PDA

View Full Version : Whats The Toughest Summit

SlingerDun
07-30-07, 11:10 PM
While on an 8 mile (Gut Maintenance) Hike today i was thinking about the hills of Pendleton. Most of them were no name mankillers like those in the NE towards Case Springs, the names i recall were: Old Smokey, 1st Sergeants Hill, and the notorious Mt. MF'er.

Smokey is a grinder of a hump that takes plenty of stamina, 1st Sergeants Hill looks imposing and although i was stationed near the base of it for some 5 months never had the sorry pleasure of ascending it. So for sheer vertically induced pain under a heavy load i'm leaning towards Mt. Mutha...It would be interesting to hear personal accounts of bonafide ass kickers at Pendelton, other bases or in foreign countrys that have indelibly carved positions into Grunt diary's.

--->Dave

maverickmarine
07-31-07, 06:16 AM
Oh, I remember those bad boys. But, Mt. Mutha is the only one I recoginize by name. We had a few though that would make you want to die like: the elevator, Recon Ridge and the freakin' microwave. These might be the same as what you listed just by other names but either way there is no doubt that they kick your butt.

Assaultman
08-17-07, 12:20 PM
We had one in the stumps called Cardiac..and for good reason!! It was rumored to be the place of where some old SSgt. had a heart attack, and died while on a hump over the summit!

DevilDogHEMech
08-18-07, 01:58 PM
Mt Fuji (Japan) kicked my butt worse than anything else for sure, but here on Camp Pendleton I think the worst is probably "Mt. MotherF'er", you guys are right about that one. I'm at the base of 1st Sgt's Hill right now up in San Mateo (same one SlingerDun mentioned?), and that one is pretty tough too.

sparkie
08-18-07, 02:00 PM
I remember some twin peaks in Japan that were hard to mount,,,, ;]

SlingerDun
08-18-07, 10:33 PM
Git er Dun:thumbup:

LeonardLawrence
09-01-07, 04:00 AM
Training in the hilltops of Korea. Why did we go up the moutain and not around....because it was there.

Suprisingly warm for the month of December with Utilities and goretex jacket only,....but that hill seemed like it was never going to end.

Intimately familiar with Cardiac and "sugar cookie" as well. :cry:

hawks
09-01-07, 10:57 PM
How are these hills compared to the Grim Reaper, or is the Grim Reaper just a mini hill compared to these summits?

LeonardLawrence
09-02-07, 01:50 AM
Cardiac was very similar to the Reaper.

It was a good stretch and the big difference was that instead of packed sand, it was loose sand that one seemed like they could never gain headway in. Also with the terrain it seemed like it went on forever. You got to what appeared to be the top and it kept going.

Sugar cookie was just a loose hill top overlooking a small LZ in 29 Palms. You took one step and sank and just kept the feet moving to try and take another.

To be quite honest, I would prefer the reaper anyday.

:beer:

Quinbo
09-03-07, 01:57 PM
Going from San Meteo to San Onefre boots and utes with a light pack the gunny would yell.... look to your left .... fall out and that is where we will be going on the return trip you and I. We occasionally ran to San Onefres O course ... did that then ran back. Glad I never fell out cause the gunny wasn't kidding.

SlingerDun
09-04-07, 03:49 PM
Poolees: dont fear these hills they are nothing more than overgrown piles of dirt, rock, brush and sand. But they do bite and kick so be aware they exist as you may have to hump them and that takes conditioning so be prepared, always. Marine land navigators says there are no mountains only hills but i can easily disagree with that. There's Mountains in my backforty that use hills as a foot rest.

Its a great feeling when you summit an asskicker and get your wind back but stay focused for the descent. This is when most of us thinking the worst of it is over, get sloppy.

I heard a HEADS UP! just in time to dodge a 200lb green tumbleweed bowling down Mt. Mutha. That big helmuted gunsel made a violent ruckus crashing and banging, kicking up dust as he mowed down 2 fireteams before he stalled out. Word was had his poncho not worked loose and popped open like a parachute brake, he might have picked up the Chief D.I. and Series Commander for a strike! but thats just scuttlebutt.http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

--->Dave

jebollenbach
09-04-07, 04:02 PM
I believe 9494 at Bridgeport is the worst one I have been up.

hump_drop
03-25-08, 03:38 PM
I believe 9494 at Bridgeport is the worst one I have been up.

I completely agree, and sad to say that I am headed back there this year.

E5NAMKROW
03-25-08, 05:31 PM
I Hated Mt Mother..., And 9494. Both Were Worse At The Time I Was Humpin Them, But Mount Mother Remains My All Time Favorite One To Hate.

FistFu68
03-25-08, 05:46 PM
:evilgrin: THE MATTERHORN,IN THE ITALIAN-SWISS ALP'S WAS QUITE STRENUOUS :D :iwo:

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-26-08, 06:56 AM
Summit Pale Ale.

Pretty much any mountain in Camp Pendelton that the Master Sergeant would take us through, that really didn't have all that much of a path, was painful. For sure though Mt. MFKR was a beast. A beast i hope i never meet again.

darkgreen0311
03-26-08, 08:56 AM
I was stationed at San Mateo Bravo Co 1/7 for 4 years and humped alot of them. I can't remember all the names but Casey springs was one and Mt Motherf***er is a legend.

