PDA

View Full Version : Infantry

Costello
08-01-07, 12:35 PM
Alright, yet another MOS question but this one deals specifically with infantry. Which infantry job sees the most action and has the greatest chances for job advancement? Right now I'm leaning toward assaultman. I'm trying to get a security Forces contract but have to wait for a slot to open up. I'd really like to go Recon but I'm not getting my hopes up, but ill continue to work toward it

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-01-07, 02:49 PM
If you'll read you'll see that there is no way to gauge the rate at which you'll be promoted. It depends totally on what the needs of the Corps are when you are eligible for promotion. As for action- if you're infantry you'll see plenty. 0311 is what the Marine Corps is all about. If you aren't a rifleman your only mission in life is to support them in their mission. As an assaultman, that is what you are doing- helping the 0311s. As a machinegunner, tow gunner, mortarman, or anything else- you exist only to help the 0311s accomplish their mission. So, how you want to help them- or if you want to be one of them.

cdogg0311
08-01-07, 05:16 PM
Any job in the 03 field see's alot of action and advancement it all depends what you want to do in the 03 field. Do you want to play with the big guns and be a gunner for a gun truck or do you want to clear buildings. what ever job you do in the infantry just know your stuff because you can be a boot that knows alot and a jr lcpl and be a team leader over the lcpl that dont know crap. thats what happened to me when i was a jr lcpl i knew my trash and got the job over the senior lcpl's. I was an 0311 that saw alot of action then switched to an 0331. i love both jobs we are the back bone for the corps.

sparkie
08-01-07, 05:23 PM
Yea,,, The backbone is connected to the headbone... And all us bones. Good luck Marine.

PS-- I believe you make your own advances. Wherever you're at, Just keep your s**t together, and ready to travel.

sparkie
08-01-07, 05:26 PM
Yea,,, The backbone is connected to the headbone... And all us bones. Good luck.

PS-- I believe you make your own advances. Wherever you're at, Just keep your s**t together, and ready to travel.

Marine84
08-01-07, 10:01 PM
IYAOYAS!

Swing with the Wing Baby! The way I see it, grunts take care of the jobs that I wouldn't want and THEY'RE good at anyway, I had no problem taking care of a job THEY didn't want and I was BETTER at anyway................that's how the Big Green Machine works. The ONE thing that we ALL can do is SHOOT (although it was a crap shoot with some of us).

It doesn't really matter what you do - even Cooks have a purpose - Grunts LOVE food!

Sgt D
08-01-07, 10:07 PM
A Security Forces Contract will lower you chances of getting some action. Unless you are going reserves, your contract will say 0300. Your MOS will be decided at SOI. I recomend going for 0311. I am an 11 and after you learn how to be a rifleman you will start cross training with the other infantry MOS's.

chili77bowl
08-01-07, 10:09 PM
Hope for 0331, then pray for a spot in a CAAT platoon.

CAAT= Combined Anti-Armor Team

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-01-07, 10:55 PM
CAAT would be my choice as well. I was a radio operator with some TOW bubbas in the reserves. We had a great time, and you have a very small chance of having to man-pack your gear!

immaproshooter
08-03-07, 10:57 AM
well...if you want action stay away from security forces....lol...other then that go 03 and all you can do is hoped you get what ya wsant wether its 0311 0313 0321(try out that is) 0331 0341 0351 and 0352......the only one youll have a great chance of gettin if you request 0311

Costello
08-03-07, 08:49 PM
IYAOYAS!

Swing with the Wing Baby! The way I see it, grunts take care of the jobs that I wouldn't want and THEY'RE good at anyway, I had no problem taking care of a job THEY didn't want and I was BETTER at anyway................that's how the Big Green Machine works. The ONE thing that we ALL can do is SHOOT (although it was a crap shoot with some of us).

It doesn't really matter what you do - even Cooks have a purpose - Grunts LOVE food!

Actually, my original recruiter is a cook..and he's over in the giant sandbox right now

Costello
08-03-07, 08:53 PM
well...if you want action stay away from security forces....lol...other then that go 03 and all you can do is hoped you get what ya wsant wether its 0311 0313 0321(try out that is) 0331 0341 0351 and 0352......the only one youll have a great chance of gettin if you request 0311

And actually, they tried talking me into a Security Forces contract by saying I'd see a ton of action...guess they were wrong on that one..good thing I didn't listen huh? And I do plan on trying out for 0321, I've been working toward a 1st class PFT and all that other bs for over 2yrs now, I know it's slim to none that I'll actually get it, but you never know till you try right?

