PDA

View Full Version : GOING BACK to the corps advice!!!

jarhead-0311
07-30-07, 03:33 PM
I got out of the marine corps in july of 03 as a cpl. with the mos 0311 RE-ENTRY CODE OF RE-1A...no real reason for getting out but wanting to try out civilian life....I graduated the police academy and passed the state test for law enforcement I am almost done with the hiring process for the sheriff's dept...But it has not filled the void I miss the corps...so after alot of disccusions with my wife she has agreed to let me go back to the marines........Two thursdays ago I spoke with the recruiting office in my town were I 1st. joined ,the staff sgt. told me to come by the office that friday and he would get my paper work going so I could go to meps. I went that firday an he made copies of my dd-214 forms, marriage certificate, ect. ect. ect. He then told me that he would call me the next monday but he never did call I did not hear from him on tuesday either so I gave him call on wendsday he apologized for not calling me and said the office was a mad house ..He told me to go by the office the next day at 1500 which I did and to my surprise he was not there and the offices were closed !!!...I gave the staff sgt. a call and left him a message telling him that I know he probablly got cought up doing something and to give me a call back so we could get my paperwork done so i could go to meps .....It's allready monday and i have not heard from him....I went to the marine corps website and got the number for the closest prior service recruiter which is in a city about 1 hr. away...My question is should i forget about the staff sgt. and go ahead and call the psr ???....i fell like he does not want to deal with the extra paper work for a prior service marine and waivers he said I would need one because i have 4 dependents including myself...anyway any advice and suggestions welcomed I just want the fastest way back to the Corps!!!

9yearcontract
07-30-07, 03:51 PM
One reason that you are having a hard time with a recruiter is because you do not count as a quota. The recruiter does not get anything for getting you back in the Marine Corps, only never joins. He can put it on a fit rep, but that wouldn't matter if he doesn't meet his montly quota.

Call the PSR. Most of them are really good about pointing you in the right direction or giving advise. In the end, you will still have to go through a recruiter.

An alternate way, just longer, become a drilling reservist (SMCR), then go to AR (active reserve) or active duty. Sort of a back door to the system. I was active duty for 9 years prior to becoming a reservist (trying out the civilian thing). I honestly do not like the reserves, but having the ability to put my uniform back on, even once a month, numbs the pain of not doing it everyday.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-01-07, 04:10 PM
Bingo. The Corps really takes it's sweet *ssed time with prior service Marines. I waited, literally, since last October without hearing a dang thing from my PSR, who has less than impressed me. No word, no email, calls unanswered, etc etc, and I was trying to join a USMCR unit that had an open slot for me, and would have taken me in a heartbeat.

The only thing I can tell you is keep after this guy, be a pest, keep calling and going by, emailing, the whole bit. If, after another 2 weeks you don't hear anything, find out who the district NCOIC is and give them a buzz.

Be forewarned, however.....once you put your hand in the air, you are IMMEDIATELY on active duty, and you should be ready to report to your next duty station, allowing for travel time. There is no waiting, you just go. Keep that in mind.

Lastly, I got so tired being hosed around by my PSR I'm working on going into the Air Guard. They have been fast and efficient thus far, and I'm only about a week into the process.

9yearcontract
08-01-07, 06:24 PM
Another thing that you have to take in account for is that you just don't come back into the Marine Corps as your original MOS. You have to submit 3 MOS choices, then you have to do the same for duty station. It is a long process, but if you find a PSR/Active recruiter, see them in person. In addition, if you have to find the NCOIC, look on the internet for the closet recruiting station, it usually lists the disrict headquarters and the the SNOCIC.

Good Luck.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-02-07, 05:45 AM
Thanks SSgt, I did forget to mention that part of the process. When I went through this in '97 going back on active duty, I had to do that as well. And, the Corps (being the Corps LOL) then TOLD me which MOS I could go back into (it wasn't one of my picks) and basically said "Take it or leave it". I took it :)

My issues this time could be because I was looking to get back into the reserves vice active duty, but who knows. Good luck whichever way you decide to go!

Petz
08-01-08, 11:38 PM
going into the reserves allows you to get an MOS change as a sign up bonus. Not all reserve stations rate your MOS but the Corps will take you because of your expertise. They will just retrain you. I know about 5 reservists who did this... however I opted out since they rated my MOS.

as for getting back in... well I'm slowly working on that.

SGT TRAX
06-03-09, 08:56 PM
Quick question, I just started the process yesterday to get back in on active duty and am working with the Station Commander here and he said it will take a little while for my packet since I originally got out with a RE Code 3O. I served a tour with the Army Reserves in Afghanistan and received a DD214 with them that he said should take care of the first one. I was just wondering if anyone had a good idea of the time frame I am looking at here. And trust me when I say I a ready to go. My wife is even ready for me to go.

