PDA

View Full Version : 31st MEU Marine receives Bronze Star for heroic achievement

thedrifter
07-31-07, 07:51 AM
31st MEU Marine receives Bronze Star for heroic achievement

By Cpl. Kamran Sadaghiani, 31st MEU

OKINAWA, Japan (July 30, 2007) -- In Greek mythology, heroism was typically an act of courage and the will for self-sacrifice in the face of danger or adversity, for some greater good.

In this day and age, the differences between classic and modern-day heroes can vary, but for Lance Cpl. Michael S. Rodriguez, a fire team leader with Company F, Battalion Landing Team 2nd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, many of his fellow Marines would say he personified the traditional definition.

Rodriguez, who joined the Marine Corps June 28, 2004, was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat Distinguishing Device here, July 26. Lt. Gen. Richard Zilmer, the III Marine Expeditionary Force commanding general presented him with the medal for his relentless efforts to extract a wounded friend from a New Ubaydi, Iraq, courtyard under heavy machinegun fire.

Medals don't replace friends, Rodriguez said after receiving the Bronze Star, referring to Cpl. John M. Longoria, the Marine he helped, who died later that day from his wounds.

Several of his fellow Marines, however, felt the award helps signify his valorous act during Operation Iraqi Freedom 04-06 in Anbar province, Iraq, Nov. 14, 2005.

During intense house-to-house fighting to clear New Ubaydi, five insurgents within fortified positions ambushed a Co. F fire team as they entered the enemy stronghold.

As Longoria, was struck by machinegun fire, the remainder of the fire team was forced out of the courtyard by overwhelming suppressing fire; when Rodriguez found out his friend was hit, he led his team through the onslaught to aid his friend.

“The Marines told me he was hit, and right then I kind of lost it,” Rodriguez recalled. “All I wanted to do was pull him out.”

His will and determination inspired his Marines to follow him through three successive attacks under increasingly heavy enemy fire to extract Longoria to safety.

“At first I thought he was dead, but I saw he was moving,” Rodriguez said. “He was in pretty bad shape, but there was still hope that he could make it, so I did all I could to try and get my friend out of there, because that’s what he would have done for me.”

“There was no time for emotions, either you act or you don’t, and he acted,” said Cpl. Thomas Latimer, a squad leader with F Co., who witnessed Rodriguez’ responsiveness to the situation. “He didn’t let anything stop him.”

Lieutenant Colonel Francis Donovan, the BLT 2/1 commanding officer agreed.

“There are many depictions of heroes in modern day culture, but in (Rodriguez’) situation, people were trying to kill him and the mental mindset to overcome that is with the training, skills, tactics, courage and the brotherly love for each other. All of that combined portrays Lance Corporal Rodriguez,” said Donovan.

Although unable to save Longoria’s life, Rodriguez recovered his composure and continued to assault with his team, the citation said.

“The whole situation (was unfavorable), but that’s war, it happens,” said the 22-year-old, a native of Visalia, Calif. “I wouldn’t have done anything different.”

Shortly after receiving the Bronze Star, Rodriguez reflected on his future plans of reenlisting and requesting to deploy for his second tour to Iraq.

Rodriguez said he wants to do this because he owes his service to those who gave all and to share the burden of war with them.

“(Pindar the poet) once said that war is sweet to those who haven't experienced war, which is true, but I’ve got to do my part,” said Rodriguez.

Although he joined the Corps to "be the best," Rodriguez said he shouldn't be recognized as a hero, for he was only doing his job. His commander thinks otherwise.

“Think about it, this is a young lance corporal, a team leader, who was in the Marine Corps for less than two years, leading a fire team in direct urban combat,” Donovan said. “He had the skill sets. When everyone was bunkering down, he was able to stand up, motivate his team, give them the tactical direction they needed and then lead by example – that right there is the warrior skill.

“He hit that true hero status, because what he did was not for personal gain, but for service to others,” Donovan added. “He was willing to (make a sacrifice).”

Rodriguez’s act of heroism is another example added to the list of moral paradigms, impressing a culture's ethical code, especially for those who once served and those who continue to serve.

Ellie