected by a selection board (and the process can be pretty competitive. I had a 260 PFT, 2.9 GPA, 6 letters of recommendation and prior enlisted service yet I was denied by the board. They selected me for next summer instead of this summer)

...As I was saying, if you are selected by the selection board (and the statistic that weighs the most is your PFT. A 250+ should make you safe for selection in most cases unless the board you went up for was ultra competitive like mine), you owe the Marine Corps 3 weeks of training.

Thats it. 3 weeks. Unlike an enlistment where once you sign the paperwork and arrive at boot camp, you're screwed for the next 4 years if you change your mind.

Not for Officer Candidates. Candidates at OCS for PLC Juniors owe the Corps 3 weeks of training. If after the initial 3 weeks you decide - this sucks. This isn't for me, I don't want to become a Marine Officer, then you can DOR (Drop on Request) and the Marine Corps will reimburse you all your travel expenses to go home.

Should you choose to DOR BEFORE the 3 week period is up, you're on your own. You will have to buy your own plane ticket home.

But assuming you're motivated and dedicated, and quitting is the last thing on your mind, then once you complete the 2x6 week sessions and graduate from college, you have to option to ACCEPT OR DECLINE your commission.

Should you accept your commission, you will be commissioned at a time and place of your choosing, coordinated with your OSO of course (Officer Selecrtion Officer, usually a Captain assisted by a Gunnery Sergeant) and you will ship to TBS at Quantico, Virginia.

Should you decide that there are better opportunities in life ahead of you - perhaps a corporation offered you a 6 figure job that you can't deny, then you can decline your commission. The only catch is that you are not allowed to claim you have successfully completed OCS, and once you DOR or refuse a commission, then you will never get a 2nd chance to become a Marine Officer.

Your MOS options:

Unlike an enlisted Marine, you have little influence on what MOS you are assigned to.

When you put forth your initial paperwork for the Officer Program, you have 4 choices:

1. Ground (Infantry Officer, Tank Officer, Artillery Officer, Adjutant, Supply Officer etc. etc.)
2. Air (Pilot of F/A-18, AV-8, AH-1W, CH-53, MH-22 etc etc.)
3. NFO (Naval Flight Officer, you do the same job as "Goose" in Top Gun, sitting in the backseat assisting the pilot with navigation and weapons)
4. Law (you need to be a college senior and accepted to Law School for this option. This will make you a Marine JAG - Judge Advocate General, essentially a military lawyer)

Air, NFO and Law are guaranteed. Which means once you are nabbed by the selection board with an Air, NFO or Law Contract, thats what you're going to do in the Marine Corps. But if you're dreaming of becoming a fighter pilot...well you better be a hotshot and kick some butt at Flight School, because the Marine Corps will put you where the needs of the Corps is...so you could end up flying a bloody CH-46 Chinook and hating life when you dreamed of being a Hornet pilot lol

NFO guarantees that you'll end up in a fighter plane. Whether the Hornet or the Harrier.

Law is just law...

As for Ground...thats what I went for because I want to be an 0302 (Infantry Officer). If you go ground, your MOS will be assigned to you at TBS (The Basic School) based on your class rank, the needs of the Corps and your personal preferences.

To make sure that talent is spread around and the best officers dont all end up in infantry, the order that the preferences are honored go by 1/3rds...the top guy in the first 1/3 picks first, the top guy in the 2nd 1/3 picks 2nd, and the top guy in the 3 1/3rd picks third...

So if you're the honor graduate at TBS you're guaranteed your job...otherwise, you might end up with your 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th choice...or end up with something you dont want at all.

Big reason why some people choose to stay enlisted instead of officer.

My finger hurt. Hope this helps if you have more questions ask.

Jacob Mason
08-11-07, 11:42 PM
Thanks so much. This is quite a lot of info and it is very helpful.

Thank you especially for describing MOS options. That is one aspect I was completely unaware of.

We had a couple of recruitment officers visit our campus last semester and they are likely to do so again this year, so I may ask them; or, if I have made up my mind by then, I could sign up then and there.

I am a pretty religious guy, and I have some praying and other thinking to do before making a decision like this. Having all the facts in front of me helps a lot though. There is also the question of how much my girlfriend would like this. "Hey, after we graduate I'm shipping off to six months of training and then overseas somewhere for a few years..." We'll see. I really would like to help my country though.

I had a great-uncle who enlisted on the marines at the beginning of Vietnam and eventually made his way up to Lieutenant-Colonel. He had some stories to tell, but I think that I would go for officer from the start even if I don't have a certain choice of my MOS.

Thanks again.

JCam0331
08-12-07, 08:21 PM
Ok bro -

1. They are not recruitment officers. They are called OSOs, which are Officer Selection Officers. In general my dealings with the OSO have been very pleasant. They do not pester you non-stop, they do not lie to you, and they do not pressure you in anyway. If you want to become a Marine Officer, they will show you the facts and you will have to prove to your OSO and the selection board that you are a qualified and competitive officer candidate.

They are not like enlisted recruiters. You will have to be proactive in communicating with your OSO, not the other way around.

2. I'm a lover of Jesus too. Pray to Him and he will guide you in the right path.

3. If you and your girlfriend are really serious about things, she can get an apartment up there with you at TBS. If you decide to get married, the USMC will pay you extra money (for a dependent) and a housing allowance to pay rent/mortgage (called BAH). All depends how much you love this girl.

Semper Fi bro