Petz
06-03-09, 09:40 PM
unfortunately the Marine Corps closed down all PSEPers until october 1st where you will have to compete for a boat space. The Corps though numerically larger has gotten a lot tighter.... your last DD214 is what they will use, if it's mobilized army reserves (as you wouldn't have gotten a dd214 any other way) then your re enlistment code from that trumps your older one.

SGT TRAX
06-03-09, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I will just keep at it here until then.

Petz
06-04-09, 09:57 AM
well, I'm sure they started your process because it'll take a while to get your status changed...

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78160

go here and NoRemorse will help you with your re enlistment code changes as he's that threads resident on those things.

these other threads are redundant as most of these questions are answered in this thread... more specific questions can be asked in there as well.

rheinmark187
06-04-09, 07:01 PM
I got out of the marine corps in july of 03 as a cpl. with the mos 0311 RE-ENTRY CODE OF RE-1A...no real reason for getting out but wanting to try out civilian life....I graduated the police academy and passed the state test for law enforcement I am almost done with the hiring process for the sheriff's dept...But it has not filled the void I miss the corps...so after alot of disccusions with my wife she has agreed to let me go back to the marines........Two thursdays ago I spoke with the recruiting office in my town were I 1st. joined ,the staff sgt. told me to come by the office that friday and he would get my paper work going so I could go to meps. I went that firday an he made copies of my dd-214 forms, marriage certificate, ect. ect. ect. He then told me that he would call me the next monday but he never did call I did not hear from him on tuesday either so I gave him call on wendsday he apologized for not calling me and said the office was a mad house ..He told me to go by the office the next day at 1500 which I did and to my surprise he was not there and the offices were closed !!!...I gave the staff sgt. a call and left him a message telling him that I know he probablly got cought up doing something and to give me a call back so we could get my paperwork done so i could go to meps .....It's allready monday and i have not heard from him....I went to the marine corps website and got the number for the closest prior service recruiter which is in a city about 1 hr. away...My question is should i forget about the staff sgt. and go ahead and call the psr ???....i fell like he does not want to deal with the extra paper work for a prior service marine and waivers he said I would need one because i have 4 dependents including myself...anyway any advice and suggestions welcomed I just want the fastest way back to the Corps!!!

PSR is who you should be speaking to.

Cpl Lowden
06-23-09, 04:31 PM
I got out of the Corps last August as a Cpl. Now I'm trying to go back in. The recruiter in my town said that I may loose a rank going back in. Why is this? How likely is it? And what does it depend on?
One of my old Sgts that I still keep in touch with got out as a Cpl and stayed out for 4 years. When he came back in he still came back in as a Cpl. He said there was an order in 2003 preventing you from loosing rank when you come back in.
Any help or advice on this?

DocGreek
06-23-09, 04:46 PM
No Profile?? WTF??....DOC

Cpl Lowden
06-23-09, 04:47 PM
I just got on here today. Haven't figured out the profile thing yet.

Petz
06-23-09, 05:22 PM
no you won't lose rank, go talk to another recruiter.

Cpl Lowden
06-23-09, 05:33 PM
Why would he even say that if there's no chance of it happening? I've got a freind on recruiting duty in Chicago...but he said he didn't know alot about re-enlisting b/c he hadn't had anybody prior service yet. He's only been on the job a month or so.

quest23
06-23-09, 06:19 PM
Like Ssgt P said....YOU WONT LOSE RANK...GO TALK TO ANOTHER RECRUITER....

What ever your current rank is right now...or what ever your rank was at you ECC ..that is what you will get.

I left active duty as a Sgt, got promoted in the IRR, and when I submitted my package, my recruiter did the paperwork off my DD214 which had Sgt. It got kicked back..They said that I have to keep my rank. But in my case,,SNCO's packages go on a recession board. There they decide if i keep rank or not. Your case....there is no board...and there is no loss in rank...Period!

Achped
06-23-09, 06:40 PM
Wow. Got a job with the Sheriff and you want back in the Corps.

What is the world coming to? What world did I leave behind? Everyone I knew that got out before I got in LOVED it, and I'm not talking about just for a few months either. People who'd been out for 5 years were absolutely enjoying the lack of bull****.

And you want it again.

Haha, take my spot man. My pack is on the floor and my uniform is balled up in the corner somewhere. What size do you wear?

Petz
06-23-09, 08:36 PM
it all depends on what part of the country and job you get when you get out... not everyone will go move in with their parents after they get out and mooch off of them for 5 years.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-23-09, 09:02 PM
Wow. Got a job with the Sheriff and you want back in the Corps.

