View Full Version : Getting Back to Basics:

thedrifter
08-03-07, 04:28 AM
Thursday, August 2, 2007
Getting Back to Basics:
1st Sgt. Perry Joins HH

Tia Bracey
Henderson Hall News

Serving as Headquarters Battalion, Henderson Hall’s Company First Sergeant for the past two weeks, 1st Sgt. Johnny L. Perry is ready to ‘‘get back to basics” with the Marines.

‘‘I am ready to act as an supportive element for the Marines in the [National Capital Region],” said Perry. ‘‘I want to reinforce customs and courtesies along with positive leadership.”

Perry insists that he is big on all matters pertaining to enlisted Marines including Professional Military Education and training. He is also avid about making Marines ‘‘competitive” and ‘‘promotable.”

Perry believes his various experiences and tours of duty will make this an easy billet for him to fill.

‘‘I have been with the air wing, division, marine logistics group... and have been able to experience different leadership styles and traits,” said Perry. ‘‘I have dealt with almost every type of situation that can be thrown at a first sergeant.”

Perry attributes his leadership savvy and the course of his career to his leaders.

‘‘I had good leaders,” said Perry. ‘‘They taught me well.”

Perry is dedicated to training Marines stationed in the National Capital Region so that they can get to where he is.

‘‘I must train Marines to eventually take my place,” said Perry.

All-in-all Perry is ‘‘glad” to be stationed at Henderson Hall. He looks forward to challenges and getting out and about to meet Marines throughout the National Capital Region.

‘‘I know someone of the Marines that are attached to Henderson Hall may be unable to come to me, so I will go to them,” said Perry.

First Sergeant Johnny L. Perry was born on June 3, 1969 in Petersburg, Va. After graduating from Columbia High School in Lake City, Fla. he joined the Marine Corps Dec. 6, 1988 and attended recruit training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, SC. Earlier in his Marine Corps career, Perry participated in Operation Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and Ground Combat operation in the Emirate of Kuwait. Perry has also served as a Drill Instructor and Senior Drill Instructor. Perry was meritoriously promoted to Gunnery Sergeant while serving at Officers’ Candidate School, Quantico, Va. In 2005 he was promoted to First Sergeant. He was deployed to Iraq in Feb. 2005 in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom where the mission was to provide mobile security to the Combat Logistics Patrols operating throughout the Al Anbar Province. He was re-deployed to Iraq in March 2006 and was attached to Combat Logistics Regiment 15, 1st Marine Logistics Group Forward, I Marine Expeditionary Force Forward, Al Taquaddam, Iraq. 1st Sgt. Perry’s personal decorations include: The Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with four gold stars in lieu of fifth award, the Combat Action Ribbon, the Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal, and the Drill Instructors Ribbon with one bronze star in lieu of second award. First Sergeant Perry has one son, Carter and enjoys traveling and watching football and basketball.

Ellie