PDA

View Full Version : Marine Expeditionary Units

hamilton4814
07-30-07, 07:47 PM
First off i'd like to say this is my first post on here, My name is Tyler and I've been a member for a couple of weeks and have learned a great deal of information on this site. I'd also like to thank all of the Marines on here for taking time out of the day to come on here and answer questions, and more importantly for serving our country!

Now on to my question, I did a couple of searches on Google and this site, but i just can't seem to find any information pertaining to how exactly Marines get selected to be in a MEU? Or are you just assigned there after bootcamp based on your MOS?

And just for the record, i'm currently not a Poolee because my parents are still a bit nervous about the whole thing... but i should hopefully be DEP'ing in pretty soon.

Thanks in advance for any responses. :evilgrin:

hamilton4814
07-30-07, 08:04 PM
hmm well i think i've found that they are only put togethor as like an invasion force? And after they are used they sorta go away except for the command? If this is the case... still how are Marines selected to do this? I'm pretty hardcore confused a bout the whole thing :-x

Sgt D
07-30-07, 08:07 PM
It is pretty much just the luck of the draw. Duty station and unit will be the vital factor.

Sgt D
07-30-07, 08:08 PM
hmm well i think i've found that they are only put togethor as like an invasion force? And after they are used they sorta go away except for the command?

No. Units are attached and rotate with other units.

SkilletsUSMC
07-30-07, 08:51 PM
Here is the "short" awnser.

A MEU is a a MAGTF (Marine air ground task force). Its basicly a combination of an Infantry Battalion, artillery battery, a Force Recon and Recon platoon, Helocopter squadron(s) Harrier squadron, Support Battalion, and command element, all attached to a ESG(Navy battle group).

A MEU isnt something you sign up for or have to pass a screening to become a part of. Its a rotation and if its your units turn then you will become attached to a MEU.

Once your MEU is formed, your unit will undergo training to become Special operations capable, hence the term MEU(SOC). After you are underway, you may cut squares in the ocean waiting for some action, or you may go to Iraq, where your Infantry Battalion will likely leave the MEU, or the whole MEU will off load in Iraq, and assume responsibilty for an AO(Area of Operations).

The Point of a MEU(SOC) is to have a Contingent of Marines who are highly capable and can have boots on the deck kicking ass in UNDER 96 hours.

My advice if you want to be with a MEU is to go infantry. There are alot of MOSs that may be non deployable, but a Grunt Battalion will ALWAYS be deployable, and will pump out on a MEU at one point or another.

Marine84
07-30-07, 08:52 PM
I'm tellin' ya'll....................Some S1 guy throws darts at a revolving board!

rvillac2
07-30-07, 11:49 PM
Skillets post was right on but I wanted to add my 2 cents. ; )

For many years (decades), the MEU has been the tip of the spear of America's projection of force. The Marine Expeditionary Unit is a lightly armed, highly mobile, and rapidly deployable unit. It is a combination of combat arms units that are supported by logistics units and are transported around by naval and Marine aviation units.

When you hear of someone calling us "America's 911" they are talking about the MEU. If the president needed a combat force on the ground anywhere in the world, the MEU would get the call. Our enemies would very quickly see several gray ships off their coast and Marine air leaping towards their shoreline. The principal quality of the MEU was that in one package, we could have an Infantry battlion:
speerheaded by a recon platoon
supported by a scout/sniper squad
transported by Amtraks
supported by a weapons section
supported by an artillery battery
supported by a tank company
supported by a harrier squadron
flown by a medium/heavy helo squadron
supported by a supply train (beans, bullets, and gas)
and held together by a command element that includes Intel and Comm.

All of this crated onto a half dozen naval ships ready to deploy anywhere in the world. The Army does not have a unit that can deploy as fast with as much firepower and logistical staying power as the MEU.

(I don't think I'm saying anything that isn't available on the internet.)

There are six MEUs, 3 based on each coast. One is always deployed, one is training to be deployed, and one is either standing down or preparing to spin up for deployment. A great variety of MOS's are required on the MEU but your chance of being on one depends on which MOS you have. As Skillets said, since there are more grunts than anything, being a grunt makes you most likely to get on one. While there are fewer weapons, arty and armor guys, there is a great chance that you'll be on one before your first contract is up. Other common MOS's that will get on the MEU is supply, communications, and Motor T. As was said before, it depends on your job and your unit. If you happen to join a company that just deployed, that company may not deploy again (on a MEU) for a couple of years.

And to address your "invasion" comment. The Regimental Combat Team is the maneuver unit during an invasion. For OIF, the entire 1st Marine Division made up of 3 RCTs kicked ass all the way up to Bagdad. Each RCT was like 5-6 MEUs.

I love talking about this stuff. ; )

Sgt D
07-31-07, 03:46 AM
Skillets post was right on but I wanted to add my 2 cents. ; )
There are six MEUs, 3 based on each coast.

You forgot about the 31st MEU in Oki.

hamilton4814
07-31-07, 06:25 PM
Thanks for everyones answers, verryy informative! :beer:

And yes i tried to do some research on the internet and found information about the actual MEU, although i think rivillac2 and skillets answers made more since! My question was specifically about how you were selected for it, which I couldnt find on the internet, and you guys definatly answered that! so thanks alot! (I know how ****ed u guys get at ppl who asked dumb questions you could find asnwers to in 3 minutes on google)

mucho
08-01-07, 10:00 AM
You forgot about the 31st MEU in Oki.
you mean the 30 worst meu? lol i was on that with BLT 2/5 with echo co alittle over a year ago