Marine84
08-03-07, 09:30 PM
Actually, my original recruiter is a cook..and he's over in the giant sandbox right now

my point exactly...........................and, if he ain't cookin', he's shootin'. They don't just take the Grunts, you know. You ship out a bunch of Grunts, ALLLLLLLLLLLL the a$$holes that it takes to support one - from the Cook to the Mechanic that has to work on trucks that keep the Grunts moving - have to go too.

SkilletsUSMC
08-04-07, 04:38 PM
0341 and 0352 consistantly have the lowest cutting scores. The future of the 0351 MOS is indoubt. There are rumors that it will no longer exist.

Id say 0311 and 0331 have a very slight higher chance of seeing action than the rest.

0321 is a whole different ball game.

JCam0331
08-04-07, 05:40 PM
And actually, they tried talking me into a Security Forces contract by saying I'd see a ton of action...guess they were wrong on that one..good thing I didn't listen huh? And I do plan on trying out for 0321, I've been working toward a 1st class PFT and all that other bs for over 2yrs now, I know it's slim to none that I'll actually get it, but you never know till you try right?

You've been "working toward" a first class PFT?

bro, you better be working "toward" a 300 !!

If you're under a 225, don't even think about it. You'll have a hard enough time at boot camp, let alone BRC.

However -
Keep running and keep lifting weights and aim high. Don't aim for the first class. If you want to be a Reconnaisance Marine you need to aim for a 300.

immaproshooter
08-04-07, 09:27 PM
i tell you what i cant run for **** but i can still get 225...its all about the pullups and crunches if you cant run the fastest make sure you can get 20 pullups and 100 crunches easily.......you can eventually build up your run time as you go as well...but the other two are the easiest to max out....

Costello
08-05-07, 09:41 AM
You've been "working toward" a first class PFT?

bro, you better be working "toward" a 300 !!

If you're under a 225, don't even think about it. You'll have a hard enough time at boot camp, let alone BRC.

However -
Keep running and keep lifting weights and aim high. Don't aim for the first class. If you want to be a Reconnaisance Marine you need to aim for a 300.

oops, wasn't thinking when i wrote that, I meant 300, don't know why the hell i put first class, I have a 270 right now, but that's with a Flak on. I've been doing everything flaked up so I can do better when it comes time to take it off.

immaproshooter
08-05-07, 09:49 AM
i tell you what everything ive done in training for the last two months has been while wearing a flak and sappys....now that im home it feels really weired i have been so use to wearin flak sappys duece gear kevlar and carrying a saw and A-Bag every where (also my 16 slung on my back) that i feel naked walkin around town since ive been home for two days now...

JCam0331
08-05-07, 02:06 PM
oops, wasn't thinking when i wrote that, I meant 300, don't know why the hell i put first class, I have a 270 right now, but that's with a Flak on. I've been doing everything flaked up so I can do better when it comes time to take it off.

270 with a flak on is very very solid.

I run a 260 in shorts and t-shirt so you'd kick my butt in a PFT

good job bro and keep working. There just might be a spot for you in a Reconnaisance Battalion one day.

Assaultman
08-26-07, 11:42 PM
A Security Forces Contract will lower you chances of getting some action. Unless you are going reserves, your contract will say 0300. Your MOS will be decided at SOI. I recomend going for 0311. I am an 11 and after you learn how to be a rifleman you will start cross training with the other infantry MOS's.

Umm no! I was in 1st FAST Co. before I was in 3/7! 3 deployments in 4 years and 2 of them were with FAST Co. My third was OIF with 3/7! As for MOS's, the infantry is just that! It shouldn't matter what your last 2 digits are! We all fight together D you know that! I am an 0351, and I got promoted quicker than alot of the guys who had to achieve lower cutting scores! Meaning no matter you're MOS, keep yourself squared away,PFT a 300, maintain an expert qual, and just be **** hot, and you'll be promoted! Security Forces or not. Alot of punks tried to F#%k with me when I arrived @ 3/7 as a senior corporal. Shut 'em down when I was faster and smarter with the knowledge drills, than the guys who were there before me. And no..11's don't fire SMAW's and Javelins, nor do they play with demo om a regular basis, so be careful with the cross training bit. They may stroke the tube or fire the 240, but thats it..at least in my experience!