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE

SlingerDun
03-26-08, 06:33 PM
Bravo Co 1/7Ooorah pard

--->Dave

usmchauer
03-26-08, 07:21 PM
Fortunately I had never had to hike it, but running to the benchmark in San Mateo was always a ball breaker. The last 30-40 yards of it were the absolute worst. With hiking I always seemed to have a harder time going downhill than uphill. Going up, you can just grind it out and push your body. Coming back down, I always felt one step away from a broken ankle or goin' over the rail. Anybody else out there a freak like me?

SlingerDun
03-26-08, 07:25 PM
Fortunately I had never had to hike it, but running to the benchmark in San Mateo was always a ball breaker. The last 30-40 yards of it were the absolute worst.A USGS bench marker at the summit? what was the altitude engraved on it.

usmchauer
03-26-08, 08:15 PM
A USGS bench marker at the summit? what was the altitude engraved on it.

That's a good question - it seems vaguely familiar that there was a small concrete podium-like thing at the top, with maybe a plaque or some numbers on it, but I'm not about to go find out exactly what it said. :D

darkgreen0311
03-26-08, 08:30 PM
Do any of you remember seeing any Mountain Lions at Pendelton i remember seeing one at San Onofre at Infantry Training School.

YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!

SlingerDun
03-26-08, 08:54 PM
Do any of you remember seeing any Mountain Lions at Pendelton i remember seeing one at San Onofre at Infantry Training School.

YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!I saw scat in the middle of Basilone road and tracks in the mud and more scat on the trails at Case springs but never saw a live one. I doubt they ambushed Bison, maybe sheep and illegals. Heres a couple of stories from Marines who claimed to have seen Sasquatch on the high benches above Onofre:scared:

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=2816

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=2907

Desert Rat
04-10-08, 08:04 PM
While on an 8 mile (Gut Maintenance) Hike today i was thinking about the hills of Pendleton. Most of them were no name mankillers like those in the NE towards Case Springs, the names i recall were: Old Smokey, 1st Sergeants Hill, and the notorious Mt. MF'er.

Smokey is a grinder of a hump that takes plenty of stamina, 1st Sergeants Hill looks imposing and although i was stationed near the base of it for some 5 months never had the sorry pleasure of ascending it. So for sheer vertically induced pain under a heavy load i'm leaning towards Mt. Mutha...It would be interesting to hear personal accounts of bonafide ass kickers at Pendelton, other bases or in foreign countrys that have indelibly carved positions into Grunt diary's.

--->Dave

When I was there in '55 The two bad hlls were Little Aggie and Big Aggie and I clearly remember duck walking up to the tops with the seabag on my shoulders.
Semper Fi
Wally

SlingerDun
04-10-08, 08:45 PM
Devils Rest in the Columbia River Gorge is a steep, rocky, muddy mess and my current nemesis. I gotta quit smoking.

--->Dave

sgt tony
04-10-08, 10:30 PM
7 steps to heaven PI and Old mount Mother

Coachgun
04-12-08, 02:19 PM
there was a hill over by las pulgas call little suribachi that was a fun run and one by camp horno called the microwave

silverdollar
05-11-08, 09:41 AM
The only hill that I remember from Pendelton was Nellies tit.

JMartinez
06-12-08, 03:12 PM
Mount Mother Fker and Sawback on Okinawa are the worst ones that I had the pleasure of humping. I still think Mount Mother Fker is the worst. Mt Fuji is also an ass kicker.

Backblast
06-13-08, 07:25 AM
I thought "Iron Mike" in front of SOI was pretty tough. I hated doing ridge runs. And "Mt. Mother Fkr" was no joke either. I said "Mother Fkr" all the way to the top.

coffeejoejava
10-09-08, 11:25 AM
I haven't thought of that nasty b***h, Mt MF'er, in years. I remember humping that nasty beast every day while in MCT. Then the hump from 52 area to Range 16 (?) at the base of her. There you got to meet B***h Rdge and then the worst of them all. Although I have memories of Microwave, Cardiac, and all the other nameless "hill" we humped in Pendleton.

I once ran the Grim Reaper when I was with Force. Didn't realize it until I about died near the top!!

Pete0331
10-09-08, 01:22 PM
Off the top of my head: Old Smokey, Iron Mike, Recon, and the Ankle Breaker.

Quinbo
11-03-11, 11:26 PM
7 steps to heaven PI and Old mount Mother

I forgot about 7 steps .... you hump that and every step you feel like you are gonna freakin die. Little philipino ladies in sandles humping giant coolers full of soda and ice to sell you on breaks. Pretty humbling when an old lady is out humping you while carring a 100 lb cooler :banana:

Phantom Blooper
11-04-11, 05:41 AM
The "Beer Summit" at the White House.:beer:

SlingerDun
11-04-11, 01:48 PM
Yeah, he serves up light beer :evilgrin: can you imagine

doc h fmf
11-05-11, 07:11 AM
Seven Steps To Heaven Pi
Mount Mother F

Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

rchrdharris
11-05-11, 07:46 AM
The beast I remember at Pendleton back in '67 was called "Sheep S___."

TwoBravo
11-29-11, 06:36 PM
O, I remember Sheep S***. it was behind B/1/7. Every time we went to out we walked over it. That was 1962/63.