PDA

View Full Version : Son just in, Now, I want back in.

scttyblldg
08-01-07, 04:08 PM
Got the call from PI at 0215 that my son arrived on Parris Island safely. I'm a former Marine and needless to say, I am damn proud of him. Over the years, I have always wanted to re-enter the Marine Reserves but never persued it. With my son entering the Corps, a new fire has ignited. Are there enough waivers out there for me to re-enter the Marines? I would love to serve alongside my son. Prior Service 4yrs, 0331, 38yrs, this has been buning in me for a while. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Semper Fi.:flag:

hump_drop
08-01-07, 04:10 PM
Yes. Contact your prior service recruiter and tell him what's up. Expect to do some leg work and for it to take some time, but it sounds possible.

hump_drop
08-01-07, 04:11 PM
http://www.marines.com/page/usmc.jsp?pageId=/page/Detail-XML-Conversion.jsp?pageName=Prior-Service&flashRedirect=true

scttyblldg
08-01-07, 04:14 PM
Thank you very much

hump_drop
08-01-07, 04:16 PM
No problem. Keep me posted. Good thing about prior service recruiters is you don't always HAVE to stay with the one closest to you. Contact local UMSCR unit and find out if they want you. Get them on your side early, and PM me if you have any trouble, I'll help find you a better prior service recruiter.

Semper Fi

scttyblldg
08-01-07, 04:34 PM
Called and left messg. with prior service recr. - Making calls tomorrow. Prior Serv. Recr. is located in Rochester NY - I am in Syracuse. My son asked me if I would look into this right before he flew out yesterday. Thanks again.
Semper Fi

Phantom Winger
08-02-07, 08:51 AM
I just went through this with unsat results. It took about a year and HQMC denied my waiver requests.:cry:

You'll probably need 2 waivers. One for your age (you must have 20 yrs service prior to age 56) and the other is a waiver for seperation over 3 yrs.

I started this in Jun of 06, had my physical in late Aug, packet was sent to HQMC in early Oct and I got the callback in early May 07. I'm bummed out about it but at least I have the satisfaction of an answer. Hope your efforts work out better!

scttyblldg
08-02-07, 10:16 PM
Sounds like a lot of work for a bum answer. I would think HQ or the recruiter could have told you all this before you went through all the motions. I spoke to the rec. today and told him all about it. He said it will be some work but, being a former grunt he wants to talk to the res. units up here in Syracuse and Rochester. One is a counter terrorist unit and the other is an LAV unit. He knows the first Sgt.'s at both units. Hoping for the best. ALso, I have not recv'd a call from the Island yet. I am so worried that my son will snap and want out. Although, I told him the first 2 weeks are the worst and that he should not even think about wasting even 1 day on the island. Take it all in and roll with it. I am damn proud of him.

3077India
08-02-07, 10:38 PM
Got the call from PI at 0215 that my son arrived on Parris Island safely. I'm a former Marine and needless to say, I am damn proud of him. Over the years, I have always wanted to re-enter the Marine Reserves but never persued it. With my son entering the Corps, a new fire has ignited. Are there enough waivers out there for me to re-enter the Marines? I would love to serve alongside my son. Prior Service 4yrs, 0331, 38yrs, this has been buning in me for a while. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Semper Fi.:flag:I spoke to a recruiter 2 weeks ago and he told me, if you're 32 and are prior service you can get back in. If you're older than that, you can pretty much forget it.:(

Phantom Winger
08-02-07, 10:44 PM
If you can find a unit that has a billet for you and is willing to work on your behalf thats a big plus. In the PSR's defense he did say it might be a longshot but you never know unless you try. Personally, going through the motions was still worth it - regardless of the outcome. Like 3077India stated, the Corps isn't hurting with recruiting these days.

Semper Fi

ErikHeiker
08-04-07, 05:57 PM
I'm so old the army wouldn't even take me! But it's an option for those who are 42 or younger. But with a total of 31 years, nine months and 27 days of military service, at least I rate a retirement check...when I turn 60.

1jarhead06
08-04-07, 06:56 PM
I`ve been trying for a while iam a 0311 an iam 38 was told 35 is the oldest there taking now an thats if your prior service Maine Corps.unless you have more than 4yrs in service than thats a different story.