PDA

View Full Version : Caring women send cooling gifts to soldiers

thedrifter
07-31-07, 07:30 AM
Published: Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Caring women send cooling gifts to soldiers

Kristi O'Harran, Herald columnist

She's sent magazines, newspaper articles and homemade cookies to Iraq, but an Everett mother has found a cool way to support her favorite U.S. Marine.

Nancy Thurmond, 79, is making Corps Coolers, a refreshing scarf, to wrap around hot necks in the desert. They are ingenious and much appreciated.

Her son, Brig. Gen. James Kessler, said her recent shipment of 115 scarves was well received by the troops. He said temperatures have hit 120 degrees in the day, then cool to a mere 96 degrees at night.

Corps Coolers are about the size of an average man's belt, 36 inches long and 2 inches wide. The innards are a magic product I've never seen before.

The absorbent polymer crystals remind me of rock salt and are available at craft stores and nurseries. The crystals, when soaked in water, expand up to 400 times their original size. After they dry, they can be used again and again, unless they get too sweaty and dirty.

You know how those brisk desert hikes are.

Thurmond heard about the scarves from the American Legion in Mountlake Terrace. Her neighbor had a neckerchief and Thurmond made a pattern.

"I asked Jim if he had heard of them," Thurmond said. "He said he had one when he was based in Barstow, Calif., and loved it."

Her son asked them to be colored like the desert and Thurmond got busy sewing. She mentioned the project to craft buddies at Fairway Estates, a mobile home park. Some offered to sew. Some turned Corps Coolers inside out before stuffing. Some gave money.

Thurmond's neighbor and buddy, Flora Refling, 72, joined the project. She piped up at Cedar Cross United Methodist Church in Mill Creek and parishioners came onboard with busy hands and open wallets.

"Everyone in retirement wants something to do," Refling said. "Especially for the troops."

The day I visited the Thurmond home, her daughter-in-law, Debbi Kessler, was visiting and sewing scarves. Kessler lives at Camp Lejeune, N.C., and said her husband will be deployed for a year. They have lived all over the world during his 28 years with the Marines.

Her husband sent special kudos to his mother and sister, Colleen Jones, 51, of Arlington, who make Corps Coolers. I wrapped one around my menopausal neck and it really did feel refreshing. It was plump, like a garden hose, when fully expanded.

If you'd like to get involved, e-mail Nancy Thurmond at anthurmond@comcast.net.

The creators of the cooling scarves are only using sandy-colored muslin and each is sent with stapled instructions that state, "From a proud American mom."

The scarves can be made in about half an hour. I was impressed that these busy women give so much of their time. Refling raised four kids and volunteers at her church. She will go to Kenya soon on a church mission.

Thurmond and her daughter-in-law both give time to Navy relief agencies.

"I am very blessed to have Debbi at my side, and to have been raised by my mom," Kessler said. "They are both among the legions of unsung heroes in this war. We see so much support from Americans across the country, it really is heartwarming."

His mother, who retired from Fluke after 28 years, wears a cuff bracelet to support the troops. Inside the bracelet it reads "Until you return."

She has a stuffed pillow, made at Camp Lejeune, showing her son's image in uniform, propped by her bedroom door.

As she retires every night, she pats the pillow.

"Be safe," she says.

Columnist Kristi O'Harran: 425-339-3451 or oharran@heraldnet.com.

Ellie