PDA

View Full Version : Marine's Father Warns Of Possible Cancer Link

thedrifter
08-03-07, 08:02 AM
Marine's Father Warns Of Possible Cancer Link

POSTED: 11:53 am PDT August 2, 2007
UPDATED: 1:25 pm PDT August 2, 2007

OREGON CITY, Ore. -- The father of a local Marine who died of leukemia has stepped forward after hearing the story of a soldier's fight against cancer.

Andy Rounds, a 22-year-old Army soldier from Oregon, may have been exposed to depleted uranium, a substance that gives off low levels of radiation, when a munitions dump exploded on his Iraqi base. He's now fighting off an aggressive form of leukemia.

Rounds' treatment is not being covered by the military because he was not diagnosed until after he was out of the
Army.

When Steve Renner heard of Rounds' story, his heart ached. His son Eric Renner, an Oregon City Marine, died of a similar leukemia after his time in the military.

Steve Renner thinks his son was exposed to the depleted uranium, which is used by the military as plating on weapons because it allows ammo to penetrate armored vehicles.

When Renner visited his son at a military hospital in California, he said he discovered four other Marines in the same ward who were fighting the same cancer.

"I thought it was kind of strange," Renner said. "This is a bigger problem than anybody really knows."

The military admitted depleted uranium gives off low levels of radiation, but a spokesman from the Pentagon said those levels are harmless. The military also said it has done extensive research and found no connection between depleted uranium and leukemia.

The Renners said the Marines took good care of their son while he was sick and that they are worried that Rounds is not getting the same kind of care.

Renner hopes speaking out about the possible connection between depleted uranium and leukemia will help prevent more cases.

"Maybe there's no conclusive evidence, but based on what I've seen and what I've read that there is, there is some responsibility on the military's part and on the government's part," he said.

Ellie