PDA

View Full Version : Question about college while serving.

xdirufilth
08-02-07, 09:49 PM
So I want to start off with a little background on what I've done so far in this process to becoming a Marine.

I decided to call up my recruiter early July to let him know that I want to do this with my life. We sat down and talked with my dad, who retired about four years ago after 20 years of servive, and I let my recruiter know that even though I want to be a Marine, I would very much like to still go to college after I graduate high school. We set up a plan that I would join the reserves and be on the split program after I graduate from basic training; and go the PLC route early in college. I then soon after, DEP'd in July 10th.

It's barly been a month yet, but I've been much been set with that plan and haven't had second thoughts about it. I then just not more than a week ago, sat down and thought about it and realized that for me, reserves just wern't enough. It's was kind of a hard thought because I'm not going to abandon becoming a Marine, but just the same not abandon going to college.

In an ideal situation I would like to be on active duty and still be able to go to college and finish that out and go out for OCS soon after. but I don't know how difficult this is and how hard it would be for me to concentrate on my schooling at the start of my career, and I don't want to wait to long to start my classes and have a chance of distracting myself like i've seen happen to others.

But to get to the point, I would just like to hear everyones opinion and advice on the situation on either sticking to reserves with the split program which doesn't really reach out to me that much, but its I know for sure I'll get my school out of the way; Or going active duty and trying to juggle classes and work.

I apologize for any grammatical and spelling errors; as well as if any of this was confusing or unclear. I tried to explain it as well as I could.

JCam0331
08-04-07, 05:44 PM
Hey bro -

1. What college will you be attending?

2. Have you looked into the Naval ROTC (Marine Option) Route? As a midshipman in ROTC you will be receiving a lot more training than the average reservist (who hasnt deployed), and you may qualify for a scholarship worth up to $150,000 to cover your tuition, books and expenses.

3. You need to talk to an MOI (Marine Officer Instructor) about NROTC though, I'm not an authority on that subject but I can tell you what I know. If you want to talk about PLC feel free to PM me. I'm enrolled in PLC right now and will be shipping out to OCS under the PLC-Combined Program next summer.

Semper Fi and Ooorah.