PDA

View Full Version : Lawmakers come back upbeat after Iraq trip

thedrifter
08-01-07, 01:50 PM
Lawmakers come back upbeat after Iraq trip
By Amy Doolittle - Staff writer
Posted : Wednesday Aug 1, 2007 6:51:49 EDT

Two groups of Republican lawmakers who made quick trips to Iraq over the past two weeks say they went expecting disaster but came back encouraged.

“We thought we have a message that needs to be heard,” said Rep. John Carter, R-Texas. “We went over skeptical, but we were pleased to hear that soldiers from the top to the bottom are saying things are getting better.”

The representatives, who went in groups of five and six for two nights, each said they visited Marines and soldiers in Ramadi and Baghdad. Morale in both cities, they said, was high.

“We were left with one overwhelming fact, and that’s just how amazing the troops are,” Carter said. “We got a chance to visit with them. They’re like any other individual who would like to be home with their family, but without exception they said, ‘We think we can get this job done, we want to get this job done,’ and they’re confident that they can prevail.”

Rep. Michael Burgess, R-Texas, said even though the area has improved, there is still work to do.

“On the down side, the government is young, it’s being tasked with the rebuilding of their government in a very short period of time while they’re still …fighting a war,” he said. “All in all, I would say that I was much more upbeat than I would expect it to be. Yes, we are making some progress. Yes there are areas where more progress needs to be made.”

Still, Burgess said he felt safe walking through the market in Ramadi. Although he was accompanied by three soldiers during his market stroll and was wearing a flak jacket, he said he would’ve felt comfortable without any guards or gear.

“I guess [the protection is] necessary because I’m a member of Congress,” he said. “But in retrospect I almost wish I hadn’t had the protective gear on. We had a lot of kids coming up and talking to us and it would’ve made it a little more relaxed.”

Ellie