PDA

View Full Version : Big Glasses

marinepooly1361
08-02-07, 11:51 AM
This is for anyone who wears/wore glasses through boot and while stationed.

I have contacts right now, and I already know that I wont be allowed to wear those in boot. I also know that they issue you those big ugly beer bottle glasses. So I'm wondering two things.

1: When they take your picture, the formal one with the hat and stuff, do you wear them, or can you take them off.

&&

2: Once your out of bootcamp can you wear your normal glasses/contacts or do you have to stick with the issued ones?

yellowwing
08-02-07, 12:19 PM
My Grad photo was without glasses. I wore non-issue glasses afterward. I was still accountable for the BCGs they did issue.

Its really a non-issue. Dig in and get ready for training. Study your knowledge and PT as much as you can. :evilgrin:

marinepooly1361
08-02-07, 12:24 PM
I wore non-issue glasses afterward.

Dig in and get ready for training. :evilgrin:

can you wear contacts if you bring them with you, or glasses only.

Ive been training. lots of running, ive been doing about 2 miles, and im trying to work up to 5.

yellowwing
08-02-07, 12:32 PM
I did wear contacts when I gained some rank and could afford them. That was way back when the soft contacts were new to the market. Personal Vanity is not a priority for the Corps.

Even if its a slow pace at first you can go farther than 2 miles. You will improve.

Zulu 36
08-02-07, 12:36 PM
can you wear contacts if you bring them with you, or glasses only.

Ive been training. lots of running, ive been doing about 2 miles, and im trying to work up to 5.

No, they won't let you wear contacts. Too much dust and dirt flying around with no time to clean. Birth Control Glasses for you. Nobody cares. Boot camp isn't a fashion show. Function, function, function, not beauty.

I would wear glasses to the depot and not contacts.

marinepooly1361
08-02-07, 12:37 PM
its not about vanity, I like contacts better because you dont lose your peripherial (sp?) vision.

thanks for your help yellowwing

rvillac2
08-02-07, 12:47 PM
When you're out of training, you can wear glasses that are not too outrageous when you're in uniform. Obviously, you can also wear contacts as well.

You'll always need to have your BCGs and a perhaps a good pair of prescription sunglasses for when you're in the field. Contacts will be a nuisance AND if you have to don your gas mask, you'll be in trouble. You will be issued prescription inserts for your gas mask and would end up wearing contacts looking through the inserts.

marinepooly1361
08-02-07, 12:52 PM
When you're out of training, you can wear glasses that are not too outrageous when you're in uniform. Obviously, you can also wear contacts as well.

prescription inserts for your gas mask and would end up wearing contacts looking through the inserts.

sweet. thanks man.

I was wondering about the gas masks too the other day, I just forgot about it. Thanks for telling me that.

DWG
08-02-07, 01:47 PM
I cannot imagine what being in the gas chamber would be like with contacts! YIKES!! The contacts would be gone as soon as you could rip them out of your eyes! If they didn't come flying out on their own!
:scared: :(

jetdoc
08-02-07, 01:54 PM
http://www.books4you.addr.com/nerd_glasses_eye_wear_glass.jpg

These are the newest kind they issue in bootcamp.....enjoy.

marinepooly1361
08-02-07, 01:58 PM
LMFAO

YESS!! i cant wait!! <<blantant sarcasm>> :D before anyone asks

DWG
08-02-07, 02:00 PM
http://www.books4you.addr.com/nerd_glasses_eye_wear_glass.jpg

These are the newest kind they issue in bootcamp.....enjoy.

I think those are a re-issue! They look just like the ones I got!

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-02-07, 04:45 PM
The last pair of glasses the Marine Corps gave to me were not the BCGs or flight line glasses. Instead they had gone to something a little more fashionable. I assume those are what you'll be given after boot camp.

But, when you're in the fleet you can wear contacts or your own glasses if you want. But, there are times (gas chamber) that wearing contacts would be a really poor idea.

Quinbo
08-02-07, 05:59 PM
I had a platoon Sergeant once that for years I thought he had two different color eyes. One brown one green. I finally asked and he had tinted contacts and had ripped one and replaced it with a clear one.

jetdoc
08-02-07, 08:47 PM
http://www.woodz-mag.com/cms_images/music/cd_check/ost_charliesangels/charlie_david_bowie_4.jpg

Bulk, you and David Bowie both have different colored eyes man!!

Quinbo
08-02-07, 10:28 PM
Yikes .... all I'd need is some mule teeth and we would be twins.
The military has improved the Superman frames on glasses and issues a not bad looking set these days. During my time if you were issued BC's then during inspections BC's is what you wore. The rest of the time it was up to you. There was a glasses set up with no arms but just a rubber brain strap favored by einsteins in the grunts.

Dig those fancy contacts on this one http://gallery.unofficialvindieselfanclub.net/screencaps/images/pitchblack/pdvd_078.jpg

jetdoc
08-03-07, 07:17 AM
Haha, mule teeth. His are not bad for being English or whatever he is.