PDA

View Full Version : Jerabeks prepare for race, another son's departure for Marine service

thedrifter
07-31-07, 09:24 AM
Posted July 31, 2007

Jerabeks prepare for race, another son's departure for Marine service

2nd annual race remembers fallen soldier

By Sara Boyd
sboyd2@greenbaypressgazette.com

HOBART — Although he's busy preparing for this year's Pfc. Ryan Jerabek, USMC Memorial Challenge, Ken Jerabek can't help but have his mind on other things.

Just two days after the second annual run, scheduled for Aug. 11, his youngest son Nick, 19, will leave for the Marine Corps Recruit Depot.

"He will be headed to boot camp in San Diego to become a Marine and follow in his brother's footsteps," Ken Jerabek said. "I'm giving this country my last son to serve this country."

Although Jerabek said they're a military family — eight members have served — watching another son leave will be an emotional time after losing Ryan in 2004.

"To know that my youngest is leaving … I'm scared, I really am," he said. "But that's what this run is all about. To support our troops."

The four-mile run is named after Ryan Jerabek, who was 18 when he was killed with 11 other Marines in an ambush in Ramadi, Iraq, on April 6, 2004.

During the ambush, Ryan was hit several times while trying to save his fellow soldiers, his father said. He was the youngest soldier from Wisconsin to be killed and the third youngest in the Iraq War.

Ryan was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat Valor, the Marines' fourth highest honor for bravery, and a Purple Heart.

Families from across the country will be coming to the all-day memorial event, including relatives of eight of the 11 other Marines who were killed on the same day as Jerabek.

Last year's run drew 1,200 people, far exceeding expectations, course director Sean Ryan said.

"There's definitely room for growth," he said. "I'm hoping for good weather and another year with a strong turnout."

The nonprofit event will benefit the Pulaski Community Education Foundation, the Injured Marines Semper Fi Fund and to Being There-Reaching Out, a support group for Wisconsin families of fallen soldiers.

Ken Jerabek said the loss of a son is never-ending, and so the family will continue to host the run as possible.

"It's just something we gotta do as a family," he said. "This run is just a part of what Ryan was."

Ellie