Assaultman
08-26-07, 11:57 PM
0341 and 0352 consistantly have the lowest cutting scores. The future of the 0351 MOS is indoubt. There are rumors that it will no longer exist.

Id say 0311 and 0331 have a very slight higher chance of seeing action than the rest.

0321 is a whole different ball game.

I guess the next fire fight won't need rocket or mortar support. Assaults might be going away, but that doesn't mean that only the rifle platoons deploy and the weapons bubbas stay in the rear.Tell that to Cpl. Gibson, Lcpl Smith and Lcpl Valdez. All my juniors, all 51's and all KIA April '04! Think about what you're posting. 41's and 51's go on patrol right along with the 11's. IF YOU HAVEN'T PUT ROUNDS DOWN RANGE AT AN ENEMY COMBATANT, THEN WE DON'T NEED YOUR 2 CENTS!!!! Done ranting!!

chili77bowl
08-27-07, 01:17 AM
Umm no! I was in 1st FAST Co. before I was in 3/7!

See there is your problem...you are in 3/7. 3/4 and 1/7 is where it's at!
(just yankin y'er chain, bro....7th Marines rock!)

Sgt D
08-27-07, 03:46 AM
And no..11's don't fire SMAW's and Javelins, nor do they play with demo om a regular basis, so be careful with the cross training bit.

First, I think that you need to chill out and not be so defensive, your taking my post way out of context. Second, Many of the 11's I know (to include myself) have fired a SMAW, and have you ever heard of a "breacher" 0311's go through breachers courses. It primarily depends on the unit and the avalibility of the training.

Assaultman
08-27-07, 06:38 AM
First, I think that you need to chill out and not be so defensive, your taking my post way out of context. Second, Many of the 11's I know (to include myself) have fired a SMAW, and have you ever heard of a "breacher" 0311's go through breachers courses. It primarily depends on the unit and the avalibility of the training.

Of course I've heard of breachers. I was one at FAST as well as a DM and a range coach. All of that before 3/7. Sorry for the rant! I get damn defensive when it looks like someone's being misinformed. Hey D, you're not over on LS1tech are you?

rvillac2
08-27-07, 02:06 PM
Freakin 03 Sergeants! I love you guys.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-27-07, 04:29 PM
All I know is that I'm not the only one that has 29 Palms listed as their favorite duty station anymore- and that's kind of sad.

Sgt D
08-27-07, 11:16 PM
It's OK, I understand and feel the same way.

you're not over on LS1tech are you?
I don't know what that is.

Assaultman
08-28-07, 06:35 AM
It's OK, I understand and feel the same way.

I don't know what that is.

There's a dude over on that forum with the same screen name. Small world I guess. No hard feelings brother:cool: !

Semper Devil!

Assaultman
08-28-07, 06:37 AM
All I know is that I'm not the only one that has 29 Palms listed as their favorite duty station anymore- and that's kind of sad.

:) Yeah you kow you love the Palms:banana: ! Nothing like it:sick: !

BR34
08-28-07, 06:11 PM
Of course I've heard of breachers. I was one at FAST as well as a DM and a range coach. All of that before 3/7. Sorry for the rant! I get damn defensive when it looks like someone's being misinformed. Hey D, you're not over on LS1tech are you?
Did someone say LS1?

I'm there all the time. Me and my one-day-to-be 400hp Z. What you got Sgt?

*edit* Err...as you were, I'm on www.ls1.com/forums (http://www.ls1.com/forums) all the time. I get the two confused.

Assaultman
08-29-07, 07:12 AM
Did someone say LS1?

I'm there all the time. Me and my one-day-to-be 400hp Z. What you got Sgt?

*edit* Err...as you were, I'm on www.ls1.com/forums (http://www.ls1.com/forums) all the time. I get the two confused.

Go ahead and search me on there. My SN is Infantrymarine! Mods in my sig list!

Dave Coup
08-29-07, 08:49 AM
3/7/1 1969 Ooooh Rah!!!

imout
09-03-07, 06:38 PM
there changing many 0351 to 0352. If your your colored blind at all you cant be a 0352. 0331 and 0351 and 0341 due all the same training as a 0311 as well as there own specific mos weapons guys are very well rounded. 0341 tend to stay in cp since the tubes are there and dont really go out with 11 31 and 52's. the way it is now however most 31 41 and 52's are 11's since collaterel damage is a priority in country all are good for action but i would stick to the 11 31 and 51 jobs