PDA

View Full Version : 22nd MEU departs on scheduled deployment

thedrifter
08-01-07, 01:22 PM
22nd MEU departs on scheduled deployment

BY JENNIFER HLAD
August 1, 2007 - 10:13AM
THE DAILY NEWS

As Marines and their families savored the last few minutes before separation, Lance Cpl. Trevor Ruoff sat on his sea bag, ready to go.

“I’m extremely excited,” Ruoff said. “The anticipation is absolutely killing me.”

He didn’t have to wait much longer. The 2,200-person 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit boarded ships Monday and Tuesday and will push off later this week for a scheduled deployment.

It is the first deployment for Sgt. Jorge Palatino, who will leave behind his wife, Maria, and 6-month-old daughter, Anna.

Tuesday, Maria Palatino said the family was “sort of in denial.”

It’s hard to fathom Jorge will be gone for roughly seven months, Maria Palatino said.

Lykke Morales — whose husband, Staff Sgt. Carlos Morales, left last week with the advance party — said she also is still in denial, and probably will be until the unit reaches the Middle East.

Though this is Carlos Morales’ second deployment, it is the first since the couple had identical twin boys.

“We’re going to miss him and worry about him until the day they’re back,” Lykke Morales said.

The unit is slated to travel through areas in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, working as a theater reserve and “911” force, said Capt. Clark Carpenter, public affairs officer for the MEU.

“We’ve trained for dozens of (types of) missions and are proficient at dozens of missions,” he said. “We are prepared to undertake any mission that is asked of us.”

The unit trained over the course of six months, giving the Marines and sailors a chance to ready themselves for a variety of tasks, but also proving frustrating for some service members and their families.

Ruoff said he was happy to finally be done with the training and get out to sea for the real deal.

“To the best of our ability, we’re ready,” he said.

Though Ruoff wants to “see the world” and calls the sunset as seen from the ship “the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen,” he also hopes the unit will serve some time in Iraq.
“I want to get it done,” he said. “I want to go.”

Ruoff is not alone in looking forward to his first deployment.

Cpl. Jesus Murillo said Tuesday he was excited to leave and not too worried about leaving his wife of a year and a half — though he quickly added he may become emotional as soon as he boarded the bus.

“I’m a little scared, but I’m also happy for him,” said his wife, Jessica Murillo. “I’m a little mad actually, because I know he will be having fun.”

Commander Bill ******on, the unit’s chaplain, has been deployed at least five times and said he was ready to get “rocking and rolling.”

“I don’t know that they get any easier,” he said, “But you are more prepared over time.”

For Sgt. Ezekiel Kitandwe, Tuesday felt like “just another day,” even though his sister had flown in from Uganda to see him off for his first deployment.

Kitandwe said he asked to deploy — even moving from a unit at New River to Camp Lejeune to be able to go overseas, he said.

“I just needed to get some sand in my boots,” he said.

Murillo said he also is happy to get his chance.

“Not getting deployed is like being the fat kid who never gets picked for dodge ball,” he said.

Contact Jennifer Hlad at jhlad@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, ext. 8449.

Ellie