PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen in boot?

nofx
07-31-07, 10:40 AM
Hello,
Is sunscreen permitted to be worn in bootcamp?

Thanks

Camper51
07-31-07, 10:43 AM
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, never heard of the stuff.......

fade2black
07-31-07, 10:48 AM
Sunscreen? What is this, the girl scouts? :)

Worsham
07-31-07, 01:24 PM
You will buy sunscreen on your PX run...whether they let you wear it or not is a different story. Alot of times it is up to you to take a quick second to inconspicuously put it on...that's how it went for me on P.I. last summer.

DWG
07-31-07, 02:18 PM
of course on Wednesday afternoons and all day Saturday when you have "pool time" you are allowed to use sunscreen. Just be careful not to get too much on your hands as this may cause you to drop your cold beer on the pool deck. The DIs get very, very upset by that! Remember to schedule this time as soon as you get to receiving; just ask the first NCO you see about it! They will be more than happy to help you fill out the required paperwork!
;) :thumbup:
:evilgrin:

SgtHMH
07-31-07, 02:42 PM
If you wear that stuff and get in the pit. The sand will stick to you and won't come off and the DIs will know you are wearing something and you will get bent for it for being a sand collector or what ever else. You will get the Boot Camp sun burn like everyone else.

Semper Fi

Worsham
07-31-07, 02:59 PM
Perhaps it was different for us...but we were encouraged to put it on...

You just didn't want to sit there and apply it like you were going to the beach or something...

For recruits who didn't wear it, when they got cooked real good....they'd get yelled at for not using it....especially very fairskinned recruits...i.e. white stripes for PT....

DWG
07-31-07, 03:54 PM
Perhaps it was different for us...but we were encouraged to put it on...

You just didn't want to sit there and apply it like you were going to the beach or something...

For recruits who didn't wear it, when they got cooked real good....they'd get yelled at for not using it....especially very fairskinned recruits...i.e. white stripes for PT....

Don't think he'll be in 4th BN. But they have changed a lot since I was there!:D

jetdoc
07-31-07, 04:09 PM
Don't think he'll be in 4th BN. But they have changed a lot since I was there!:D

I was over in 4th in June and I tell you I would put some sunscreen on the lady recruits fo-sho

:D

SgtHMH
07-31-07, 05:35 PM
Well think of it this way what ever you do you will be wrong and get bent.

Semper Fi

jetdoc
07-31-07, 05:42 PM
Sunscreen? What is this, the girl scouts? :)

Hey a sunburned recruit is an unhappy recruit.

:D

Marine84
07-31-07, 08:14 PM
I don't remember ever being instructed or encouraged to use it - we had that same farmer's tan that the guys get.

onux16
07-31-07, 09:12 PM
Almost every morning, you'll be rushed to the bathroom to brush your teeth and make head calls. That's probably the only time you'll get to put on sun screen. You can reapply whenever the platoon returns to the barracks for more headcalls, but you'll so focused on ensuring your bladder doesn't explode that sun screen will be low priority at that point.

Haffner
07-31-07, 09:34 PM
**** bootcamp was (yeah, I know, not LONG ago, but --) about a year and a half ago and I'm still sportin' my bootcamp farmer's tan. Wear it with pride!

TheBiggness
07-31-07, 10:30 PM
I could have sworn I read a thread on this subject a day or 2 ago by someone else. Am I going insane!?:D

Quinbo
07-31-07, 10:56 PM
I vaguely recall being issued sun screen. I think I left with a brand new bottle in my sea bag and time I got home there was a big wet stain on most of my stuff .... add that to the mangled can of foot powder and broken bottle of boot dye and wished I had thought ahead a little.

Many visits to the beach and the sweat alone made you into a sugar cookie. Can't imagine what sunscreen would have done. I think seniors can still take you round the world.

killerinstinct
08-01-07, 09:14 AM
sunscreen is overrated.. i had the stuff and it only made my head sweat and the **** would get in my eyes so i stopped wearing the ****. unless they made us put it on

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-01-07, 09:40 AM
We got a tube of the stuff with our initial PX issue. It was still unopened when I graduated. You don't have time to be on your own program. You'll be told what to do at every minute, and you won't have warning when things are going to change- so there is no time left to put on sunscreen.

jetdoc
08-01-07, 09:42 AM
The "chrome dome" will reflect all sunlight off of your body...don't worry, it will be ok.

Motorola07
08-02-07, 08:15 AM
To answer your questions. They give you sunscreen in your hygiene bag, and if the DI's let you use it, up to them.