PDA

View Full Version : Sergeant on third tour of Iraq, re-enlists in Marine Corps

thedrifter
08-03-07, 07:56 AM
Sergeant on third tour of Iraq, re-enlists in Marine Corps
By By Matt Cunningham

Staff Writer

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Editor's note: Sgt. Stephen Schlau has agreed to correspond periodically with The Pulse-Journal during his third tour of duty in Iraq.

Marine Sgt. Stephen Schlau, the 21-year old Lakota West graduate serving his third tour of duty in Iraq, has signed on to extend his service with the Marines.

"Well here is some new news for you. I re-enlisted," wrote Schlau in a July 18 e-mail. "I decided it would be the best choice for me."

Schlau wrote that he was given his choice of assignment, and that his fourth tour will see him serving in stateside duty.

"I chose Washington D.C. Marine Corps, Barracks Eighth, and I will hopefully be on the guard force. It will be a non-deployable job for four years," he wrote.

The Marine Barracks Washington is the oldest active post in the Marine Corps. Its Marines handle ceremonial, security and guard duties.

Schlau wrote that he hopes to include education in his fourth tour with the Marines.

"I will have enough time to pursue college in D.C. while still being financially stable with all benefits included," he wrote.

But Sgt. Schlau is not scheduled for a break from active duty until late in 2007. He wrote that the situation in his area of operations has improved, but that the rest of the war-torn country could be in much different shape.

"Things are getting better every day it seems," he wrote, but added, "I think you need to understand that just because one area of Iraq is doing well ... doesn't mean that another portion (Baghdad) isn't going through hell day in and day out."

Schlau is scheduled to return from his deployment in November.

Contact this reporter at (513) 755-5127 or mcunningham@coxohio.com.

Ellie