What is the world coming to? What world did I leave behind? Everyone I knew that got out before I got in LOVED it, and I'm not talking about just for a few months either. People who'd been out for 5 years were absolutely enjoying the lack of bull****.

And you want it again.

Haha, take my spot man. My pack is on the floor and my uniform is balled up in the corner somewhere. What size do you wear?

LOL. Typical of the Marine serving during ANY war or even just during Peacetime.

But there is a percentage of us who, even after all that 'bs', missed it!

And came back in...even after being cops (like me). And I went from Sgt to LCpl when I did it back in 97!

Achped
06-23-09, 11:20 PM
Hey what can I say? Today I got yelled at for not saluting on the range...give me a ****ing break...oh and for wearing a boonie cover. I guess using my intelligence in trying to hide from the sun is...

Sgt Leprechaun
06-23-09, 11:32 PM
LOL. Oh, rest assured, I had my share of THOSE 'people'. Not saluting on the range...in MY dayofficers got pizzy when you saluted them 'in the field' and I always thought the range was the field...

But then again, taking advice from a Marine who first made Sgt in June of 87 and has not...and likely never WILL, make SSgt/E-6 probably isn't the best of ideas....

:)

Petz
06-23-09, 11:32 PM
I think you're full of sh!t... what was that SNCOs name?

there is no way they said you need to salute on the range... you're just asking for someone to get hurt.

if it is true, he must have deployed to Iraq recently.

Petz
06-23-09, 11:33 PM
LOL. Oh, rest assured, I had my share of THOSE 'people'. Not saluting on the range...in MY dayofficers got pizzy when you saluted them 'in the field' and I always thought the range was the field...

But then again, taking advice from a Marine who first made Sgt in June of 87 and has not...and likely never WILL, make SSgt/E-6 probably isn't the best of ideas....

:)

you saying you're still in?!

why wouldn't you make it? the IRR will promote you quickly!

Achped
06-23-09, 11:42 PM
Wait, really? You think I'm lieing? You really don't know how ****ed up **** is then. Because I saw a CWO salute a major ON THE FIRING LINE holding his rifle. I swear to God. He was snapping in, saw the major come over, stood up, slung his rifle, and saluted. And if you think I'm lieing I don't give a ****.

And I'm smarter than to dime out a SNCO on the internet for being a ****stick.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-24-09, 12:10 AM
SSgt P, I'm in the Air Guard at present, as a SSgt/E-5, can retire in Jan. The AF promotes differently and by available slot/billet for your rank..there isn't any for me at present and I'm not willing to retrain (AGAIN) just to be a Tech when I can retire as an E-5.

And, Achped, having seen plenty of FUS (Frakked up shiite) in my day, and been chewed on by the worst/best of em, I have no problem believing your tale.

And yeah, naming names...NEVER a good idea.

Achped
06-24-09, 12:26 AM
Are you Active duty Sgt Leprechaun?

Sgt Leprechaun
06-24-09, 12:40 AM
Negative. Air National Guard traditional Guardsman now.

Petz
06-24-09, 12:55 AM
achped... wow, I mean wow... It's not that I don't believe you... it's just that I find it so hard to believe.... but then again, HI has aloha fridays and you can go around in your flip-flops into the 7 day store with your board shorts.

it's a different environment out there.

when you re-enlist you'll see the difference.

Achped
06-24-09, 07:07 PM
lol SSgt, I loved that little bit on the end of your post.

Petz
06-24-09, 09:33 PM
thought I'd sneak that one in on ya.

ELTOROLOCO
06-25-09, 11:57 PM
"An alternate way, just longer, become a drilling reservist (SMCR), then go to AR (active reserve) or active duty. Sort of a back door to the system. I was active duty for 9 years prior to becoming a reservist (trying out the civilian thing). I honestly do not like the reserves, but having the ability to put my uniform back on, even once a month, numbs the pain of not doing it everyday."

That's a good way to control what's happening with your career, civilian and military. You should try and get the job as law enforcement, do the reserve thing, and see how you like it. If law enforcement doesn't do it, see if your local RS rates your MOS as a billet. <!-- / message -->

killbodies3027
06-26-09, 07:04 AM
Here's a stupid question: Did anyone in your command instruct you to wear the boonie? Because, my thinking is, no one else at the range was wearing one and you were &quot;the one&quot; who did. Something...

Petz
06-26-09, 08:31 AM
KB... do you know why our covers have a bill on them instead of us wearing just be a beenie and sun glasses? Same reason for a boonie... and I'd say that since he falls under the ranges command and...

killbodies3027
06-26-09, 08:47 AM
You completely missed the point I was making, SSgt. I didn't say anything about him having to follow any orders from anyone except his chain, hence the question: Did anyone in your command instruct you to wear the boonie? Until I know the answer to this question, I can't comment any further.

