PDA

View Full Version : Commandant sets New Year’s deadline for MCMAP

thedrifter
08-04-07, 06:28 AM
Continental Marines from 1775 were known for their marksmanship and skill with the sword and bayonet, later Marines combined unarmed techniques with the bayonet for trench warfare during World War I and II and now the Corps implements the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program to prepare Marines for today’s battles.

Forty leathernecks stationed here are running out of time to earn their first belt, in this five-belt, martial arts system the Corps uses for combat conditioning.

According to the Commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. James T. Conway, every Marine must have their tan belt by Dec. 31, 2007. Marines and Sailors holding combat-oriented jobs will need their grey belt and infantry their green belt by the same deadline.

“I don’t remember putting on my green PT shorts and tennis shoes to run through the city of Fallujah when I was in Iraq,” said Sgt. Jerry Hymas, black belt instructor trainer for the MCMAP satellite school aboard Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay. “But I do remember having to carry one of my buddies two miles after he was hit by an IED. That’s where combat conditioning comes into play.”

MCMAP doesn’t just focus on physical, close-quarters combat. It also involves character training.

“We are not limited to physical training,” said Hymas. “We conduct classes on equal opportunity, [sexually transmitted diseases] and alcohol abuse.”

These topics not only give Marines tools to make informed decisions, but also accomplish Marine Corps annual training requirements.

“We also focus on the Marines’ mentality,” said Hymas. “During training there will be instruction on martial cultures like the Spartans, or warrior studies on Navy Cross or Medal of Honor recipients.

“It’s good for them to see the similarities between Marine Corps training and past martial cultures, and to hear past warrior stories and their heroics,” he added.

Many Marines continue to advance in MCMAP to learn to defend themselves.

“When Marines [come to the MCMAP facility] to train, it helps build their confidence,” said Sgt. Jason Bennett, black belt instructor trainer at MCBH. “We teach technique, not brute force, because we want to enable the smaller guys to gain a tactical advantage on their opponent.”

The instructors try to emphasize it is not sport fighting, such as Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) or Pride Fighting.

“MCMAP takes combat conditioning, the right mindset and warrior culture studies to specifically prepare Marines for war,” said Bennett.

Although a small percentage of Marines still haven’t started their initial MCMAP training, there will be many opportunities to remedy that problem.

There are 17 instructors here alone, and MCBH has many more. There are also opportunities to become an instructor through a three-week course held at the MCMAP satellite school.

Marines must be a noncommissioned officer, at least a gray belt, have a first-class physical fitness test score and a volunteer.

“It’s not an easy course, but Marines will have the chance to leave a belt higher and with an instructor stripe,” said Bennett.

Becoming an instructor is not required, but MCMAP training is for all Marines.

Hymas stated, “We want Marines to be ready for war, not just a PFT.”