PDA

View Full Version : Army Warrant Officer Candidate Program.

3077India
08-01-07, 09:48 PM
Well, I've decided to give it a go. Since I'm too OLD:( for my beloved Corps and I'm wanting to serve; I've decided to try the Army. A guy I work with in Roleplay, who is also former army, suggested that I look into the WO program rather than go enlisted. So I did; to be a WO in the Army you have to be at least 18, but not older than 46 (I'm 38), with a high school diploma or GED (I have my BA) and willingness to put up with 18 to 19 weeks of training. I'll have to pass an aptitude test and survive a background investigation as well as pass the MEPS physical.

At my age this isn't intended to be a career, but rather a means to another end, which in this case it's my desire to return to school and get my Masters in Psychology and eventually my Doctorate. Student loans would shackle me with a bill equal to a small house in the boonies and that is something I don't want to deal with.

At any rate, I'm talking to the recruiter again tomorrow, perhaps things can work out to my benefit. :p :nerd:

greensideout
08-01-07, 09:52 PM
As WO, what would be your speciality?

ssgtt32
08-01-07, 10:31 PM
Clay, go for it! BTW where is vernon parish in relation to me? I am in North Eastern La. right off of I-20

greensideout
08-01-07, 10:51 PM
I think that most WO's have a lot of experiance in their field. Was wondering what yours is?

3077India
08-01-07, 10:52 PM
As WO, what would be your speciality?That's one of the things I'm supposed to talk to the recruiter about tomorrow.

3077India
08-01-07, 10:56 PM
Clay, go for it! BTW where is vernon parish in relation to me? I am in North Eastern La. right off of I-20Go west on I-20 'til you get to Shreveport, then take US 171 south and drive about 100 miles or until you cross into Vernon Parish.

JCam0331
08-02-07, 08:10 AM
Be a Night Stalker !!!

160th SOAR - Night Stalkers Don't Quit !!

lol

Sgt Leprechaun
08-02-07, 01:58 PM
Hmmm.....truth be told that sounds kinda interesting. Do you already have to have a BA or is it based on experience?

JCam0331
08-02-07, 03:26 PM
Well, I've decided to give it a go. Since I'm too OLD:( for my beloved Corps and I'm wanting to serve; I've decided to try the Army. A guy I work with in Roleplay, who is also former army, suggested that I look into the WO program rather than go enlisted. So I did; to be a WO in the Army you have to be at least 18, but not older than 46 (I'm 38), with a high school diploma or GED (I have my BA) and willingness to put up with 18 to 19 weeks of training. I'll have to pass an aptitude test and survive a background investigation as well as pass the MEPS physical.

At my age this isn't intended to be a career, but rather a means to another end, which in this case it's my desire to return to school and get my Masters in Psychology and eventually my Doctorate. Student loans would shackle me with a bill equal to a small house in the boonies and that is something I don't want to deal with.

At any rate, I'm talking to the recruiter again tomorrow, perhaps things can work out to my benefit. :p :nerd:

wait, since you have your BA...why don't you look into the Army Officer Program? I'm sure there's an Army OSO in your area

3077India
08-02-07, 03:53 PM
wait, since you have your BA...why don't you look into the Army Officer Program? I'm sure there's an Army OSO in your areaIts funny you should mention that, because I just finished my face to face meeting with my recruiter and he told me I can get an age waiver for OCS. He's going to put me in contact with a Lt. who deals with recruiting officers. He didn't mention it before, because he wasn't sure I could get an age waiver, but since they need officers like crazy and I'm only 3 yrs older than the max age. He told me the person he talked to said I could get a waiver. According to him though I have to go army basic first, then my AIT, then put the paperwork in for OCS. To me that sounds strange,:confused: I'm going to ask some pertinent questions about that when I speak with that LT.

JCam0331
08-02-07, 06:37 PM
Its funny you should mention that, because I just finished my face to face meeting with my recruiter and he told me I can get an age waiver for OCS. He's going to put me in contact with a Lt. who deals with recruiting officers. He didn't mention it before, because he wasn't sure I could get an age waiver, but since they need officers like crazy and I'm only 3 yrs older than the max age. He told me the person he talked to said I could get a waiver. According to him though I have to go army basic first, then my AIT, then put the paperwork in for OCS. To me that sounds strange,:confused: I'm going to ask some pertinent questions about that when I speak with that LT.

whoa whoa what the heck? basic ---> AIT ---> OCS???