I don't care what anyone wears when they qual to be honest, as long is it's within regulation. But if you go make yourself stick out by being the only person wearing an piece of uniform that no one else is wearing, and that you weren't instructed to wear, then you should expect some heat to rain down on you.

Petz
06-26-09, 08:49 AM
but you did comment farther with the sticking out like a sore thumb statement... that's assuming he's the only one... so you assumed.

and I don't think anyone will rain heat on someone wearing a gortex any time of the year... even if they ARE the only one.

you point is baseless... it's relative to the person doing the crying about it.

killbodies3027
06-26-09, 08:54 AM
Yes, I'm assuming, which is exactly what you are doing as well.

How is my point baseless? The Marine Corps is all about uniformity, not individuality. This is taught in depth from boot camp on. If his entire company was on the range wearing 8 point covers and he decided, "You know what, fvck it, I'm going to wear my boonie because I want to!" then he deserves what he got. Besides, what's so hard about asking questions? All he had to do is ask his squad leader, or platoon sergeant to ask command if it would be alright to wear a boonie. Takes all of 5 minutes and he would have saved himself a lot of trouble.

Also, if he wasn't the only one wearing the boonie, then something tells me he wouldn't have been scolded for wearing it.

Petz
06-26-09, 09:04 AM
not at the range.

and I didn't assume, I left it up to his command to be responsible and tell him what he is allowed to wear.

YOU are assuming his command failed and that is why he's getting his assed chewed.

now, I would say that I made a statement that is based on a long standing fact of reality in the Marine Corps.... your command will unfvck you.

you are assuming they just ignore him all day and let the shooters fix him...

now ask yourself who is assuming and who's making a factual statement.

now, I'm pretty sure the Cpl is adult enough to wear things he is authorized to wear... when they all get together in the morning for their brief I'm sure he'd be told to lose the cover if he wasn't allowed... that's assumption # 2, that he wouldn't be corrected by HIS seniors.

And your last statement is another assumption. This probably wouldn't be a problem if he just had the coaches cover.... but I'd go so far as to say it wouldn't matter.

killbodies3027
06-26-09, 09:07 AM
You're putting a lot of words in my mouth, but until he answers my question(s) I'm not going to argue anymore.

Petz
06-26-09, 09:11 AM
I'm not putting words in your mouth, your words put assumptions out there.

you are not thinking about what you are writing and it's meanings to the reader.

LOST MARINE
09-09-10, 10:43 PM
WELL IM GOING TO JUST PUT THIS OUT THERE HOW DO I GET BACK INTO THE CORPS. WITH A RE3F I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO THIS SINCE I WAS 18 LOCAL RECRUITERS TOLD ME I WOULD HAVE TO WAIT 2 YEARS AND NOW ITS BEEN LONGER.any answers would greatly help

Sgt Leprechaun
09-09-10, 10:59 PM
Without a profile, you'll have no answers.

LOST MARINE
09-09-10, 11:09 PM
i got a re 3f and was tryn to find out who to go to.I need to get it changed. i have been workin on this for 6 years.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-09-10, 11:23 PM
Again...no profile...no answers...

BUT...I will say this. Unless you can PROVE, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the RE code was issued "In error", it will NOT be changed. No matter how much you want it to be. Just the way it is.

quest23
09-10-10, 12:44 PM
Getting back in is no easy process. It was hard for me and I'm a SNCO. Getting advice here without a profile is harder. Fix yourself. And we will help

Kill

blitzergixxer
07-28-11, 03:28 PM
I got out of the Marine Corps in January 2009 and went into the Army. I am now wanting back in. I am a Sgt, but I was a Cpl when I got out. Is there a form to complete in order to transfer branches? Also, would I keep my current rank and MOS(Marine Corps equivalent is 2621)?

Sgt Leprechaun
07-28-11, 05:50 PM
There is no form or anything else to complete to do an interservice transfer, that I'm aware of. Basically what you'll have to do is complete your current enlistment, and go to a regular recruiter within 90 days of EAS, and reenlist. You will NOT get to keep E-5 since it's an army earned and not Marine Corps earned. Depending on how much time in service you have, you may not be able to reenlist into the Corps at all, since Time in Grade restrictions are going to begin to be an issue for you (You'll need to make SSgt before you hit the 13 year mark and you'll be starting over as a Cpl over 8 years...hard to do...possible but hard).

Talk to a Marine Corps recruiter (in person) and go from there.

MOS will be dependant on the 'needs of the Corps'. If they don't need Cpl's in it, then no.