PDA

View Full Version : Fake Marine must work at military cemetery

thedrifter
07-30-07, 06:15 PM
Fake Marine must work at military cemetery

Last updated July 30, 2007 3:09 p.m. PT

By MIKE BARBER
P-I REPORTER

A Puyallup man who posed as a decorated Marine veteran of the Vietnam war must now spend his time tending the graves of real veterans.

A U.S. magistrate in Tacoma on Monday ordered Reggie L. Buddle, 59, to work 500 hours of community service by working at Tahoma National Cemetery in Kent. Buddle had pleaded guilty to unlawfully wearing military medals and decorations. Buddle acknowledged posing as a decorated Marine captain. He never served in the Marines nor won the medals he wore, including the Distinguished Service Medal, a presidential unit citation for heroism in combat and a medal for serving in Vietnam.

He also posed as a Marine chaplain and presided at weddings, baptisms and funerals. Among other things, he gave an opening prayer before the state Senate in February 2006.

P-I reporter Mike Barber can be reached at 206-448-8018 or mikebarber@seattlepi.com.

Ellie

Sgt Jim
07-30-07, 08:51 PM
Maggot!!!!!!

ebcole
07-30-07, 10:25 PM
We have job opens in Iraq. If he wants to be a Marine so bad lets see if he can earn it. So instead of tending our honored dead, lets start with Parris Island, then a short training period in 29 Stumps. Then lets see what kind of Marine he is!!!

yanacek
07-31-07, 03:53 AM
Here's a good link on this fraud. It provides photos and details of his escapades as a "Chaplain." http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies276.htm

thedrifter
07-31-07, 06:45 AM
Fake chaplain sentenced, gives apology

THE NEWS TRIBUNE
Last updated: July 31st, 2007 01:19 AM (PDT)
A Puyallup man who passed himself off as a U.S. Marine Corps chaplain even though he never served in the Marines and was never ordained as a chaplain was sentenced in federal court Monday to two years probation and 500 hours of community service.

Magistrate Judge Kelly Arnold ordered that Reggie L. Buddle, 59, serve his community service tending graves and performing other chores at Tahoma Military Cemetery in Kent, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Buddle pleaded guilty in April to one misdemeanor count of unlawfully wearing U.S. military medals and decorations. He admitted to wearing a Marine Corps uniform and donning medals he’d never earned, including the Defense Distinguished Service Medal and the Presidential Unit Citation.

Buddle reportedly performed numerous weddings and funeral services and gave a prayer at the opening ceremony of the state Legislature in 2006.

Buddle, who served in the Army in the 1960s, apologized at his sentencing hearing in Tacoma and told Arnold he was ashamed of his crime, according to the news release.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Ron Friedman told Arnold that Buddle had to move to a new home after news of his deception broke in the news media.

“Mr. Buddle has been appropriately made to answer before a great many people, and he has been shunned by a great many others,” Friedman said in a sentencing memorandum.
Adam Lynn, The News Tribune

Originally published: July 31st, 2007 01:19 AM (PDT)

Ellie

jetdawgg
07-31-07, 11:24 AM
I wear size 11 USMC boots. I wonder how they would fit on his face:mad: ?

Eric Hood
08-01-07, 11:52 AM
:usmc: What I don't get is, how come people don't catch on? He was working out of a recruiting office?
Eric