NEGATIVE SIR !!!

Don't let that sneaky recruiter try to screw you into enlistment !! You are a qualified potential officer candidate and you can to go straight to OCS.

I'm not extremely familiar with how the US Army works but I used to really really want to be an Army Ranger (a dream that is still in the back of my head even though now I am loyal to my branch of service and will continue on to become a Marine Officer)

but I spoke to an Army Captain and Major that runs an ROTC unit and they told me something about serving in the Guard and becoming an Officer at the same time...but that was for college students.

Since you're a grad...lol don't let him trick you into enlisting !!

Speak to an OSO ASAP...OSOs are not recruiters...they do a lot of the same things but they are not as pushy. For Marines its usually a Captain or a 1st Lt assisted by a Gunny...so I assume for the US Army it'll be a Captain or 1st Lt assisted by a SFC or MSGT/1SGT

speak to him and he should give you a no-bs assessment of your options.

I probably didn't help much but I hope I did a tiny bit

Semper Fi

JCam0331
08-02-07, 06:40 PM
Wait...at 38 years old, are you still capable of running a first class PFT? I'm sure that will go a long way towards getting your waiver.

And what MOS are you thinking of trying to get?

If you wanna be an 11A (the Army equivalent of the Marine 0302 Infantry Officer), it could be very physically demanding...and they would likely want to send you to the very grueling Army Ranger school if you wish to advance in the leadership ranks

3077India
08-02-07, 08:16 PM
Wait...at 38 years old, are you still capable of running a first class PFT? I'm sure that will go a long way towards getting your waiver.

And what MOS are you thinking of trying to get?

If you wanna be an 11A (the Army equivalent of the Marine 0302 Infantry Officer), it could be very physically demanding...and they would likely want to send you to the very grueling Army Ranger school if you wish to advance in the leadership ranksI've checked out the PFT requirements for the Army and I'll definately have get back into shape before I go. At the present I ride my bike 7 miles a day through hill country, but I'll have to trade that in for a good pair of running shoes.

3077India
08-02-07, 08:20 PM
whoa whoa what the heck? basic ---> AIT ---> OCS???

NEGATIVE SIR !!!

Don't let that sneaky recruiter try to screw you into enlistment !! You are a qualified potential officer candidate and you can to go straight to OCS.

I'm not extremely familiar with how the US Army works but I used to really really want to be an Army Ranger (a dream that is still in the back of my head even though now I am loyal to my branch of service and will continue on to become a Marine Officer)

but I spoke to an Army Captain and Major that runs an ROTC unit and they told me something about serving in the Guard and becoming an Officer at the same time...but that was for college students.

Since you're a grad...lol don't let him trick you into enlisting !!

Speak to an OSO ASAP...OSOs are not recruiters...they do a lot of the same things but they are not as pushy. For Marines its usually a Captain or a 1st Lt assisted by a Gunny...so I assume for the US Army it'll be a Captain or 1st Lt assisted by a SFC or MSGT/1SGT

speak to him and he should give you a no-bs assessment of your options.

I probably didn't help much but I hope I did a tiny bit

Semper FiI'm not gonna sign any papers until I know for sure. He is only a staff sgt so what does he know about become an officer. I'm planning to call him tomorrow and get the number for the LT and call myself, so I can get some straight answers. :confused: :evilgrin:

JCam0331
08-02-07, 09:25 PM
lol riding your bike 7 miles a day is good to go, it'll sure give you a good start.

theres this really really good site that helps candidates prepare for Marine OCS its called MarineOCS.com. I'm a member of that site, but I also think there is an ArmyOCS.com (actually I know there is)

so here it is

http://www.armyocs.com/portal/index.php

good luck man, I myself an very excited and enthusiastic about myself pursing a career leading American soldiers (generically speaking) so it always excites me when someone else is interested as well.

herykane
10-24-09, 07:36 AM
to what age will the Marine Corps waive before they say no??

Sgt Leprechaun
10-26-09, 09:21 PM
Your question needs further clarification and much better English composition.

In other words....HUH?

Lisa 23
10-26-09, 09:31 PM
WOW....up until herykane's post, this thread hasn't been posted in in a little over 2 years.
Why can't people start a new thread instead of bringing up an old one.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-26-09, 09:43 PM
LOL. Dunno. I didn't even look at the date. But if you can make sense of it........

Lisa 23
10-26-09, 09:49 PM
Sgt Leprechaun...that's why I suggested a new thread be started so we know what's being asked.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-26-09, 09:51 PM
So noted....

GREY MATTER
10-27-09, 02:18 AM

how many years did you serve? im sure you had the 8 year obligation, subtract that from your current age and that is the age the Marine Corps considers you. i came back in at 36...you are only 2 years older than i am

Lisa 23
10-27-09, 08:57 AM
GREY MATTER...you do realize the post you quoted is over 2 years old.

GREY MATTER
10-28-09, 02:32 AM
GREY MATTER...you do realize the post you quoted is over 2 years old.

i realized it after i made my post

herykane
06-24-11, 01:12 AM
thanks so much for the...hospitality Marines :) btw, BA in English here ;), not that it matters right?? guess my "short speak" wasn't understood. no need to clarify. a little research on my own garnered the answer i sought.

ps, guess i missed the etiquette class on posting in forums but oooh-rah

Isrowei
06-24-11, 05:58 AM
I wouldn't care how many rifle awards you said you had if I saw you repeatedly shooting the berm. It would only make me wonder what kind of outfit would give you a medal.

Your use of the English language is horrible. In two posts here you've made more mistakes than most middle-schoolers. You obviously have disregard for the basics of punctuation and capitalization. You might want to check on that degree and make sure it wasn't an internet special.

herykane
06-24-11, 06:25 AM
hey thanks so much for that wonderful incite, but as there will be no grade issued...ah well :) guess i'm not that rigid. must be that creative side of my brain thinking "outside the box." but i get it - for some people, this place is all they have, and i'm not knocking that so if it makes you feel good to grip about the grammer um, here, go right ahead!

guess that Marine camaraderie dies after a while huh - oooh-raaah

herykane
06-24-11, 08:26 AM
oops, that's "gripe" and "grammar" for all those who had the urge to correct that :)

good times :cool:

Tennessee Top
06-24-11, 09:19 AM
hey thanks so much for that wonderful incite, but as there will be no grade issued...ah well :) guess i'm not that rigid. must be that creative side of my brain thinking "outside the box." but i get it - for some people, this place is all they have, and i'm not knocking that so if it makes you feel good to grip about the grammer um, here, go right ahead!

guess that Marine camaraderie dies after a while huh - oooh-raaah

I would give a Naval Academy graduate the benefit of the doubt on this one. And, camaraderie has nothing to do with it; the captain is merely pointing out the obvious here. Just because this is an internet forum does not mean you should write like you're texting on your smartphone (very lazy by the way). In fact, if you will take the time to investigate, proper capitalization, punctuation, and spelling are all requirements of this website (you can find those site rules in the poolee hall if you're interested which I doubt). So, in a way, you are being issued a grade...and you are failing! That's not being rigid; that's just the way it is. You call it "thinking outside the box"; I call it being sloppy and lazy with your keyboard.

p.s., BS degree here (and I'm not too lazy to write like I have one).

herykane
06-24-11, 10:07 AM
education is education, but yes there are those who wouldn't agree - duly noted. boasting is beyond arrogant and something I choose not to do :) sorry, I just don't have the inclination to bandy words on what constitutes laziness in this extensive electronic network we call the internet :)

much respect to those who served, and those who continue to serve, and a special one to my fellow Marines because I'm definitely one who believes in the motto "Once a Marine, Always a Marine" and have nothing but love for those who were down in the dirt digging trenches with me. Rock on and remember..."work hard to play hard" :)

Sgt Leprechaun
06-24-11, 06:33 PM
I grow weary. And NO degree here. Then again, I've encountered plenty of folks with degrees who couldn't think inside a matchbox much less write coherently. Now, I give special dispensation to those who, for one reason or another in a previous generation, didn't need to complete school or couldn't, and the Marine Corps took them anyway. Those Marines get a 'pass'.

However, they don't claim to have degrees, either.....

The Cap'n is correct as is the MSgt. 'We' are supposed to set the example for the poolees/wannerbees who come here. 'We' start that by following our own rules.